Will individual player match ratings ever get sorted?

These are just so wrong, year in, year out. They don't seem to have been changed in years. They bare little resemblance to what you'd see in the paper.

Prime example just happened to me:

We're at home, absolutely torturing the opposition. They hardly see the ball. They have 5 shots, three of them from long range and charged down by the defenders.

They have two shots on target, and score from both.

And my keeper gets an 8. An EIGHT. For letting two from two in.

Stuff like this has existed for far too long. In the paper he'd get 6 tops. And never more than a 7.

It's just W R O N G

Originally posted by Nomis07:

Did you watch the full match?

I ask because your keeper acting as a sweeper and stopping 3 through balls and collecting 10 crosses, but being caught out by 2 unstoppable shots may add up to an 8 rating. If you don't watch full match you don't actually know how good he is and so you don't actually know if the ratings system doesn't work.

Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

The ratings you see on FM shouldn't be confused with "newspaper ratings".

Especially when Lawro and Motty were going on about how good Rooney was against the USA then the Sun gave him a 5 and the Express gave him 8.

You're all replying like Keepers haven't been rated based on how well the team does for the last five years.

You'll be telling me they react as real life keepers do on penalties next. Or has that not been HOPELESSLY flawed for the last 5 years?

Originally posted by JohnShaft:

You're all replying like Keepers haven't been rated based on how well the team does for the last five years.

I've drawn a match with the keeper getting 8 and everyone else getting 6 or below so I don't think it is based on how the team does.

You'll be telling me they react as real life keepers do on penalties next. Or has that not been HOPELESSLY flawed for the last 5 years?

Bit of an issue, but basically they still save penalties from time to time. So as I see it if they are going to save it they will move and if they can't save it they don't move, so no big deal.

I think the ratings seem a bit of a joke on my FMO8 (not updated).

Pretty much every game 80% of my players are rated 7. I've had CB's who been given a near constant 7.00 for 6 seasons. For a player to exceed a 7 they must have either scored or had 2 assists which is completely un life-like because players can have huge impacts in games without actually being the man playing the final pass or tapping the ball in but they will still get a 7.

And you basically have to score a hat-trick to get a 9, so defenders and midfielders have no chance

Originally posted by Nomis07:

I've drawn a match with the keeper getting 8 and everyone else getting 6 or below so I don't think it is based on how the team does.

Keepers can get good ratings when the team does poorly. Keepers almost never get poor ratings when the team does really well. Even if they're swiss cheese.

Bit of an issue, but basically they still save penalties from time to time. So as I see it if they are going to save it they will move and if they can't save it they don't move, so no big deal.

The above is a *completely flawed interpretation of football*, THAT'S the deal.

Anyone whose seen ten professional penalties in their life knows that 90%-ish of the time the keeper dives as the balls being struck, in a predetermined direction. He does not wait until he sees which side the ball is being hit before moving, because it would be past him before he *could* move.

"If they can't save it they don't move". Yeah, on penalties that's real realistic.

Sorry, but i'll disagree again. In my CL semis with Barcelona I won 4-1 against Chelsea and Valdes got a 5. I'm pretty sure plenty of people will have witnessed this as well. There was even a thread started earlier today stating that players never improved from a 5 rating if they have made a mistake or performed badly in the first half, no matter how well they perform in the second half. So that would seem to prove that on occasion a keeper is bound to get a poor rating despite the team doing well, if they don't perform.

At no point did I say the keeper not moving when the penalty was being taken was realisitic or not realistic. It's a non issue, as long as they save them from time to time, who cares. I understand it shouldn't be the case, but technically it makes no difference to the outcome and so isn't to the detriment of the game.

I went from 5.0.5 to 8.0.2 not long ago, and one thing I'm very disappointed about is ratings. They were better in FM05, and weren't great then. Now, almost without exception, whoever scores gets an 8, and no one can be MoM unless they are in goal or they score. It's really gone downhill over three years.

Now, almost without exception, whoever scores gets an 8, and no one can be MoM unless they are in goal or they score. It's really gone downhill over three years.

I disagree there. My holding midfielder more often than not gets MOM. Plus I have had strikers score and get a 7 or even a 6.

Archived