Home Grown players

With different nationalites, such as Brazilian, Italian etc. Whats the exact parameters for them being homegrown? I've got a few players that are around 20/21/22 that have been at my club Man Utd for four seasons + and are classed as home grown. Which is great as the English players are crap, also i have three Scottish players but they're not classed as home grown.

They've got to be trained at the club (or another english club) for a significant number of years. Take the example of Arsenal:

Senderos is home grown, as is Bendtner as they were brought in at the age of 16.

While I can't remember the exact number of years they need to be trained at an english club, I'm fairly sure they'll need to be in-country from the age of 16 (hence why your own youth products / any youths you've bought off other english clubs young will qualify, but those bought from abroad won't).

For an English team the current definition is:

"a home grown is a player trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system."

So they must of trained in the League system you play in for at least 3 years before they are 21.

For an English team the current definition is:

"a home grown is a player trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system."

So they must of trained in the League system you play in for at least 3 years before they are 21.

Just to be clear, that's for homegrown in the country, HG club is the same thing but the player must be owned by your team for those three years training.

so if I sign a player at 18 and he can't get a work permit, loan him to my Belgian feeder for 3 seasons does he then be HG for me or for my Belgian affiliate?

He'll be home grown.

Best thing to do is put him in the reserves for two seasons, then loan him out to another club.

He'll be ripe for the first team at 19 - 21 years of age.

thanks, but I'll need him to get a EU passport first, hence the 3 years in Belgium.

its before they turn 21? right so if u sign an 18 year old he could end up being a few days short of getting the HG status, best to sign them at 17

Yeah but I thought - though I may be wrong that if you loan a player out to a foreign club (not your country) this therefore does not count towards trained as club/nation for that particular year - but I could be wrong.

He's your player, you hold his rights. He's just going to another club on 'loan' so he does count towards your HG status. Sometimes signing Brazilians you can miss out because you can only get them when they turn 18, so if they can get to your club at that point then they will most likely be under the required 3 years.

Why isn't your youth intake already HG, surely some of them were in the academy as 13 year olds for instance. I'm sure this was in previous versions but now you have to wait 3 years from the intake.

Can anyone confirm or deny that having a Youth Academy makes them home grown when they join your youth ranks?

Denied

They have to have been at your club for three years between the ages of 15 and 21. So the earliest a player can be classed as homegrown is when they turn 18.

This is correct :thup:

Archived