Squad Rotation Question

I typically play as big teams and my goal is to quickly build a second 11 squad of quality.

So I use team A for the big games in the CL or top league teams, then use the B squad for minor cup skirmishes and against lesser teams in the league.

Generally I look at the calendar and start the team accordingly at the start of the month, so that I'm swapping the two teams out every other game.

What effect does this have on the team? Is it possible to keep everyone happy and have everyone locked in to their role in the tactic? For example, if a player plays 90% of his games in the B team, but gets the bump to the A team to cover for an injury, does he have to relearn his place in the squad, even though he is playing the same tactic in the B team?

That's far more upheaval than is necessary - I'm sure the game doesn't see it as two settled teams, but as 1 team being overly tinkered with every game.

You can keep players happy with much less rotation - i.e. just a few at a time is reasonable!

Something like below 94-95. But if your players can only play 1 game a week above that, then you're training them too hard.

Well I typically like playing guys that are 99-100%, but never use anyone 94% or below.

I use Tugg's training, that should be too tough should it?

I'll monitor it

My first XI are my first XI. Enough said.

Replacements:

4-5 positions with replacement quite equal to first XI player. So I will rotate them quite often or choose my player depending on opposition (e.g. more defending midfielder for stronger opponents or away games) and fitness

2-3 positions where first XI player is young talent 22-24 yo and his backup is older experienced player with age around 30-32. Old players are not bad, but they tend to lack stamina to hold their form, but if necessary (suspensions, injuries) can cover the place.

Several players are young talents - not good enough (yet) to be in first XI, but will get substitution time and first team place here and there, against weaker teams, cup games etc. I usually don't start with many on them, just pick couple of youngsters for one game.

With this system I usually do well enough and youngsters get enough playing time to develop and everybody's happy.

I tend to follow player's form very closely. So even if my team plays very well and 1-2 guys play below-par compared to others, it's common that they will be replaced next time and if replacement player can do better, I stick to him for a while.

I swap around 3-5 players if I fitness is down or form not so good.

I try to keep the GK, DC, DC and DMC the same all of the time though, at the least. I think this maintains some form of consistency amongst the squad and allows them to build up teamwork between them blabla.

Something like below 94-95. But if your players can only play 1 game a week above that, then you're training them too hard.
My first XI are my first XI. Enough said.

Replacements:

4-5 positions with replacement quite equal to first XI player. So I will rotate them quite often or choose my player depending on opposition (e.g. more defending midfielder for stronger opponents or away games) and fitness

2-3 positions where first XI player is young talent 22-24 yo and his backup is older experienced player with age around 30-32. Old players are not bad, but they tend to lack stamina to hold their form, but if necessary (suspensions, injuries) can cover the place.

Several players are young talents - not good enough (yet) to be in first XI, but will get substitution time and first team place here and there, against weaker teams, cup games etc. I usually don't start with many on them, just pick couple of youngsters for one game.

With this system I usually do well enough and youngsters get enough playing time to develop and everybody's happy.

I tend to follow player's form very closely. So even if my team plays very well and 1-2 guys play below-par compared to others, it's common that they will be replaced next time and if replacement player can do better, I stick to him for a while.

Well my second 11 is every bit on par with my first 11. Here are my squads

Team A

------------Dzeko-------------

Kaka---------------------Ronaldo

----Van der Vaart---Alonso------

------------Diarra-------------

Arbeloa - Albiol - Pepe - Ramos

-----------Casillas------------

Team B

------------Benzema-------------

A Young-------------------Granero

-------Veloso-----Moutinho-------

-------------Gago----------------

Marcelo - Metzelder - Mexes - Srna

-----------Enyeama--------------

Then I also have Raul, Gonzo, Raul Jr, Drenthe

Most of team B is on par with team A minus the wingers. (Though they have epic ratings since they are playing against lesser teams)

I only Tinker on two levels.

One is when my Main striker is having an absolute nightmare and hasn't put a shift in for the past 5 games.

Secondly i'll quite often Switch my Wingers, the most i can get out of them is two games in a row before i have to switch.

Apart from that i keep everything pretty simple.

I use squad rotation quite heavily and try to have at least 2 players for each position. In a 60 game season for example, I may only have 2 players who play over 40 games and all will play at least 15 and that keeps the whole team reasonably fresh and happy. Clearly I do have a first choice team whcih I sue for the important matches.

I have 2 full XIs.

I don't have set teams though, just a player for every position and a backup for every position. All the top teams have it but rarely do they use a first/second choice system.

By the end of the season even my least played player will have circa 30 games. My highest is unlikely to be as high as 45.

Well I typically like playing guys that are 99-100%, but never use anyone 94% or below.

I use Tugg's training, that should be too tough should it?

I'll monitor it

I'm 92%. Dunno why. Probably because I have so many injuries and its out of necessity.

I have been known to mistakenly put players in at 73% and not notice until half time. Not good for them!!

Archived