'Super Keeper' bug may not be as much of one as we think it is....

Currently here in America the National Hockey League playoffs are taking place. Living in chicago, where we have a team still who are still in the playoffs, I am always hearing talk about them and hockey in general on the radio. Now, from what I understand, one of the most important aspects for a team to be successful is to have a 'hot' goalie (aka an in form keeper). My local station spent literally half the time debating which of our keepers was in better form or 'hot' before the playoffs began.

Now that got me thinking about keepers in football and I remembered something that both a friend of mine (a goalie) and a coach told me when I was younger:

Goalies like making saves on a regular basis (not necessarily the extraordinary, body at full stretch ones) because it keeps them on their toes. My mate said that if he had been static for a majority of the match and then was forced to make a tough save, there was a greater likely hood that he would concede because he may not have been as ready for it. It seems that physical readiness was as important as mental.

At the same time, on the other side of it, if a goalie is constantly getting battered by the oppositions shots, he could in fact become a 'hot' keeper and in my experience, it can be very difficult to score on those.

If said keeper is having to stop similar kinds of shots, he is likely to find a rhythm than can be difficult to break. Which would make him look like a super keeper, play above his perceived ability. I think the same can be said if he is saving varied types of shots.

Now, I know that in FM, at times, it looks like the ME is trying to make you lose and this may happen more than it likely would in real life......but these situations are realistic and its nice to see SI trying to implement this instances.

Yes it is not perfect and needs improvement but it does seem realistic.

And yes, I do feel it can be buggy at times and it does test my patience (and raise my blood pressure), but I just want you to consider that it as a realistic situation instead of just condemning it as a bug when you find yourself on the bad side of it.

i apologise for bringing it up.....

Its been on my mind for a few days and I just thought I would write it down.....

Ok, my post was a little harsh.

Your post was actually a good read and a lot of it makes a lot of sense, however I don't think it actually relates to FM.

You cannot compare ice hockey to football. Look at the size of the net in ice hockey. No wonder keepers in that sport are the most important players.

I wasn't trying to compare the two sports. All I said was that it reminded me about one aspect of goalkeeping in football.

You cannot compare ice hockey to football. Look at the size of the net in ice hockey. No wonder keepers in that sport are the most important players.

He makes a very good point to be honest. He's right and you hear it from commentators and pundits alike. Always praising GK for the one excellent save at the end of the match especially if they had nothing to do all game.

Nice effort in writing that down but I don't think this thought is actually implemented in the ME. Anyway, it's a good way to explain the superkeepers to those who believe in them. :thup:

I would never actually call them superkeepers no matter how many ridiculous saves he makes because, in game and in real life, he can make a mistake the very next minute. No one is perfect but if you put a decent keeper in a situation where he is constantly making saves, he will get into a rhythm and he will gain confidence, and believe he is better than he is. And if your on the team attacking, at some point he will start to look like Clark Kent in a Tottenham kit.

The concept of "hot" keepers coupled with player confidence levels (especially reflected in the "Motivation" drop-down widget-thing) might make sense, though as others say, it might not have actually been coded. Nice idea, though.

Archived