Newgen dubbed the next.. Pele

Easily remedied in the Editor, I'd guess. Haven't messed around with it myself, but I'd think it's similar to older versions where you can just add "Famous Players" and their descriptions (Cultured Winger, Flamboyant Foward, Midfield Playmaker, etc) and I think their height? Can't quite rememeber.

Why, he's Brazil's and the world's greatest ever player?

I don't know, ask PMLF. Probably because he isn't in the game, though that shouldn't stop him being added as a retired person.

Easily remedied in the Editor, I'd guess. Haven't messed around with it myself, but I'd think it's similar to older versions where you can just add "Famous Players" and their descriptions (Cultured Winger, Flamboyant Foward, Midfield Playmaker, etc) and I think their height? Can't quite rememeber.

It's exactly that. Name, Description, Height (tall/medium/short). Players are assigned an "idol" based on nationality, description and height.

I don't know, ask PMLF. Probably because he isn't in the game, though that shouldn't stop him being added as a retired person.

Cryuff isn't in the game either as far as I know, because he's the manager of Catalunia or whatever? It's strange. I'd like to hear from PMLF, maybe there's a genuine reason as I'm sure one of the greatest players ever wouldn't be forgotten when making the game

Cryuff is listed as a famous player for Holland. I'd imagine Pele isn't because there's no one who'll be the next him, and anyone that good will deserve to be regarded as a legend in their own right.

But surely the game can produce a player who can better Pele's record?

This is the appropriate time for NepentheZ to come in and mention Andrew Smylie... :D

Now that's what I meant this thread to be.. almost. :D

Still this stupidity is the reason why we need to have all kinds of stats for everything possible player-wise going back to as much as early as we can.

Cryuff isn't in the game either as far as I know, because he's the manager of Catalunia or whatever? It's strange. I'd like to hear from PMLF, maybe there's a genuine reason as I'm sure one of the greatest players ever wouldn't be forgotten when making the game
Well like I was asked I've sent a PM to PMLF to see why Pele hasn't been added in the game.

He is in the game, but he is not used for those comparisons simply because it would make little sense since unlike Argentina with Maradona, we in Brazil almost never seriously compare a player to Pelé as it would look absurd.

Besides, there is no "profile" there that fits Pelé characteristics, so a new Pelé in the game would like completely out of place compared to real life.

Sven Goran Eriksson compared Wayne Rooney to Pele and now his nickname is 'the white Pele'. If it can happen to Rooney then it should happen to a regen in the game.

Rooney is from England though, so if it was for it to happen in the game, then the English researchers would have to add Pelé as a famous English player so the comparison could be made.

He is in the game, but he is not used for those comparisons simply because it would make little sense since unlike Argentina with Maradona, we in Brazil almost never seriously compare a player to Pelé as it would look absurd.

Besides, there is no "profile" there that fits Pelé characteristics, so a new Pelé in the game would like completely out of place compared to real life.

Thanks PMLF I was going to say I've had a PM from you which read -

Hi, he is in the db, but he isn't used to be compared to because nobody really does this in Brazil, you can hear semi-serious comments but there is no such thing as a "new Pelé".

Isn't Robinho supposed to be the new Pele? Was at least.

I was under the impression that Robinho means Prince (Pele supposedly means king)? Basically a compliment that suggested he's next in line, in other words new Pele.

Isn't Robinho supposed to be the new Pele? Was at least.

I was under the impression that Robinho means Prince (Pele supposedly means king)? Basically a compliment that suggested he's next in line, in other words new Pele.

Robinho means little Robson. Pele is a nonsense word.

But you do call players the new Julio Baptista? :D

But you do call players the new Julio Baptista? :D

It's far more likely to happen than new Pelé since it's far easier to appear players like him.

The nickname Pelé is just a corrupted version of "Bilé" which was the nickname of another player, and was used to refer to Pelé when he was kid, but Pelé's little friends couldn't pronounce it properly.

I'm pretty sure if Messi was a brazilian they'd compare him to Pele pretty often

I don't think so, the whole dubbing thing isn't even that common here compared to other countries, and Pelé is too much of a legend. When we do compare someone to Pelé, is more often to do it in a insulting way, like saying "x thinks he is Pelé" when he tries something he doesn't know how to do.

Ah but see the problem is the whole dubbing thing - is ti done locally or is it done globally by the media and fans. If we talk about brazilian fans dubbing someone the next Pele - ok I guess impossible. But if we are talking in a world-wide media scale then it's more than possible. And I think that's the case in the game.

Robinho means little Robson. Pele is a nonsense word.

Ahhh ok spent years believing it's true I heard it somewhere just can't remember where.

It makes sense I guess since Ronaldinho supposedly means Little Ronaldo.

i admit it pele was an excellent player but he never played in Europe. he played in Brazil.that league was not professional like now also so İ am sure that there are another players who can break or near to his records if he plays in Brazilian Semi Professional Leagues. if Pele played for an european team he could not score that much in my opinion.

i believe that after Messi retired we will be talking about Pele or Messi who was the best.

Maradona was a better player than Pele, yet makes it onto the Argentina famous player list though! Is that simply because he's actually on the database?

The way to compare someone to Pele is on goalscoring feats alone, Maradona's are on skill and vision, to be fair Messi, Aguero and others are able to demonstrate that, but how many players have come close to scoring as many as Pele in relatively so few games. Maradona isn't all that great a player for me, not due to any thing on the international level, but he was so wasteful with it all. Maradona is 49 now, could you imagine him still being on a pitch now at the top level performing or even a few years ago still playing for his national side? At age 49 Sir Stanley Matthews was still playing out wide for Stoke in the top flight of English football; it shows you have true class and a great mind for the game when you can still do that and still last 90 minutes, it shows great self control and self conditioning, and at 44 was still turning out for England, because he was still one of the best.

Longevity isn't a matter for everyone, but still when someone can still do it well into their 40's and feel they retired too soon at 50... then there is something truly special about them.

It's far more likely to happen than new Pelé since it's far easier to appear players like him.

The nickname Pelé is just a corrupted version of "Bilé" which was the nickname of another player,

A goalkeeper iirc.

In my opinion Maradona will always be the greatest player ever just look at what he achived at Napoli single handedly almost. Until I see Messi or someone else do what he could they don't come close.

Pele was great But Santos were pretty much an allstar team at the time and there league standard was pretty poor, and when he finally did play outside of Brazil it was only in America!

i admit it pele was an excellent player but he never played in Europe. he played in Brazil.that league was not professional like now also so İ am sure that there are another players who can break or near to his records if he plays in Brazilian Semi Professional Leagues. if Pele played for an european team he could not score that much in my opinion.

i believe that after Messi retired we will be talking about Pele or Messi who was the best.

People like you are the worst kind of football fans. If he can score that many goals at international level (including in world cups) and you are still thinking "oh well he didn't play in Europe therefore he was overrated" you are sadly mistaken

Archived