Backwards Compatibility

Hi,

I guess this question may have been asked before, in fact I know this question has been asked before but I've got a slight twist on the question that I'd like to see what SI think of it.

My question is why can't we use previous games Databases within the latest version of FM?

It is something I'd really like to be able to do. Will it be able to be implemented into future games?

It is impossible because the new patch brings changes that are in existent in the earlier versions. It's like giving a five year old kid the task to ad 2+2=4 but with this change 2 2=4 do you think you can explain to him whats happening without introducing the + term.

I think it's possible but missing information will likely have to be randomised - i.e. things like manager tendencies would need to be missing or randomised. I'd imagine it's difficult though as legacy applications are hard enough to make backwards-compatible without worrying about the next iteration of the game.

• SI Staff

It's not likely. With each version new things are added to the database and some things will get removed. If we made no changes then it would be technically possible but then legal / licensing issues may prevent it. Not to mention changes to rule groups and league structures that are coded into the game and rely on the database being correct.

SCIAG, the problem wouldn't be on the contracts since those contracts would be base from the save that would be imported to the new game.

Like Ter said, the problem would be in leagues structures and rules changing between games and other things that may create a conflict with the new game.

If the contract expiry date is July 2008, then it will have already expired...

I think your not understanding. If a save game was to be imported to new game, the year the player saved (imagine October 2010), then that contract that supposed to end in the July 2008 no longer is applied.

It is pretty much the same thing with Save games when patches are released. The save game still is compatible and it still runs with the new patch, but your simply playing with another database then with database that was updated on the new patch.

I think your not understanding. If a save game was to be imported to new game, the year the player saved (imagine October 2010), then that contract that supposed to end in the July 2008 no longer is applied.

It is pretty much the same thing with Save games when patches are released. The save game still is compatible and it still runs with the new patch, but your simply playing with another database then with database that was updated on the new patch.

He said "databases", not "saved games".

Archived