A quad core 2.0Ghz faster than Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz?

I currently have a laptop with a Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz processor with 4 GB of RAM GeForce 9800M GTS mobile graphics card. It is a Gateway FX laptop. I am thinking of buying a new Gateway FX laptop which has a Quad Core 2.0Ghz processor, 4GB of RAM plus a GeForce GTX 260M mobile graphics card. The question is, is this a waste of money? Is a Quad Core 2.0Ghz processor faster than a Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz processor in handling Football Manager 2010? I love running my games with a lot of leagues loaded, for example over 180 leagues. Is this a wise investment? Please help and share your views! Is FM optimized for a Quad processor even though the speed in terms of Hertz is lower?

By the way, the OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for both laptops.

Thanks! :)

Tbf, your current laptop will run it at a pretty damn fast speed so, there is no real point in upgrading it.

Well, I am running 214 leagues with 88 nations in one of my saves at the moment and each game day takes about 15 to 20 minutes to process! I need more power! Besides when I try to load 256 leagues form 110 nations, there is an error message which says FM has stopped working! I love playing as many leagues as possible! :(

You will be lucky to get any laptop that would be able to run all those leagues. After every season it will get slower.

Well, in one of my other saves, I loaded 19 nations (all of them have the lowest league being activated so I can't exactly remember the exact number of leagues being loaded) and am now in the year 2018. It still runs pretty quick! :)

dont wasted your money bro, the computer you have is really good and you dont need 214 leagues......

OK, thanks for the kind advise! :D But the question is will a 2.0Ghz quad core be faster than 2.53Ghz dual core 2 processor? Or should I wait for a year and buy a PC instead with 3.0Ghz quad core?

Blancheflower just wondering. How fast is your current comp at say running 10leagues? ive ordered a Core 2 Duo Acer Laptop and was just wondering how many leagues i can run quickly.

I can say it is pretty fast! You won't even notice a lag! :) But you did not say how much RAM your laptop has. I have 4 GB of RAM and this helps tremendously. Also what is the speed of your Core 2 Duo laptop?

Running 10 leagues is a breeze on your laptop! I suggest you run 40 to 50 leagues and see how it goes for you! Frankly speaking, during the waiting time of playing FM, I just surf the net, comment on this forum or watch Youtube videos so I don't mind waiting 3 or even 7 minutes. But I am running 214 leagues in my other save and the time lag is about 15 minutes for each progressive day! :D

Blancheflower just wondering. How fast is your current comp at say running 10leagues? ive ordered a Core 2 Duo Acer Laptop and was just wondering how many leagues i can run quickly.

By the way, I never run 10 leagues! It is too little for me! Or did you mean playable nations? :D

To answer your question

A quad core 2.0Ghz faster than Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz?

The quad core is 2.0 ghz, and the core 2 duo is 2.53 ghz, so no it won't be faster.

You may be able to multi-task better. But the difference here is negligible.

To answer your question

The quad core is 2.0 ghz, and the core 2 duo is 2.53 ghz, so no it won't be faster.

You may be able to multi-task better. But the difference here is negligible.

Thanks for the response! So I should purchase a 3.0Ghz Quad core PC then! :D

Ok, here's a real answer: you can't compare "x" cores with "y" hertz, period.

Speed in a CPU depends on several considerations (like cache, processing method, etc) and software compatibility (for instance, multi-core is only useful is the program is: 1 - ready to take advantage of it, and 2 - it does a good job at it).

That said, with the little information you gave us, no one can give you an accurate answer.

Regardless, a desktop PC will always be better (in terms of price/performance) than any laptop, so chances are you're better off waiting.

The quad core would perform faster, with FM now taking advantage of multiple cores. Plus, if you do other things while playing like listen to music, browse the web, etc etc, you will notice a nice speed boost.

A little note on FM and memory, which is of course not the topic here, but does touch on the matter of how many leagues you can run and so on.

FM is a 32 bit program, which means that it can only use up to 2 gigs of RAM at any time. But in order to have that 2 gigs available for FM, you must have at least 3 gigs of RAM in the system. For a 32 bit OS that's pretty close to the maximum (~3.2 GB) you can have anyway. For 64 bit OS' this is not a concern since there's no point in having a 64 bit OS without at least 4 GB of RAM. This just means that adding more RAM will not help speed up FM after you've reached around 3 GB of system RAM. So the only other choice will be to upgrade the CPU. The faster the better, and more cores will help as FM can utilize multiple cores/threads, although I don't know, if it can use more than two. One would think it could use at least four, but are there some facts for this somewhere?

A little note on FM and memory, which is of course not the topic here, but does touch on the matter of how many leagues you can run and so on.

FM is a 32 bit program, which means that it can only use up to 2 gigs of RAM at any time. But in order to have that 2 gigs available for FM, you must have at least 3 gigs of RAM in the system. For a 32 bit OS that's pretty close to the maximum (~3.2 GB) you can have anyway. For 64 bit OS' this is not a concern since there's no point in having a 64 bit OS without at least 4 GB of RAM. This just means that adding more RAM will not help speed up FM after you've reached around 3 GB of system RAM. So the only other choice will be to upgrade the CPU. The faster the better, and more cores will help as FM can utilize multiple cores/threads, although I don't know, if it can use more than two. One would think it could use at least four, but are there some facts for this somewhere?

It can be confirmed that FM utilizes 4 cores; I read that somewhere. But can it utilize 6 cores?

I'm annoyed that I took notice of the game speed rating - which I since hear is useless. So until I get bored of this save, I'm stuck with one playable league and 5 viewable. Next time I'm doing ten!

I'm annoyed that I took notice of the game speed rating - which I since hear is useless. So until I get bored of this save, I'm stuck with one playable league and 5 viewable. Next time I'm doing ten!

What is the specifications of your PC mate? I guess you underestimated the capabilities of your PC! :D I also share the same fate. When I bought my new laptop in July 2009 and played FM 2010 with it, I "only" loaded 19 nations (all of the nations have the lowest league playable) and boy, it ran faster than expected! :D

Blanchflower1 :D

I really want to be able to run a number of leagues, playable too. I am finding that with 4 main leagues (top league viewable only) and England down to L2 fully playable, that there aren't enough players in the world - doesn't feel like the real world if you understand what I mean.

I might be underestimating it yes, hopefully I'm NOT overestingmating it and I really hope I can run a game with 5-10 nations at a good speed.

My specs are best viewed here: http://www.packardbell.co.uk/showroom/notebooks/easynote-tj/easynote-tj68-au-031-LX.BE902.001-1798.html

I don't run anything else other than Firefox and Norton (and yes I know, there are better but I got a years free off a friend so I'll live with it).

Blanchflower1 :D

I really want to be able to run a number of leagues, playable too. I am finding that with 4 main leagues (top league viewable only) and England down to L2 fully playable, that there aren't enough players in the world - doesn't feel like the real world if you understand what I mean.

I might be underestimating it yes, hopefully I'm NOT overestingmating it and I really hope I can run a game with 5-10 nations at a good speed.

My specs are best viewed here: http://www.packardbell.co.uk/showroom/notebooks/easynote-tj/easynote-tj68-au-031-LX.BE902.001-1798.html

I don't run anything else other than Firefox and Norton (and yes I know, there are better but I got a years free off a friend so I'll live with it).

I saw the specs but the CPU speed at dual core 2.1Ghz seems to be a bit light. But 4 GB of RAM is very good indeed for today's standard at least! :D But the video memory is shared which is a major disadvantage here. If you got more money to spend, I suggest you buy a laptop which has its own video memory plus increase the CPU speed a bit.

But I must add that this specs is good to play about 10 nations at a reasonable speed. :)

I'm glad you added your last sentance to your post :p

OK that's really useful, nice one. I bought the best I could for my money pretty much so am happy. Will run five nations on the next save and see how it runs. Thanks mate good to get a decent gauge on my laptop's performance.

It can be confirmed that FM utilizes 4 cores; I read that somewhere. But can it utilize 6 cores?

There have been screenshots of FM recognising upto 8 processing threads, which it treats essentially as 8 cores. The newest cores around like the i7 980x has 6 cores 12 threads, it will be interesting to see if it recognises and utilises 12 processing threads. However, a fair few people are flagging the 980x as quite a poor chip (from an overclocking point of view at least as its not too stable) so I wouldn't advise buying one at current prices lol.

Archived