10.3 DB v. 10.2 DB (and 10.4???)

I am about to start a long term game of FM2010, and have put in far too many hours customizing, creating, redoing a massive North American league structure. The editor files work great with the 10.2 DB, but generate a crash with 10.3. Questions:

* Any insight into what in 10.3 might be incompatible with the changes I made?

* Any advice on what is different between 10.3 and 10.2, especially in terms of the EPL clubs?

I want this long term game to start off as realistically as possible, so, working on the assumption that the player ratings in 10.3 are better than those in 10.2, I would love to make sure that, at least, the current top players/sides are reflected correctly. (For example, in test runs, Man city seems to usually win the EPL, making me wonder if their ratings are a bit too high, or if they just overperform with the AI tactics).

Are there rumors of a 10.4? Is it likely that it, as well, would be incompatible with the custom files?

I can't really help with you problems but I can tell you that there won't be a 10.4 patch.

Fair enough. So the question is what the major ratings changes were between 10.2 and 10.3, I guess. At this point, I am assuming I won't be able to reconcile the editor files with 10.3, so I'm stuck with that.

unless you have a spare week and compare the 2 files in a hex editor i doubt the information is available. i would always go with the newer version of db, there are always going to be ratings that cause wierd results but at least its based on the latest information.

Yea right, uptight si giving a dead product another patch? In your dreams more likley

i take it you dont like the game very much? its far from perfect but i really like fm2010 and ive found si are one of the better companys for supporting their products after release. I had a minor issue earlier today and someone responded from SI on the forums to it (just in general discussion didnt ask).

and no im not a fan boy, when they introduced DRM and in game advertising a few years ago I wasnt happy and I made my feelings well known.

not trying to be confrontational just wondering with the greatest possible respect why they are "uptight" and why fm2010 is a "dead product"?

unless you have a spare week and compare the 2 files in a hex editor i doubt the information is available. i would always go with the newer version of db, there are always going to be ratings that cause wierd results but at least its based on the latest information.

The problem is that 10.3 crashes with the Editor file I've created and, to date, I haven't been able to find anything that is useful in tracking down what is causing the crash. So, if I want to use the custom leagues I've spent dozens of hours creating (which I do), I am limited to the 10.2 DB.

Hence, the idea is that I can fire up 10.2, and then use FMRTE or something like that to update ratings to bring them in line with 10.3. Maybe. Not looking to do that for 1000's of players, but if key players on key sides have been significantly changed, I'd like my long term game to reflect that.

The problem is that 10.3 crashes with the Editor file I've created and, to date, I haven't been able to find anything that is useful in tracking down what is causing the crash. So, if I want to use the custom leagues I've spent dozens of hours creating (which I do), I am limited to the 10.2 DB.

Hence, the idea is that I can fire up 10.2, and then use FMRTE or something like that to update ratings to bring them in line with 10.3. Maybe. Not looking to do that for 1000's of players, but if key players on key sides have been significantly changed, I'd like my long term game to reflect that.

im sure it will crash due to the differences in the databases. I'm not sure who would know of the major changes from 10.2 to 10.3 short of SI but you could try the editors hideaway if you havent already.

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

otherwise i guess youll have to look them up all manually, must be annoying after hours of work :(

Yah, I posted here after posting there and getting no response.

It surprises me, as I would assume other people had a similar issue when 10.3 came out. I can't be the only one who was merrily working on a custom league in 10.2 ...

i take it you dont like the game very much? its far from perfect but i really like fm2010 and ive found si are one of the better companys for supporting their products after release. I had a minor issue earlier today and someone responded from SI on the forums to it (just in general discussion didnt ask).

and no im not a fan boy, when they introduced DRM and in game advertising a few years ago I wasnt happy and I made my feelings well known.

not trying to be confrontational just wondering with the greatest possible respect why they are "uptight" and why fm2010 is a "dead product"?

More important to them is they just release a new version year in year out for £30.00

It would be a much better game and just released patches at a reasonable price updating errors, Ok release a new version every other year, but they would get a lot more respect rather than releasing buggy games rushed to meet the Christmas period and then make 3 patches.

We should get a more complete game, a much less buggy game for £30.00

Disgrace.

More important to them is they just release a new version year in year out for £30.00

Thats business, if they didn't we wouldn't have a game at all.

It would be a much better game and just released patches at a reasonable price updating errors, Ok release a new version every other year, but they would get a lot more respect rather than releasing buggy games rushed to meet the Christmas period and then make 3 patches.

Has been said before that releasing a game every two years isn't viable.

Whenever the game is released there will be bugs because they simply can't test and fix everything. Even if you waited 10 years there would still be bugs.

Its not perfect but its the way the software industry works.

Disgrace.

You should take your blinkers off and have a look around.

SI are one of the better companies for supporting their software and releasing patches.

Disgrace.

Cougar has said everything I want to say, he's just made his points more eloquently than I would.

I take it you are one of the people who SI and Sega have held guns to so that you buy the product?

Yeah thought not. :rolleyes:

10.4 with the premium paid for 2010-2011 patch and FM11 would be the EXACT same game.

The bugs in FM10 are being fixed right now. Weak areas of the games are being addressed. The match engine improved. New sections created or old sections bettered. They could release it as a patch, or they could release it as a new game. There's absolutely no business reason to go for patch over new release though. It'd be financial suicide, giving a year's work away for free.

Cougar has said everything I want to say, he's just made his points more eloquently than I would.

I take it you are one of the people who SI and Sega have held guns to so that you buy the product?

Yeah thought not. :rolleyes:

Miles stole my cat while it was out, implanted an explosive device on it's neck, then sent it home with a note on the collar instructing me to buy the game from Steam in the next half-hour or he'd detonate. This was about an hour prior to release.

Thankfully, I'm still a fan of FM10. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than FM09, sure. Is it better than any other manager game out there? Unless there's a secret Ultimate Soccer Manager remake, hell yes!

Yea cougar has pretty much covered it. They need to make money and if they dont theyl be no game at all.

Even if there were 2 years of patches theres no way the game would be bug free with a piece of software this complex every time you fix something you are bound to inadvertently break something else.

Out of interest are there bugs in the game that ruin it for you? I personally suffer from the freeze bug a lot and have to work round it but wouldnt say its a game breaker.

Miles stole my cat while it was out, implanted an explosive device on it's neck, then sent it home with a note on the collar instructing me to buy the game from Steam in the next half-hour or he'd detonate. This was about an hour prior to release.

Thankfully, I'm still a fan of FM10. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than FM09, sure. Is it better than any other manager game out there? Unless there's a secret Ultimate Soccer Manager remake, hell yes!

Is Miles still doing that? As for the rest, well said, better than 09, perfect, no but what is?

Yea cougar has pretty much covered it. They need to make money and if they dont theyl be no game at all.

Even if there were 2 years of patches theres no way the game would be bug free with a piece of software this complex every time you fix something you are bound to inadvertently break something else.

Out of interest are there bugs in the game that ruin it for you? I personally suffer from the freeze bug a lot and have to work round it but wouldnt say its a game breaker.

I personally have not encountered any gamebreaking bugs. I'm touching wood whilst typing though, just in case!

Has been said before that releasing a game every two years isn't viable.

Whenever the game is released there will be bugs because they simply can't test and fix everything. Even if you waited 10 years there would still be bugs.

Its not perfect but its the way the software industry works.

I agree, that it wouldn't be viable, but what isn't viable is game company focusing currently in two games. Si did other two games, before they decided to shoot on their own foot, by giving up on the baseball and Hockey games. Now they have more pressure to get next FM and FML right or they are in serious trouble, like they were with CM4.

Don't get me wrong I hope that doesn't happen.

You should take your blinkers off and have a look around.

SI are one of the better companies for supporting their software and releasing patches.

Because if they don't half of the people here would not be in these forums and FM wouldn't have the half of the sales they do have now.

Before the internet appear game companies had a lot focus in delivered a bug free game or it would be their doom. Now internet a lot of companies release games to be complacent in releasing games as fast as they can and if there is bugs they will fix them by releasing patches to fix them. The prime example of last years is EA.

However the problem I have with this, I as costumer I'm paying for half finish product. It is like buying a car, where there there is bug using the breaks and hearing the radio at the same time, the car crashes and so on.

Before the Internet, the growth of CM was constant, because SI need to be sure that new features worked well with old ones. I play since CM1 literally without the need of patches, because the game worked as it should be and SI need to be sure they deleivered a great game. Now i feel that they release how it is and then simply wing it as they try to fix the games. Of course this could be great strategy for few years until costumers will reach a point that they will be tired and give up buying games.

Personally I see SI going down this road and I hope that they open their eyes before it is too late.

I agree, that it wouldn't be viable, but what isn't viable is game company focusing currently in two games. Si did other two games, before they decided to shoot on their own foot, by giving up on the baseball and Hockey games. Now they have more pressure to get next FM and FML right or they are in serious trouble, like they were with CM4.

Because if they don't half of the people here would not be in these forums and FM wouldn't have the half of the sales they do have now.

Before the internet appear game companies had a lot focus in delivered a bug free game or it would be their doom. Now internet a lot of companies release games to be complacent in releasing games as fast as they can and if there is bugs they will fix them by releasing patches to fix them. The prime example of last years is EA.

However the problem I have with this, I as costumer I'm paying for half finish product. It is like buying a car, where there there is bug using the breaks and hearing the radio at the same time, the car crashes and so on.

Before the Internet, the growth of CM was constant, because SI need to be sure that new features worked well with old ones. I play since CM1 literally without the need of patches, because the game worked as it should be and SI need to be sure they deleivered a great game. Now i feel that they release how it is and then simply wing it as they try to fix the games. Of course this could be great strategy for few years until costumers will reach a point that they will be tired and give up buying games.

Personally I see SI going down this road and I hope that they open their eyes before it is too late.

People always compare it to a car. Why? Its nothing like buying a car.

What it is like, is buying other software. To the best of my knowledge, SI are one of the top, top customer oriented companies out there. Even console developers patch games now thanks to Live and PSN.

As for CM1 playing well out of the box, don't you think that the game has become a little more complex than those days? There's at least one or 2 extra things going on and as we have seen these have led to bugs, which have now been fixed by the patches.

As I pointed out before, have SI/Sega forced any of you to buy this game? No, is the answer I'm sure. Therefore if you don't like it, take it back and get a refund, or don't buy it in the first place. If the games as bad as you all say then in no time they'll only be 3 or 4 of us left with copies and that will make SI sit up and take notice. However in reality theres about 5 of you who are upset and that won't even make a tiny blip on their balance sheet. So basically stop crying. When you find a better football manager game you be sure to drop by and tell us all about it.

Good luck with that search :thup:

Yea right, uptight si giving a dead product another patch? In your dreams more likley

In my dreams? What?

Did I ask for the patch? No.

Was I just ammused by the OP comment? Yes.

I’ve heard SI are going out of business ;).

I heard this too, they are being taken over by the makers of FIFA Manager. :eek:

*Touches many wooden items*

:p

In my dreams? What?

Did I ask for the patch? No.

Was I just ammused by the OP comment? Yes.

I heard this too, they are being taken over by the makers of FIFA Manager. :eek:

*Touches many wooden items*

:p

LOL

Youll give me nightmares of a fifa/fooball manager hybrid, of waking up one day to look in my strikers preffered moves and seeing he "likes to try quarterback sneak" or "gets all up in their grizzle", whatever that means.

Fifa Manager™ now with EA trick stick support and realistic Ronaldo orange fake tan renderring.

Seriously tho if anyone thinks SI treat their customers badly they should try EA, I remember on the release day of Spore their forums being full of people who couldnt even get the game to load and EAs response basically being "Well bring it a patch when we bloody feel like it until then will you ungrateful morons stop asking silly questions and enjoy the box and manual". I am exagerrating but honestly not that much.

Really not sure what you are getting at here grade :confused:

Are you suggesting they should get rid of everything else and concentrate all resources on FM or are you suggesting they should have a wider range of products (Wider spread of income) allowing them more time between releases of FM?

IMO FM & FML compliment each other especially in the ME. FML has allowed SI to test the updates to the ME much more frequently ironing out bugs resulting in a more stable/better version in FM.

They would probably lose some fans but I don't think it would have as much impact as you might think.

Other companies (Software/Games) that ignore customer still seem to sell plenty of their product.

I'm not convinced there was any extra pressure before the internet to release bug free software compared to now but you are right that it does offer a safety net to companies.

On the flip side though the internet has meant more bugs are noticed/reported which has led to an expectation/more pressure on companies to release patches/updates.

I would agree that in an ideal world a product would be perfect but in the real world it simply doesn't happen.

The more complicated the product, the higher the risk of faults/bugs within it and software is a complicated product with FM towards the top end of it.

Software doesn't compare directly with a car but how many new cars go back to garages with some sort of fault? more than you would think while most buyers of new build houses find a fault with their property.

Basically what you are saying is before the internet you never noticed the bugs but now you are older, wiser, more observant and read forums you spot them.

Its not that they weren't there before, you just notice them more now ;)

Seriously tho if anyone thinks SI treat their customers badly they should try EA, I remember on the release day of Spore their forums being full of people who couldnt even get the game to load and EAs response basically being "Well bring it a patch when we bloody feel like it until then will you ungrateful morons stop asking silly questions and enjoy the box and manual". I am exagerrating but honestly not that much.

That is sort of what happen after Command and Conquer 4, but instead of not being able to run the game it was that the game really sucks big time.

IMO FM & FML compliment each other especially in the ME. FML has allowed SI to test the updates to the ME much more frequently ironing out bugs resulting in a more stable/better version in FM.

Then why are we saw the ME bugs that we saw in this version? I not trying to moan or anything, but I fail to see the stability and the better version as you see. As you know I Still see that Fm07 is more enjoyable and fun and better version then FM10, however I'm willing to try FM10 once more, but doubt it, because it is too confusing in UI and the Press Conferences, Team talks, continuous Subs and the ME prevents me from liking as you do.

Archived