Team Talks: is this pure arcade?

Normally I just say nothing, seems the best morale booster of all. Only "pressure is off" seems to be useful against stronger opposition.

I sometimes try "expect a win" when my top 3 team palys a relegation battler (seems as evident as 1+1=2). One time out of two it ends with my team not creating anything and the oppsition scoring from their only chance and ending the match finally ending in a dissapointing draw (And I ask myself why I didn't say nothing as usual, then I use to win those games easily). I really have the feeling that those team talks are 100% arcade and nothing more.

Most of the time, the reaction in the player motivation box is not different, they just play worse.

Yeah at the start I would do the team talks but then I realised that they are there for cosmetic reasons - some people swear by them - but not me - only use them at full time to aviod the team getting unhappy.

Totally disagree. I have found the team talks very useful. Conversely, Never have i liked the media sessions - they are useless.

Its all about morale. If i have a player with very poor morale, a positive pre match talk may lift it to poor for the start. a a good game and "senastaional" at the close may list it further.

I always give some sort of team talk before the game. To be honest I don't know if it makes a great deal of difference there, and when I go back on my assistant's report it seems rare that they take much from it.

Half time though is a different matter. If I'm 2-0 down in a game I think I should be winning the old fashioned hairdryer treatment works a treat most of the time for me (don't use it too often though - just when I think it'll get a response). If I'm winning at half time I'm less likely to give a team talk and I've learnt definitely not to use "Pleased" if I actually want to be competitive in the second half. :p Again at the end of the match I'll usually give a talk, and am actually more likely to praise players individually if they've made a good contribution to the game (I've even had positive responses from players in my inbox for singling them out for praise) though I'll stay quiet especially if I have a good first half, bad second and still win. Depends on circumstance. :p

Anyone ever won a game they were losing at half time and had a player praise their half time team talk as being the main reason for the win? This feels a bit gamey. Feels like any tactical changes or subs you made in the second half were cosmetic as the game had already decided that you win the match because of your team talk - not complaining, just seems over powered....

Totally disagree. I have found the team talks very useful. Conversely, Never have i liked the media sessions - they are useless.

Its all about morale. If i have a player with very poor morale, a positive pre match talk may lift it to poor for the start. a a good game and "senastaional" at the close may list it further.

Both the team talks and the press conferences can have a positive effect if you use them correctly. I often have players morale going up (and occasionally down) due to press conferences.

Archived