In FM do players change positions as they age?

I was thinking of players like Lothar Matthaus who went from an attacking centre mid to a centre back/sweeper, or Pirlo from attacking mid to deep lying playmaker, Maldini left back to centre back, Gullit attack to defense etc etc

Does the computer retrain players into new positions like a human manager might, or can a player change positions as he ages of his own choice, maybe like Totti going from trequartista to centre forward?

If it's not in the game it would be a nice addition I think, adding more realism to the game.

Well, quite a number of players do have the ability to play in different positions, even if you don't appear to at first glance. Take a look at Steven Gerrard, for example.

A shrewd human player could, for example, take the initiative and begin to move, say, Gerrard, from a lung-busting Attacking Midfield or Center Midfield role to a deep-lying playmaker role as he ages, similar to what United have done with Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.

I've almost never seen the AI do anything quite like that, however, barring the odd save where Sir Alex buys Pato and retrains Rooney as a left-winger, but even that's more of a tactical development than anything to do with the player aging.

It would be a nice touch, perhaps, if you could ask the player to play/learn to play in another position, though I guess that's also covered in Training.

Archived