Concentration, important for goalies?

Thinking of signing this GK on free transfer, but his concentration stat is VERY low. I've often been told that concentration is a key skill especially for defenders, so it seems reasonable that it should be for GKs too. Or am I way out here?

15nm2c9.jpg

Although I don't know the general consensus on concentration, I believe that it is a very important stat, especially the higher the competition you play in. Paul Robinson once gave a talk on goalkeeping and said that concentration was a vital component for success. This was more to do with international football, because you can go for long periods of time without being called into action and then all of a sudden the opposition get a break and you need to be switched on so as not to concede.

For me, concentration is up there with the likes of handling, reflexes, communication and agility.

His eccentricity is a little high, is it not? I'd think of Boruc as a bit of a loose cannon, Barthez-esqe almost.

For the record my current goalie is 2,5 stars, while Boruc is 3,5. My Middlesbrough is on its first season in the Premiership, and I'm thinking I need a decent goalie for the next season as it looks like I'm gonna be staying. Do you think Boruc would be cut out for the Premiership for a longer period of time?

I think he looks pretty good, although I would worry about using him with a high defensive line or as a sweeper keeper, just because of his low acceleration.

He is going to ship a few goals at the +80 minute point due to the concentration.

Eccentricity 20 is also fun, he is another Bartez (sp?)

• SI Staff

He's eccentric and has the concentration levels of a small kitten .... he'll make life interesting for your team no doubt, I'd expect a David James result - some matches he'll be fantastic ... others you'll wonder if he's actually there or has left a hologram in goal ;)

He's eccentric and has the concentration levels of a small kitten .... he'll make life interesting for your team no doubt, I'd expect a David James result - some matches he'll be fantastic ... others you'll wonder if he's actually there or has left a hologram in goal ;)

Funnily enough my current keeper is David James, but in his early 40s he's starting to dip in stats a bit. :/

True to life though, Boruc's concentration levels are horrendous. He has memorably been caught out in several high profile incidents of players smacking them in when he's not properly paying attention, such as John rankin's 40 yard "squiggler" for the might Hibees!

Archived