Is a Macbook better than a Windows 7 laptop for playing FM?

Hi again everyone. I have previously put up a thread asking whether or not a Macbook Pro is good for playing FM and yesterday while I was literally right about to buy the Macbook Pro, the sales guy recommended me to one of the newest HP models around, and my parents also want me to consider this one, so being a very avid FM fan myself, could you guys please recommend me one of the following 2 laptops (specs below) for playing FM and why. There is no need to consider price as they are only about $10 - $20 USD apart anyways, but I would prefer Apple as tbh I go to a school with quite a lot of rich students, so it would make me fit in more slightly. Thanks a lot.

Specs for Macbook Pro

13.3" LED Widescreen Display, 1280 x 800 Standard Resolution

2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo & 3MB shared L2 cache

4G RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 320M Graphics Card

250G Hard Drive

8x slot loading SuperDrive

Specs for HP Pavilion dv3-4031TX

13.3" LED Screen, 1366 x 768 Resolution

Intel i5-430M (2.26 GHz)

Windows 7 Home Premium

4G RAM

500G Hard Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card

Once again thanks very much to those who are willing to help a 14 year old manager in help.

well as a teacher I prefer the Mac. As an IT guy, Windows is where it is at and the HP Envy is equal to the MBP in terms of build quality. I like the mac though because of it's lower maintainance costs. upgrading the mac though is more expensive.

As another teacher who is running FM on a Windows 7 notebook (Toshiba Satellite), I see nothing wrong with my performance while playing...

BTW, stay away from Macs. They do not have the same level of support from most games built originally for PCs.

Let me ask you this

What are going to do with the laptop? I mean are going to be programming a lot or are you going for design?

If you are pursuing programming it is prefer to use a Windows based laptop.

If you are going for design you prefer to use Macbook Pro.

However, using or Bootcamp or Parallels you can run windows on mac.

So the conclusion is basically what will you use on the new laptop?

Let me ask you this

What are going to do with the laptop? I mean are going to be programming a lot or are you going for design?

If you are pursuing programming it is prefer to use a Windows based laptop.

If you are going for design you prefer to use Macbook Pro.

However, using or Bootcamp or Parallels you can run windows on mac.

So the conclusion is basically what will you use on the new laptop?

I'm not really into both of them; I'm just a student who wants a nice laptop to do his work and to play FM and other games on haha. I do know that the HP Envy is definitely better than the Macbook Pro in terms of performance but I suppose the only thing holding me back from buying the HP Envy is the fact that I go to a private school (international schools they're called over here in Asia) and I'll probably admit that my parents earn quite some money, but I'm in the lower half of my school (financially) and so everyone is pretty materialistic here, so I think buying the Macbook Pro would help me fit in more.

I do know that the HP Envy is a better laptop now and I think I will go and buy it this weekend. However, I've been waiting for like a month since my laptop broke so if they don't have it then I'll just buy the Macbook Pro.

Thanks guys for helping me out.

Both good options... from a neutral perspective i'd say go for the mac because, you seem to want that more as its cooler(in your opinion). I think they'll both do what you want so buy the one which you think will give you the most pride of owning. :thup:

Hi again everyone. I have previously put up a thread asking whether or not a Macbook Pro is good for playing FM and yesterday while I was literally right about to buy the Macbook Pro, the sales guy recommended me to one of the newest HP models around, and my parents also want me to consider this one, so being a very avid FM fan myself, could you guys please recommend me one of the following 2 laptops (specs below) for playing FM and why. There is no need to consider price as they are only about $10 - $20 USD apart anyways, but I would prefer Apple as tbh I go to a school with quite a lot of rich students, so it would make me fit in more slightly. Thanks a lot.

Specs for Macbook Pro

4G RAM

250G Hard Drive

Intel i5-430M (2.26 GHz)

Windows 7 Home Premium

4G RAM

500G Hard Drive

Once again thanks very much to those who are willing to help a 14 year old manager in help.

Am a Hong Kong student myself, and tbh, only a minority of kids brings their laptops to school. Even in the upper years (me- graduating this June), we rarely use computers. I don't see it's necessary for you to buy a laptop just to fit in with your friends :\ especially when you're still 14.

However of the two choices, I'd prefer the MBP since I'm going to get one for university usage and they seem to be more reliable than HP computers.

Am a Hong Kong student myself, and tbh, only a minority of kids brings their laptops to school. Even in the upper years (me- graduating this June), we rarely use computers. I don't see it's necessary for you to buy a laptop just to fit in with your friends :\ especially when you're still 14.

However of the two choices, I'd prefer the MBP since I'm going to get one for university usage and they seem to be more reliable than HP computers.

Which school do you go to?

Specs for Macbook Pro

4G RAM

250G Hard Drive

Intel i5-430M (2.26 GHz)

Windows 7 Home Premium

4G RAM

500G Hard Drive

loooooool :D:D:D:D

I'm just a student who wants a nice laptop to do his work and to play FM and other games on

Windows.

everyone is pretty materialistic here, so I think buying the Macbook Pro would help me fit in more.

Internet forums are usually not the best place to acquire wisdom, but I'll tell you something here that you should always keep close to your heart, no matter where or when in your life: "be the change you want to see in the world."

Conforming to the masses never really helped anyone (at best, it creates the illusion that it did).

Hope this helps.

I ran fm2009 on a iMac with 4gb ram and 2.2 ghz processor last year, and then when I sold that on the laptop I am currently using at the moment (Packard Bell, 4gb Ram, Dual core processor, HD Screen etc) and found that the iMac ran it a lot better, and the 3d match engine looked so much better.

Could be something to do with the 24 inch screen on the iMac though?

Or just my opinion?

Specs for Macbook Pro

4G RAM

250G Hard Drive

Intel i5-430M (2.26 GHz)

Windows 7 Home Premium

4G RAM

500G Hard Drive

QUOTE]

The ram and graphics cards are the main factors in these specs and along with the processors should run most games with no problems. The windows processor is the better one being the new intel i430. Even though the ghz is displayed lower at 2.26, it will be alot faster due to the way it handles the information with the "hyper threading". I would also always suggest a graphics card with "Dedicated" memory like the ATI or NVIDIA. A good processor is important but without a decent graphics card, you wont run 3d games properly. These are both fine.

I have just bought a Sony Vaio with an i330 and FM2010 runs perfect under windows 7. I would always recommend a windows based pc if you are looking for games.

Both will run FM2010 easily but windows will support ALL other games. The Mac will support most games but you may run into trouble with some.

• 3 months later...

I have played football manager 2009 excessively on the old macbook pro, it works well but the laptop gets extremely hot after around 30 minutes of play. After playing football manager for a year the hard drive became corrupted, which could of been caused by heat according to one of my friends who works in an apple shop. This was the old macbook pro, but then again it was also the old fm. Never played fm on windows, but I am going to invest in a imac to play football manager 2011 on this year to save my laptop from further problems.

You will probably get this on a windows laptop as well, laptops are not really designed for excessive game playing, although most cope with it very well it can lead to problems, so my advice to anyone else who plays fm on a laptop is to give your laptop time to cool down if it gets hot, it will save you from £150 worth of repairs that I had to pay!

Just going to say this: be true to yourself, never try to be something just so you fit in. I've made some of the worst mistakes in my life doing that. Just because these kids at your school are materialistic, doesn't mean you have to be. If you stick to what you want deep in your heart, rather than what you believe they want of you, you'll be a much happier person.

If I remember correctly, and I am not sure, but I think SI design FM for mac then port it to Windows. As, opposed to the normal way games companies do it.

Again, I might be wrong, but I remember hearing that fact around these forums!

I don't think they do, but I also could be wrong.

Mac has a better processor, but the HP has more memory. It's a balancing act.

I'd go for the HP, better support, better OS by far, and besides, only snobs and artists use Macs [/irony]

I have that Macbook. FM2010 runs great, although the frame rate will suffer slightly in match mode if you runs lots of other stuff at the same time.

It's the first Mac I've owned after using Windows for 12+ years. I'm never going back to Windows.

Specs for Macbook Pro

4G RAM

250G Hard Drive

Intel i5-430M (2.26 GHz)

Windows 7 Home Premium

4G RAM

500G Hard Drive

Judging by the highlighted part above you have already made up your mind. While I doubt the performance of the two machines will differ greatly, if owning a more 'fashionable' product makes you more accepted in the eyes of your peers, get the Apple.

Archived