small town teams

I started a game with a French third division team called Rodez. We got promoted in our first season and the board immediately started building a new 10 000 seater. Now we are in 2017 and we have two league titles, but we are stuck at 19 294 capacity, because the board don't think we need a bigger one. We fill it up all the time, even for preseason games against big teams. I have looked up the town on Wikipedia and it says that it's a town of about 20 000, so almost the whole city is there at our games :) Anyway, my question is does the size of the city play any kind of role in how big your stadium can get?

Thanks

Not directly. I think it all depends on the hidden value called "Expansion Capacity" which is attached to each stadium. Although, that value may well be based on the population of the town/city in which the stadium is based.

i do believe that the population can affect the attendence, espsecially when its a small town but once you have a great history people from around the country should support the team. eg Man Utd fans in London etc...

nah look at hoffenhein in real life, they have a capacity of like 30000 or sumin, and hoffenheim is a rural village of 6000

people come from all over

Hoffenheim is a one-off vanity project isn't it, by that businessman who named the stadium after himself?

I'd be interested to see their average attendance & ticket prices, especially now the thrill of their brief challenge for the title last season has worn off.

aren't those just 'fair weather supporters' though ??

They've had a big following outside Manchester since pre-Fergie days, to be fair, and between the eras of Busby and Ferguson there's not a lot of fair weather to be seen.

Won't be able to see for sure until some bad times come Utd's way.

people come from all over

To me, this sounds like the most reasonable comment in this thread so... yeah, local population may have some impact, but shouldn't limit how many people gather at the stadium on game days.

Hoffenheim is a one-off vanity project isn't it, by that businessman who named the stadium after himself?

I'd be interested to see their average attendance & ticket prices, especially now the thrill of their brief challenge for the title last season has worn off.

Dietmar Hopp.

He played for them as a teenager, and once he became a billionaire he decided to make them a Bundesliga side effectively.

Archived