[FMH iPhone] Captaincy?

I understand from looking around the forums (and exploring the game!) that it's not possible to select a club or even team (i.e. match-by-match) captain. Fair enough, if a bit of a shame as I always liked imagining (even if it wasn't actually true!) that a captain with high influence playing well would have an effect on the team's performance in classic FM/CM games.

But what's weird is that on occasion (I think I've seen it happen two or three times so far), certain players get injured or sent off, and when I make the appropriate substitutions, the game tells me that "You have not selected a captain. [Random player] has been selected as captain." So in other words, the game makes it look like it's chosen a captain at random (without telling me who it is), and is then choosing ANOTHER player at random! Seems slightly annoying as I'd rather there not be one at all than not have control over who it is.

So, is this simply a bug? Is it a leftover message from a feature that didn't make it into the game? Or is the game picking a captain automatically (and if so, is it random, or does it just choose the player with the highest Influence rating)?

Archived