In game title 'The world's most expensive player'

The game doesnt recognise, i think, when a player becomes the most expensive in the world, which is a big shame imo.

It could be a great boost to a clubs marketing, reputation or a massive millstone for the player, club and manager if the player doesn't live up to expectations (anyone remember Gianluigi Lentini?). It could and should be the sort of thing that stays with a player and manager for their whole careers and would be a good addition to the game I reckon.

The be fair tho, when a player goes for the sort of money you are talking about (Ronaldo for example), its invariably the chairman or owner who buys them. A sort of status symbol if you will. I think managers on the wholeN aren't keen to spend 80mil of someone else money for the very reason that it may back fire horrendously!

agree with heddlo2009...

when you see huge money transfers these days its usually the chairman and mostly in spain the president of the club who buys the players as a statment...

take ronaldo and kaka....both bought by florentino perez as a statment of power....as was figo, zidan, beckham and robinho before them

also when robinho was signed by man city it was the chairman who brought him in...mark hughes who was manager at the time didnt want robinhop there as he didnt fit in his plans...

managers tend to not pay high amounts for players as it will come back on them in the end

the only manager who seems to take the chance is alex ferguson...hes paid 28 mil for veron and 32 mill for berbatov...both who i personally think have been major flops for united

Veron is a classy player tho but he was one who needed time and space to pick a perfect pass. Something you get neither of in the prem. He was awesome in italy. Berbatov at Tottenham was a big fish in a small pond, now he's at united its the complete opposite. Fergie can get away with it tho, purely down to the success he's had and the fact he's very rarely wrong when it comes to buying or selling. Similar to Wenger.

I've never seen a club buy a player over my head in FM in all the years I've been playing tho, which thinking about it, would be a decent little touch but a very annoying one.

Veron is a classy player tho but he was one who needed time and space to pick a perfect pass. Something you get neither of in the prem. He was awesome in italy. Berbatov at Tottenham was a big fish in a small pond, now he's at united its the complete opposite. Fergie can get away with it tho, purely down to the success he's had and the fact he's very rarely wrong when it comes to buying or selling. Similar to Wenger.

fergie very rarey wrong.... sorry but as a united fan i disagree with you on that one!! yeah i agree he does some very shrewd business when buying some players.... but just to name a few bad signing

* Massimo Taibi (ya all remember him, le tissier does ;)

* Eric Djemba Djemba

*Juan Seba Veron (imo he was a flop for £28.1 mill)

*David Bellion (from sunderland was suppose to be the next big thing...)

*William Prunier (many of you wont remember him aas he only played 2 games!!)

*Liam Miller (once again he was suppose to be the next keano... only thing they had in common was celtic)

*Kleberson

*Diego Forlan (altho he scored 2 against liverpool to win a match thats about all he did)

fergie very rarey wrong.... sorry but as a united fan i disagree with you on that one!! yeah i agree he does some very shrewd business when buying some players.... but just to name a few bad signing

* Massimo Taibi (ya all remember him, le tissier does ;)

* Eric Djemba Djemba

*Juan Seba Veron (imo he was a flop for £28.1 mill)

*David Bellion (from sunderland was suppose to be the next big thing...)

*William Prunier (many of you wont remember him aas he only played 2 games!!)

*Liam Miller (once again he was suppose to be the next keano... only thing they had in common was celtic)

*Kleberson

*Diego Forlan (altho he scored 2 against liverpool to win a match thats about all he did)

Pretty much all your other names come from one summer of transfers (2003 -Bellion, Djemba x2, Kleberson). One bad summer between now and 1986 isn't such a bad record. They got panicked by the Abramovich takeover in 2003, which sent transfer fees soaring, and tried to find some discount buys at short notice.

At least they were all pretty cheap, though Kleberson cost about 8m. Bellion was a gamble on youth - everybody takes them. If you consider that Wenger has been buying young players almost exclusively the last half-decade, parading them in league cup games against premiership oppo, he doesn't have many reliable, regular players in his squad from 5 years ago. Even the best can't always be right with young players.

Liam Miller was free - no harm, no foul.

I wikipedia'd Prunier, and he seems to be an emergency signing, so not sure he really counts.

Diego Forlan wasn't actually that bad for utd. It's just that he took so long to score his first goal that everyone wrote him off - he was pretty decent after that.

Taibi was an out-and-out, unjustifiable disaster (you'd think that as soon as they saw the guy train they'd realise he couldn't catch), but Fergie's had a lot more good than bad in the market since 1986.

im a Leeds fan so i really hate saying this but i think Fergie gets it right the majority of the time. you cant expect any manager (even fergie) to get it right every time.

haha fergie is one of the best their is in the transfer market!!

Cristiano ronaldo, eric cantona, peter schmeichal (sp), jaap stam, rio ferdinand, nemanja vidic (s),Patrice evra, ruud van nistelrooy, wayne rooney, edwin van der sar to name a few :)

bad at transfers? fergie... hmm... names u didnt mentioned, how about a little known player from norway called ole gunnar solskjaer?? around a million? roy keane? around a million... van der sar like u said on a free...

fletcher he had to haggle away from newcastle was essentially a young signing... now look where he is...

how anyone can question sir alex ferguson on transfers is beyond me, along with allardyce, wenger an redknapp they are best 3/4 in the premier league today and prob in the history. 8/9 mistakes in 25 years when theres prob in fm terms a lot of people that bring in 20 odd players that 15 of which turn out to be sh**... 'shrugs'

remember its only a game and you dont actually know the real thing... they spend the real money not you lol :)

bad at transfers? fergie... hmm... names u didnt mentioned, how about a little known player from norway called ole gunnar solskjaer?? around a million? roy keane? around a million... van der sar like u said on a free...

fletcher he had to haggle away from newcastle was essentially a young signing... now look where he is...

how anyone can question sir alex ferguson on transfers is beyond me, along with allardyce, wenger an redknapp they are best 3/4 in the premier league today and prob in the history. 8/9 mistakes in 25 years when theres prob in fm terms a lot of people that bring in 20 odd players that 15 of which turn out to be sh**... 'shrugs'

remember its only a game and you dont actually know the real thing... they spend the real money not you lol :)

I don't think anyone was questioning his ability in the transfer market. They were acknowledging that he has made mistakes, but so has any other manager.

roy keane was signed for £3.5m which at the time was an english record for a young player...van der sar was signed for an undisclosed fee but they recond it was roughly £2m and ole was signed for £1.5m

and william prunier was on trial at united so you cant call him a good/bad signing as he didnt stay.

I think it's all gone on a wee bit of a tangent here, surely? I agree with the original poster, the game would benefit, albeit cosmetically, from a piece of code that announces in the news item when a player has become the most expensive in the world

I think it's all gone on a wee bit of a tangent here, surely? I agree with the original poster, the game would benefit, albeit cosmetically, from a piece of code that announces in the news item when a player has become the most expensive in the world

exactly my thoughts! This is supposed to be about breaking transfer records!!! It would be a good addition!

Archived