What type of lone striker in 4-3-3?

What type of player should one look for in a lone striker in a 4-3-3 ? From reading some tactical threads and looking the way barca play it's a complete forward type of player with support duty. Would a poacher type of player with attack duty work? I'm worried about too much isolation on top with lone striker on attack duty but i also know that complete forward type of players are a bit hard to find.

There are a couple of different ways you can play it.

You can have someone like a poacher or advanced forward up front with 'move into channels' ticked so that he opens up space for, assuming you're playing with inside forwards, wingers to move into.

You can also have a player that drops deeper to support the runs of your wingers.

Personally, I would say that you should try both and see which set up you have more success with.

Personally, I would say that you should try both and see which set up you have more success with.

I would say understand both, keep both in your locker, and use either on the right opponent.

Studying the opponent and applying tactics to defeat the specific opponent cannot be underestimated, and is quickly becoming the whole point of tactics in FM.

So "what type of striker?" is a question that can only be answered once you ask "what is the opponent good/weak at?"

I play 4-5-1 with lone striker and I choose his role according to his individual stats rather than team tactics.

My main striker in first season was Marko Pantelic and he was perfect in complete forward attack role.

Then his physical stats started to decline and he lacks now pace and acceleration, but he still works as deep-lying forward.

Somehow I think that if player plays in role what is most suitable for him his anyway more benefitial to the team than when playing in less effective role. Lone striker is a rather individual position anyway.

I aggree with the comments made above. I also play with a lone striker. I have 2 main strikers in my roster, one of them is more suited as a complete forward, and the other one has suitable attributes to play as a poacher. So, what role I give to a specific striker depends on his attributes. But then depending on the opponent, I chose to play either with a poacher or a complete forward, which determines which one of my strikers will get to play.

This is from 09, so i dont know the new terminology entirely.

I play walcott up front on his lonesome with everton, set as target man with run onto ball set, some may call it route one football. I call it wallball, okay no i dont but you know what im getting at.

He got 22 from 40 last (first) season. Hopefully similar again. My other option is cardozo upfront, hold up ball, through balls often. Both are set to very attacking with little closing down.

I play a 4-2-3-1 with blackburn and I have 3 types of players that I play in the loan striker position depending upon certain circumstances.

a. Target man with an attack duty. (Jason Roberts)

b. Complete Striker (Nikola Kalinić)

c. Poacher (Roy Makaay)

I much prefer a player with a player with a high workrate and high strength as the lone striker, high determination is also a bonus in this position. Even if they lack in the skill and technical ability i.e Roberts and Kalinić so long as they have a creative playmaker in behind them pulling the strings creating opportunities they will score goals. Roberts scored 26 goals, Kalinić 15+.

Secondly, when the game is tight or I need a goal in say the last 10 to 15 mins I bring on a Poacher. Roy Makaay bagged 12 goals in the season coming on from the bench in the dying the mins - pure match winner on many occasions.

I looked at how Alex Ferguson uses his strikers, Rooney strength, high work rate. Owen - poacher, finishing, off the ball movement last ten. Also looked at Dirk Kuyt, high work rate, strength, high determination, chasing lost causes, defending from the front.

Hope that helps.

I always use a complete striker with attacking mentality and they normally get over 25+ goals a season most was 48. It all depends on your other players, having an inside forward and advanced play maker will help give them some support.

I tend to use a deep lying forward on support. Any time I use something like Adv Forward or Poacher he is really inconsistent, but with the DLF(S) tends to be in the game more

Actually i would recommend using a deep lying forward (support) too if you use inside forwards (attack). If you are using wingers you can use any role for you attacker but he has to be good in the air

Archived