Target man, Playmaker and Free Role

Hi again icon_smile.gif

I need some useful insight about these predicades: Target man, Playmaker and Free Role.

I read 2/3 threads about it but some doubts appear to my mind. Maybe you help on this one, please icon_wink.gif

1 - Target man

On team instructions you can choose to use target man but ahve the option too for target man supply. For my thinking, you can use target man if you want your wingers to cross to a specific player and leave that box disabled.

So, my question is: when you must use target man with box inactive? What differences for using target man with box enabled? Because i want to have a forward reference but don´t want my defenders constantly making long passes to him.

2 - Playmaker and Free Role

Identical as said for target man, you have team instruction to decide using playmaker and still box to be disabled/enabled. I know this can be suited for AM C or DM C with good passing skills but how about Free Role? As i read somewhere, the player is given license to roam across the pitch.

So, i´ll ask for your knowledge and experience because we can have multiple aspects here:

a) use playmaker, box disabled, free role on

b) use playmaker, box disabled, free role off

c) use playmaker, box enabled, free role on

d) use plaumaker, box enabled, free role off

Can you tell mais differences between these concepts? Maybe i´m not understanding all because english is not my main language. Finally, if possible, can someone know which type of player (attributes required) suit better each option? I was thinking about Diego, from Werder Bremen...

Thanks in advance, i believe this can be useful for others forumers icon_biggrin.gif

I'll try the playmaker question:

By ticking the playmaker box you ask your team to look for the player selected in the building phase of attack if possible. Off-the-ball, decisions, passing and creativity should be very high attributes for the playmaker.

By ticking the free role box you tell your player to decide for himself where in the pitch he is going to play. He will be roaming the field at his will, so high decision stats are a must.

So,

a) use playmaker, box disabled, free role on

The player will decide where to play, but he will not be the main point of reference for your team.

b) use playmaker, box disabled, free role off

You don't have a playmaker. The player will follow mainly your instructions (unless you give him high Creative Freedom).

c) use playmaker, box enabled, free role on

This player will decide where to place himself and will be the point of reference for your team. So he'd better be an outstanding player, because you are placing in his shoulders the destiny of your team.

d) use playmaker, box enabled, free role off

Teammates will try to pass him as much as possible. This player will mainly stick to his assigned position and instructions.

I hope that clarifies your question. I prefer somebody more knowledgeable answer the target man part, because for FM2006 I read a theory stating that even if you didn't check the target man box, the way forwards will be fee depended on your choice in team instructions. But I'm not sure if that really happens.

i had this theory in 06 that if you played a free role the player needed good positioning first or he would be in a poor position to receive the ball, which was why DMCs seemed to be better playmakers then the AMCs as they usually had better positonal skills. did anyone else think this as has it carried over to 07?

#1 is a very good question and one I've never really figured out either. I have the same stance as you Myst in that I use it to tell my wingers who to aim for with crosses. I rarely tick "use Target Man" as like you I believe that would lead to my play being very one-dimensional.

However, since playing my lower league Exeter game, I've picked up Wayne Allison who's the ideal Conference-level target man. So, I checked the "use" box. I've found that while my play isn't solely one-dimensional; my keeper aims for Allison with goal kicks, and he's generally involved in play a lot more.

My opinion is that if your target man is your primary weapon, then you should look to use him by enabling the "use Target Man" option. If you simply have one striker who's better in the air than his partner, then set him as target man, but without the box ticked (and set "cross ball" to "target man"). I think this also applies if your star man is a playmaker- you check the box to make sure play revolves around him. In short I think you're right, but if you have one player that stands out, then play to his strengths by ticking the appropriate box- particularly in the lower leagues where diversity of play is an uneecessary luxury.

Selecting the target man options on the team instructions page, means the team as a whole will be looking to play the ball to him at all times. So he basically dictates the play.

Where as the individual one, means he play as a target man only when balls are played to him. Meaning your team still play a normal game but he only takes the aspects of a target man when hes recieveing the ball/got possession.

So like Asmo said, it makes you very one dimensional at times if you use the team targetman option.

I've made a brilliant 442 tactic to play at home, which works well with a target man. My team play some very good football, but when there isn't much on offer, a long ball onto the head of my front striker is normally won by him. I then have 2 pacey wingers and a fellow front man who is very pacey feeding on his knock downs/flcik ons.

Once he has done the knock down/flick on, he then joins the attack and finishes the job off.

Again I am a lower division club (MK Dons). Not sure how well it works in the better divisions.

Unfortunately I'm struggling to get my away tactic right icon_frown.gif

Also with my home tactic, I have the pacey wingers as my playmakers. Can't say Ive been successful with playmakers before.

good discussion!

Fun nick,I actually have the opposite issue, my away tactis is successful using the target man, my home tactic is terrible in that I score VERY sparsely.

On away, I like to click the counter button, keep offsides off, play a medium defensive line (like 10), and have my wingers with no barrows or farrows (442). I keep the target man a little bit lower in mentality than a fast winger, and set play to "up the sides". It seems I get some nice quick counters to the wingers and fast forward ending with a cross to the target man.

Of course, this is in Serie C1, so its hard to tell if it'll work higher up. Unfortunately, I have a hell of a time keeping possession and scoring using my home tactic. Its also too quick, and passing is abysmmal at this level (I assume its because of the level of my players).

I've found that using a playmaker system will basically limit your attacking options. However, its advantage is that your play and possession will tend to be more structured with the playmaker dictating the tempo (typically getting into triple figures in terms of passes). It's most effective if you have one or two players positioned fairly close to the playmaker to make the tackles, play the one-twos off and make sure that he's not outnumbered.

Perhaps Mido at Spurs is a good example of a Target Man. A tall player, and a central point for most of spurs attacks. More often than not the ball is played quite direct towards Mido who will

a)play the flick on with his head towards Defoe/Keane who are already running on in anticipation of this

b)will use his strength to hold onto the ball giving team mates time to join the attack and thus creating further attacking options.

The way you use the taget man will, I assume depend on the target mans instructions (and the instructions on how the ball is played to the man).

Originally posted by evoh_1:

i had this theory in 06 that if you played a free role the player needed good positioning first or he would be in a poor position to receive the ball, which was why DMCs seemed to be better playmakers then the AMCs as they usually had better positonal skills. did anyone else think this as has it carried over to 07?

Positioning only matters when the opponents have the ball. When you have possesion its off the ball that counts. And off the ball is a domain of AMCs.

Originally posted by James Hetfield II:

Perhaps Mido at Spurs is a good example of a Target Man. A tall player, and a central point for most of spurs attacks. More often than not the ball is played quite direct towards Mido who will

a)play the flick on with his head towards Defoe/Keane who are already running on in anticipation of this

b)will use his strength to hold onto the ball giving team mates time to join the attack and thus creating further attacking options.

The way you use the taget man will, I assume depend on the target mans instructions (and the instructions on how the ball is played to the man).

But if you have two potential target men (eg one big strong bloke and one lightning pacey striker), how would you best set them up to work together using the target man option?

If as theory says that a playmaker is a focal point of building attacks. Would it be tactically feasable to use a wide player as a playmaker. Example - Steven Gerrard, a player with excellent passing, crossing and creative stats. Or even as a target man with target man supply "into feet"? Or would this stifle his role in any given system?

I try to answering 2 question of yours..

first...targetman,if u dunwan ur defender is crossing ball to him,set ur defender passing style as short or direct..goalkeeper,distribution to someome else..this should be helpful..for best TM..drogba..MONSTER..hehe.

Playmaker,most passes in game,but free role,play wit his own style,but not as playermaker as a connection..my best..VaDerVaart...hehe

As i have two pacy strikers and decent wingers and a solid midfield i set both strikers as target men and select the option of running onto the ball. It seems to work effectively against those lumbering centre backs i just wondered if anyone else had tried this kind of set up to any degree of success? icon_confused.gif

i prob use target man and playmaker in a diff way than most. i play 4-3-3, 3 mc's and 3 sc, now i like a playmaker in every position , example, i have one sc set as playmaker, in mc i will have my main playmaker (no 1 on the playmaker list)and a defender that plays the ball the best set as a playmaker.so on my playmaker list is set to mc fc then any defender who can pass the ball.

target man is set to the same but different players. example,sc will be set as the main target man, then a mc then a defender, but they are not the same players who are picked as playmakers.

i have only tried this because i set my front 3sc as target men and noticed they shared the workload.

now i find playing with short or long passing the player with the ball will look for playmaker/target man closest to him before he just lumps the ball away. one example is my dr has the ball and is set to playmaker 1 dc is set to target man (3rd on the list) if he is marked he looks to the midfield where he has a playmaker and a target man to look for if that fails he looks to the forward line to find another target man and play maker.

hope this makes sence

cheers

i noticed this irl aswell watching man utd

saha = attacking target man

rooney = attacking playmaker

carrick = midfield target man (he gets passes when other players seam to be in trouble or have no out ball)

scholes = no1 playmaker

rio = dc playmaker

• 4 weeks later...

U need the target man boxed checked to utilise one. Otherwise I can only assume all crosses will be "mixed", excluding target man, as there isnt one for the crosser to seek for.

Regarding playmakers, it's very important that the playmaker is free in space during the build up play.

I play mine so he doesnt run into the box and lurks outside opponents box with a low mentality of 4 and creatvie freedom around 8.

The result is very effective as most opposition dont pick him up when 4 others surround and go into the box. whenever anyone gets in trouble it's played back to the playmaker.

Another very effective strat (though doesnt always work), is to have 1 MC 1 DMC with mirroring mentality, both marked as playmaker. Example:

MC Mentality 4, freedom 8 (rare run)

DMC Mentality 16, freedom 12-14 (often run)

With the MC having a backarrow into the DMC position. What happens is they will do some seriously slick 1-2 passes to each other whenever possible. This can limit ur chances especially against a strong midfield, so it's more risky, and best to use against weaker opposition. The results are very sexy looking though icon_smile.gif I have De Rossi and Riquelme in those 2 positions btw.

@nic9394: I'm not sure I agree. I have my fullbacks and wide midfielders all set to cross to target man without the targetman box ticked 'on'in the team instruction menu. I play with three different types strikers at the head of a 4-4-1-1 formation: one suited to be played to head, the other to feet, and the third a pacey sort who we try to allow to run onto the ball. Depending on which of the approaches are used, the results are dramatically different (and provide an effective and simple way to change the game if things aren't going our way). For example, if we have our lumbering battering ram up top with 'target man supply' set 'to head', that forward will average about 20 headers at the end of 90 minutes, while rarely being credited with any successful runs in the final game statistics. At the other end of the spectrum, when we play for our pacey forward to run onto, he averages no more than 5 headers at the end of the game, and with about 3-5 successful runs.

Originally posted by Michael Wingo:

@nic9394: I'm not sure I agree. I have my fullbacks and wide midfielders all set to cross to target man without the targetman box ticked 'on'in the team instruction menu. I play with three different types strikers at the head of a 4-4-1-1 formation: one suited to be played to head, the other to feet, and the third a pacey sort who we try to allow to run onto the ball. Depending on which of the approaches are used, the results are dramatically different (and provide an effective and simple way to change the game if things aren't going our way). For example, if we have our lumbering battering ram up top with 'target man supply' set 'to head', that forward will average about 20 headers at the end of 90 minutes, while rarely being credited with any successful runs in the final game statistics. At the other end of the spectrum, when we play for our pacey forward to run onto, he averages no more than 5 headers at the end of the game, and with about 3-5 successful runs.

The targetman instructions only work if you have the targetman box ticked. If not the game doesn't know you use one. Even though you can set a targetman up without ticking the box. But it needs to be ticked it you use the cross to targetman etc

Originally posted by Cleon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Wingo:

The targetman instructions only work if you have the targetman box ticked. If not the game doesn't know you use one. Even though you can set a targetman up without ticking the box. But it needs to be ticked it you use the cross to targetman etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find that even if you have the box unticked but have default target men and preferred suppliy that this does affect the tactics. Of course ticking the box will put an emphasis on this, having other related criteria affects the game imho.

Originally posted by RealMeanDigsy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cleon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Wingo:

The targetman instructions only work if you have the targetman box ticked. If not the game doesn't know you use one. Even though you can set a targetman up without ticking the box. But it needs to be ticked it you use the cross to targetman etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find that even if you have the box unticked but have default target men and preferred suppliy that this does affect the tactics. Of course ticking the box will put an emphasis on this, having other related criteria affects the game imho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But to use the pass to targetman options in the individual players isntructions, you need the targetman box ticked. Or its ineffective with regards to the passing to targetman. As its linked and the only way the game reconises it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RealMeanDigsy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cleon:

I find that even if you have the box unticked but have default target men and preferred suppliy that this does affect the tactics. Of course ticking the box will put an emphasis on this, having other related criteria affects the game imho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But to use the pass to targetman options in the individual players isntructions, you need the targetman box ticked. Or its ineffective with regards to the passing to targetman. As its linked and the only way the game reconises it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just commenting on an observation I made.

Using my Digsy's 442 tactic I was going well but had a sticky end to a season (I'm not going to post proof) results were annoying. I had two target men selected, supply mixed but the box was not ticked. I removed one of the target men and results improved immediately - coincidence? I think not.

jus tested target man more extensively and watched full matches.

I can say for certain that if u do not have Target Man box checked, yet u still pick a target man, (and set it to run onto ball for example) there is a noticable increase of crosses that are given to the target man as a run on ball. I've checked "to head" also, same thing.

I'm confused now icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by pele10:

i prob use target man and playmaker in a diff way than most. i play 4-3-3, 3 mc's and 3 sc, now i like a playmaker in every position , example, i have one sc set as playmaker, in mc i will have my main playmaker (no 1 on the playmaker list)and a defender that plays the ball the best set as a playmaker.so on my playmaker list is set to mc fc then any defender who can pass the ball.

target man is set to the same but different players. example,sc will be set as the main target man, then a mc then a defender, but they are not the same players who are picked as playmakers.

i have only tried this because i set my front 3sc as target men and noticed they shared the workload.

now i find playing with short or long passing the player with the ball will look for playmaker/target man closest to him before he just lumps the ball away. one example is my dr has the ball and is set to playmaker 1 dc is set to target man (3rd on the list) if he is marked he looks to the midfield where he has a playmaker and a target man to look for if that fails he looks to the forward line to find another target man and play maker.

hope this makes sence

cheers

This certainly does make sense! I've never thought of doing this but i may give it a go as it sounds an interesting theory.

This is a really good thread... made a great read and has got me thinking!

thx guys

Nic: That's how I play, and my observations agree with yours. I avoid ticking the Target Man box as it seems to make our play too predicable or one-dimensional, with all players under all circumstances considering only that one option; whereas I prefer have the target supplied by only my wide players who presumably have more time (and incur less risk than central players) when trying to play the target. Considering Cleon's clarification, I guess I'm now as confused as you are whether this is really 'working'!

Originally posted by nic9394:

I can say for certain that if u do not have Target Man box checked, yet u still pick a target man, (and set it to run onto ball for example) there is a noticable increase of crosses that are given to the target man as a run on ball. I've checked "to head" also, same thing.

I've never noticed a a dfference when ive tested it. The only time I get more balls to the targetman is if i select pass to targetman and have it ticked. icon_frown.gif

playing with an exceptionally pacey forward i found that ticking the target man box and setting the service to him as 'run onto ball' (or whatever it is) works a treat in conjunction with counter attacking as a team instruction. This has resulted in my full backs (who require gd passing stats) to play long through balls for him to run onto when they find themselves in space. works particualrely well if you're under the cosh as it suits a team that is sitting deep with teh opposition defence pushing up.

Originally posted by nic9394:

Dont be, you're not blind icon_wink.gif

I found the same thing. If you put a player in your target man list, he will be your target man. If you choose to play the ball to him a certain way, thats what the team will do. If you tick the use target man box, the team will look to play the ball to him often.

If you use neither option, Im not sure putting a player in your target man list makes any difference..

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Benoit2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nic9394:

Dont be, you're not blind icon_wink.gif

I found the same thing. If you put a player in your target man list, he will be your target man. If you choose to play the ball to him a certain way, thats what the team will do. If you tick the use target man box, the team will look to play the ball to him often.

If you use neither option, Im not sure putting a player in your target man list makes any difference.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did we ever get an official answer on the targetman and playmaker list only effecting (affecting? I can neve remember which to use) the game if the "use target man" or "use playmaker box" is ticked?

Reason I ask is that I have the list populated all the time and only tick it when I need to, as i have always played like that I am wondering if I should really delete them off the list if I choose not to tick the box.

Might explain why my team plays different when I rest my AMC who is on the playmaker list, but I only rarely tick the box. I just thought it was the replacements stats, but it could be the fact that the replacement is not on the list.

Hope this makes sence.

Has been tinkering with this in my liverpool team, have found two possible ways of doing it

442 with alonso set on mixed passing defensive mentaility with a back arrow and closing down with long shots,works well he pings it round the place, if youu do this i have gerrad as mentality attacking forward runs otfen passing mixed run with ball often and long shots and free role set up he gets forward and scores from close and long range

However the other option is to put both playmaker and free role on gerrard and leave alonso to mixed passing and defensive mentality with back arrow.

The team is set to short passing with the goal keeper giving the ball to defender, if you have alonso as playmaker it works well keeper to dender to alonso who finds everyone with his mix of passing

can anyone tell me what is supposed to happen when u put more than one player on your playmaker list?

At the moment im playin g4-2-3-1 and the attacking 6 are all in my list of playmakers (the option is ticked of course). Its devestatingly effective and all 6 seem to share the passes and almost do play like 6 playmakers.

Im a bit puzzled as to how it works and what happends for example when i rotate one of the players, do i need to add his name to the playmaker list of does he take over by default as he is in the position of another (as with say set piece instructions).

My question. I'm new to the game, having never played a previous edition. I've had my game for a few weeks only, and I haven't done much with tactics. The little helper window that comes up when advancing days says that the target man tries to distribute the ball to his teammates. Am I misreading something? Shouldn't the target man be receiving the ball from his teammates? Do I misunderstand the term "target man"?

Yes i think you are miunderstanding the term of target man. The target man is the player that the rest of the team will search for with the long balls they play up the field. The target man is the one that should be the target of the ball played from the midfield or defensive line, then he should hold up the ball so the rest of the team can get forward up the pitch and distribute it further.

The target man is usually a strong, big player that can hold on to the ball until the rest of the team gets into attacking position, or he will try to set the other attacker free by flick the ball on. Think of players like Koller and Heskey when you think of a target player type. If you watched Liverpool play when they had Heskey and Owen as forwards you understand what i mean. Perhaps the best partnership of a targetman and a small fast forward. All the long balls played up the field or the goalkicks had Heskey as destination, he then tried to flick it on the other fast forward (Owen) or tried to hold up the ball up until the rest of the team could get up the pitch.

Hope that this helped for you.

This is what i belive and has experienced during testing. Not all will agree with this but it is how i have experienced the difference with having the box ticked and not. If you have target man box ticked you must have a player in the target man list. This player will then be the target man for the team, when the team sends the ball upfield they will aim for this player with the ball. Its can be compared with having a playmaker and the box for playmaker ticked, when using a playmaker the team will search for and try to find this player with their passes and let him dictate the play. So when having target man ticked, the balls that is played upfield will aim for the player in the list.

You can also give instructions to the team how you like the balls to him to be played, to the head, onto the feet or run onto the ball. This settings should be set to match the profile of yout target man. If he is a good header, play them onto the head. If he is a fast player that likes the ball to be played infront of him then use run onto ball, and if he is strong and good att holding the ball and cover it from the defender then play them onto his feet. Well this i guess all agree to.

What i dont think all agree to is the following

I belive that you can also have some use of putting a player into the targetman list and not having the use target man box ticked. You can put your wingers to aim for target man with the crosses and they will aim for the person in the list when they cross.

i think having multiple playmakers does really work ... the listed playmakers are the players who have the most possession and the team doesnt go 'auto' i.e. hit aimless long balls in front... they seem to tend to look for your playmakerS more often. This seems to happen even if you have the Use Playmaker box UNticked. IMO it's something useful, since it sort of guarantees that your possession and its use is controlled by your more creativity- and pass-savvy midfielders (referring to them because they are usually the playmakers).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice thread here guys.

I agree with most of what is being said here and it's definitely 'confirmed' what I thought about certain instructions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RealMeanDigsy:

But to use the pass to targetman options in the individual players isntructions, you need the targetman box ticked. Or its ineffective with regards to the passing to targetman. As its linked and the only way the game reconises it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just wanted to state that I'm definitely on the same page as Michael Wingo and Nic about this.

I always watch full matches (Unless it's pre-season friendlies which I'm only doing to get players fit, etc.) and have noticed and always had HOPED that, your players would still cross to the target man specified even if you DONT tick the "Use Target Man" option

Thankfully, it does seem to work this way and thank god for that cuz otherwise, we'd have less alternatives.

Because the problem with ticking that box on team instruction is the same one Michael Wingo mentioned. I find, it makes my team's attacking creativity almost one-dimensional and players look to use that target man VERY frequently.

But that's not what I want. I want him used just as much as other players. (Not more)

Yet because he IS my tall and strong forward and the defender against him ISN'T the greatest in the air, I do expect him to be useful with some aerial battles.

So what do I do? I set him as my target man and if the opposing defender is really weak in the air but fast, I may even set a target man supply to "Use Head" but I do NOT tick the "Use target man option" on team screen.

Yet have my full-backs and wingers cross to "Target Man" and this is the IDEAL way of handling this for my team.

This way, the attack isn't focused on that striker and my attacking play isn't one dimensional but remains very unpredictable. Yet when it is time to cross for one of my side players or team in general, they do look to most often find the 'target man' and make him useful. icon_wink.gif

Interesting thread guys.

I have Target Man ticked and I do not cross to target man, buy he still gets plaenty of header goals, I might try changing that.

However the point I want to make is I use 2 up front, one a dominating aerial player whom is my TM. I have play to head selected for my TM and I have my second striker who is pacey with good ball skills as forward run often, run with ball. Basically what I hoped would happen is that the TM would flick on headers to my streaking other striker and this works to some extent.

My TM occasionally will run with the ball or play it back to his Midfield but he does do what I hoped a large amount of the time, quick header flick ons to his striking partner.

Some think this makes me one dimensional but I disagree. If you have a dominating aerial player use him! My other striker gets plenty of chances and plenty of through balls still but when my team are pressed for time they hit it high to my big man who rarely has a poor game.

He would average anywhere from 20 - 40 headers won a game and one LC match against Colchester had 56 of 57 wins. He regularly gets 8 ratings and is basically tearing up the league. He has as many assists as goals and is the integral focus of my team.

Occasionally I have changed it, like vs Chelski and bloody Terry who is unbeatable in the air, I had to switch things around a bit, but against all the other teams it bread and butter.

Archived