Does anyone bother with Trequartista?

It's not the same as a poacher. Poachers play right up top waiting for opportunities, a trequartista will play deeper (the clue is in the name), roam around and collect the ball from deeper positions.

Don't use either myself, usually go for target man/complete forward combo.

I dont like treq. They dont contribute enough defensively enough for my liking.

I have to say not many forwards do unless they are the "defensive" ones. obviously if your using it in midfield thats completely different.

to the OP the only player I've used in the Trequartista role was Francesco Totti who done fairly well, scored around 20 goals and bagged a fair few assists too despite missing a fair chunk of the season

Just started using a Trequartista in my formation. Works fantastic. I find its good to use if your team have a rigid formation which allows the trequartista to float around the pitch.

I find he contributed very well, as he will drag defenders out of position and look to play fast through balls to strikers. Also helps if you use someone who is good on the ball as they can hold up play while allowing more players to get forward.

Biggest downside though is that they dont contribute to defensive play at all. But if a lose ball gets knocked forward theres a good chance they'll get onto the ball.

I have to say not many forwards do unless they are the "defensive" ones. obviously if your using it in midfield thats completely different.

to the OP the only player I've used in the Trequartista role was Francesco Totti who done fairly well, scored around 20 goals and bagged a fair few assists too despite missing a fair chunk of the season

Interesting stuff.

Am Rangers and playing a diamond 4-4-2. i was thinking of putting young John Fleck in there. but if he becomes injured then i don't believe there are players in my squad who can perform that specific role.

Although it's interesting you say Totti because that role is tailor made for Totti. I'll give it ago and see what happens.

You got any tips on what types of strikers you have upfront ? target men or out and out ?

Yeah but theres a difference between something and nothing, and a treq. offers absolutely nothing.

I deployed Torres as a trequartista when I last managed Liverpool. If I'm being honest I don't fully understand all these player roles but it seemed fitting to have one of the best CF's in the world given a fancy role.

I use 2 trequartistas because the have the same mentality as my wingers.

Since I play balanced, it allows me to be fluid up top while maintaining shape at the back.

I used a trequartista (in ST position) throughout my Charlton Athletic campaign. In my tactic he was partnered with a poacher, which made for a very effective attack. In that type of pairing, the trequartista serves almost as a target man but also a playmaker at the same time. If you have a player with the right attributes in this type of role, he'll be devastating, usually getting as many goals as assists.

I personally never like designing tactics with trequartistas simply because it turns your tactic into one with a focal point of attack which is the rough equivalent of putting a "Kick Me" sign on him. If your trequartista is off-form it can hurt your formation by quite a bit

I don't use trequartistas because I operate in the lower leagues and the players available aren't really good enough for the more sophisticated roles. So I go with an AMC, a deep lying forward and a poacher in my 3-2-3-2.

3-2-3-2? Is that just a fancy way of saying you play with wing-backs? ;)

To the OP, trequartista is VERY different from a poacher. Think back to Dennis Bergkamp/Thierry Henry combo at Arsenal. Bergkamp was a trequartista. He was a creator, even though he was more of a forward than a midfielder. So a trequartista is kind of like a playmaking forward, with a free-role.

i've seen that trequartista, an italian word, is used in all the world...we are the creator of trequartista's role?!?!?!? :D :D :D

For me, trequartista is a player who is "out" from the team: he's the 10+1.

I personally never like designing tactics with trequartistas simply because it turns your tactic into one with a focal point of attack which is the rough equivalent of putting a "Kick Me" sign on him. If your trequartista is off-form it can hurt your formation by quite a bit

There's no truth to this at all. Trequartista does not act as a focal point for your team unless you specify it that way. Your team will not be one dimensional by having a player on this role in your team.

Hm... neverused a treqi as the game says they have to have to have superhuman abilities.

Interesting...

No truth to this either. There's no need for super human abilities as you put it. Just look at the tactics creator where it highlights what attributes a player needs for the trequartista role. Those attributes don't need to be high either, just relative to league level you're playing at. I've used a player that was rated at only 2 stars in EPL as a trequartista. Did the job fine. Of course a bit outclassed, but he had all the necessary attributes for the role, just not quite high enough to get a better star rating. The same player led my team from League 1, to Championship, and to the EPL.

I use a trequartista in a 4-3-3 formation, with the trequartista in the centre of the three strikers. The two players I use for this role are Sebastian Giovinco and Juan Angel Albin; they can operate as both AMC and FC. Albin in particular has been phenomenal for me since I bought him. He just won the Champion's Cup best player award.

My coaches say he's one of my worst players, but he always delivers when it matters.

3-2-3-2? Is that just a fancy way of saying you play with wing-backs? ;)

GK, SW, 2 DCs, WBR, WBL, 2 MCs, AMC, 2 St - very chuffed at the moment 'cos haven't conceded for 8 matches:).

'They shall not pass' :thup:.

I think it is quite a popular role, people like the fancy foreign name ;)

I tend to view the role as an attacking midfielder that doesn't track back. If you look at the instructions the wizard gives that is essentially the difference. A treq will have zero closing down and easy tackling.

If I had a quality AMC with low teamwork/workrate I'd consider giving them the role of trequartista, Likewise if they had low stamina, it would help them see out the 90 minutes more often. With an AMC that will work hard and can play the full 90minutes without a problem then I think setting them up in that role is a bit of a waste and compromises your team defensively.

I used a trequartista striker with Shrewsbury in Leagues 1 and 2 and it linked the play beautifully. It's basically a deep lying forward with more creativity and at that level it can cause some real havoc to defenses - tons of assists and quite a few goals mostly from Davide Somma.

I used trequartista back in 10.1 because it let me use a supporting forward with a mentality that is higher than "deep lying forward-support", yet still lower than my most advanced striker.

However in 10.3 the trequartista's mentality has been changed to become the same as that of a support role, so I don't use it anymore.

Well heres how my Treqy has been playing. i'm in game 6 i think.

Fleck naturally is my chosen man for the job! he's asolutely dire!

At the start of the season he scored in one minute, and made a goal in another game but apart from that, he's been pants. check this out below.

HEARTSVSRANGERS.jpg

I've been using John Fleck as treq on my st-mirren save in europe, it's been really really good, since he joined he's gone from 2.4 million value to £5 million and he's been runnin like 8 or a bit below average ratings, admitedly most of these are from him in ML position not treq and the player is 27 now and developed.

Fleck on my game has 16 long shots and 17 creativity, plus 15 passing, and he scores crackers of goals just when I need them.

I've been using him in an AMC treq position only in some tough games, in a kinda 3-2-2-1-2 setup. (meaning 3 central defenders, two wing backs a bit further forward, two central midfielders, fleck in an AMC treq position, and two strikers up front. It seems to work well for me in europe most of the time, and I've achieved against the odds wins against juventus, man utd, etc, even though I'm St Mirren with a tiny 10,000 stadium.

It's not always set in stone and working though, the formation does suck at times and I'm better off with olde 4-4-2. I personally wouldn't bother with treq unless I'm running it in that formation I said about earlier though, because I feel only then does it really work, and I also think it's mostly for players with crap jumping so they can get room and receive something they can actually keep.

Fleck though, he's probably not really going to be amazing until he develops for you, in 2009 he's probably not nearly at his potential

Just started up a celtic game and im playing Maloney as Treq , was hoping to get Litmanen and Shelvey to get Litmanen to tutor Shelvey but i got neither :L

Only played one game and i won 4-1 with Maloney getting all 4 assists! Keane who is the other striker scored all 4 and playing as a poacher.

This is the first real time ive played a trequersta and quite interested in it so i will try and keep updates :)

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4353972&postcount=20

that is the formation I used, I'll don't have the game anymore but I can post up the roles for you;

Goalkeeper (Defend) - Doni

DR (Full back, Support) - Motta

DL (Full back, Support) - Riise

DC (Defend) - Burdisso

DC (Defend) - Mexes - I have both central defenders set the same

DMC (DM, Support) - Brighi

MLC (Box to Box, Support) - De Rossi

MRC (APM, Attack) - Pizarro

AMR (Winger, Attack) - Menez

FC (Trequartista, Attack) - Totti

FLC (Paocher, Attach) - Vucinic

I had a solid central formation with wingbacks who didn't leave the defence too exposed, Vucinic is quite pacey and finishes chances quite regularly scored goals. I don't think i'd ever use it in a 4-4-2 but it might work for you

Him missing penalties hardly has anything to do with him being a trequartista, does it now?

Yea it does, it perfectly sums up his form thus far:eek:. infact it's kinda poetic. although i will persist with him.

he's probably not really going to be amazing until he develops for you, in 2009 he's probably not nearly at his potential

This is agood point. When i play Fleck at ML he's potant, maybe takes him a season to be lethal at FC. but i'll persist with him! let's see if he grows into the rule. i haven't been harsh with him but he is struggling with the challenge. My main man Naismith is out for 5 months with a hamstring so it's alllll upto John. BTW, good going in getting fleck for the saints nice one:thup:

Just started up a celtic game and im playing Maloney as Treq , was hoping to get Litmanen and Shelvey to get Litmanen to tutor Shelvey but i got neither :L

Only played one game and i won 4-1 with Maloney getting all 4 assists! Keane who is the other striker scored all 4 and playing as a poacher.

This is the first real time ive played a trequersta and quite interested in it so i will try and keep updates :)

I always try and grab Litmanen but Celtic always seem to nab him! I reckon you've made a good choice in making maloney the Treqy! fits him perfectly i reckon! gd luck with it:thup:

How would you play these two strikers I have?

Rooney - Trequartista

Regen - ???

"Regen" is 195cm, is superb with finishing, composure, heading, strength=15...But only 10 in speed... How should I set him up??

GK, SW, 2 DCs, WBR, WBL, 2 MCs, AMC, 2 St - very chuffed at the moment 'cos haven't conceded for 8 matches:).

'They shall not pass' :thup:.

I use that on occasion. I call it a 5-2-1-2 S(weeper)...guess that's just my American showing...I'll pull the wingers back and push the SW up for a more defensive look and call it a Flat 5-2-1-2 , or go ultra-defensive with a Flat 5-4-1 D(iamond)S(weeper).

On topic, like almost everything else in this game, Treq's are great when used right by the right player, terrible if not. As mentioned, the highlighted attributes in the Tactic Roles are fantastic decision aids.

I'll also add that if you want to use a trequartista, aside from having the right attributes, try getting a player with good acceleration and pace. It will make him more effective in that role.

My personal recommendation would be Gaston Fernandez. He is free at the beginning of the game and would be willing to come even to a League One club. Also does not require a work permit as he has an Italian second nationality.

I'll also add that if you want to use a trequartista, aside from having the right attributes, try getting a player with good acceleration and pace. It will make him more effective in that role.

My personal recommendation would be Gaston Fernandez. He is free at the beginning of the game and would be willing to come even to a League One club. Also does not require a work permit as he has an Italian second nationality.

Thanks for the tip, i'll scope him out.

I use Hamsik as my treq and Coutinho and Sneijder as subs and all of them are creative geniuses :D they usually finish 3rd or 4th on the team scoring sheet and first on the assist rankings for the team not to mention have AT LEAST 7.5 rating per match...so I'm fairly fine with the treq role.

Oh and also to compensate for the non defensive part I use De Rossi and Cambiasso as defensive mids, and DCs on limited roles...my tactics work great but took a while to find a custom tactic to work with my coaching style and players

Why good acceleration and pace, seeing as his job is basically to sit in the hole, to wander, and to create? He doesn't make any forward runs so doesn't really need any pace.

Players like Pirlo and Totti aren't exactly famed for their pace and acceleration.

That article from the Italian football website I posted earlier compares the role to the second striker in the following way:

They are slower, but they possess an even superior shot from distance. They are not as gifted in one-on-one scenarios, but they are technically more versatile. Most importantly, a TQ invariably possesses outstanding passing talent and vision.

Those are the basic characteristics that you are looking for. Not speed.

The TQ is a great role for those older, mature players with falling physical stats, but very high technical and mental stats. You see them around the league - here's a good role for them to fill! I think it's a mold of player that doesn't fit the English idea of a football player, but is integral to a lot of continental and even South American clubs.

Archived