Will there be an FM11?

Seeing how the series has currently been going - very successfully but with a lack of change in the core code - I'm wondering if there will be an FM11 this year?

I believe that a lot of the underlying code is quite old and doesn't make it easy to make some revolutionary gameplay changes the game is crying out for - especially around interacting with players, transfer negotiations etc (important areas that haven't changed much in over a decade). It's still all quite regimental and I'm sure it's something SI want to freshen up.

However, will they be able to do this in a years development cycle, given the complexity? Would be great if they could pull it off.

I'm thinking there may just be a data update this year for FM10 rather than a fully fledged FM11 as I'm not sure what else they can squeeze out of the current game at present. The 3D match engine was excellent but now the time has come for some deep changes in the mechanics of other areas for it to feel fresh.

Am I alone in thinking it will take longer than a year to get this right? What do others think?

There will be an FM11, don't you worry about that.

But it's what FM11 looks like. It could just be a data update with a few new features.

At some point SI are going to need to REALLY change some of the key game mechanics to keep it fresh - an example I've used is player interaction, which is key in real life, but needs improvement in FM.

Will they be able to make these changes in a year if it means radically altering some of the core code?

Without wanting to start another wishlist thread what features need updating that would mean a complete recoding?

I'm thinking about the whole player interaction piece, real time negotiation for players etc.

I see this type of thing as a natural progression, just a question of when.

The game is also very modular. There isn't an all encompassing "game engine" which would need to be overhauled.

if a new match engine was needed, it could be made and plugged in. But why make a new one from scratch rather than evolve the current one? If a new look was needed? Skin it in. An interaction system? Take the old one out and plug the new one in it's place. Each module will pass data to each other module, so all you have to do is make sure the right data is moved across. After all, the match engine only needs to know how confident a player is, not how you got him to that point.

Sure, I agree with what you're saying. The match engine is excellent at the moment and will only get better.

But some of the other modules could do with some work and depending on how many are changed it could take time. There will be knock on's to other parts of the code too.

I think the 'polish' in this years game has been very good and a great success. I guess the 'core code' is the selling point of FM and its due to that core code that has made FM what it is today.

I don't think there needs to be an overhaul of the 'core code' (not that I really know what that means or the implications of such a chaange) each year SI make changes to the game and I don't think for example, changing the player interaction or transfers would require a massive effort to change it - all it needs is a few tweaks and add ons to improve the current state (not that I'm saying that is easy I'm sure it is not and very time consuming) - but I guess changing the core code would be more complex but IMO theres no way that SI would look to change the fundamentals of FM and change the core code as it is the selling point and core competencies of the game IMO.

But each year FM/SI has a fair few improvements and becasue FM10 was a year of polish, I dont think I'm sticking my neck on the line in saying that there will be a pretty 'big feature' on FM11 such as training for example - a complete overhaul. FM/SI after a year of polish will look to for a headline grabber - to entice the customer and becasue FM may be in need to introduce a new feature to the game after a year of 'polish'.

And don't forget as soon as FM10 was released, SI did not then think now for FM11 what shall we do? They have the the majority of the ideas for a given a few years in advance FM - and some nearer the time but big changes take a long time - just look at the highlighted threads in GD that SI have marked out and many ideas from them have come into FM in the past few years so I would think the same for FM11. ;)

FM has changed and gone with the times in the past 15 years since I have been buying CM/FM, so I don't think I should be worried about FM11.

But since in recent years the focus has been on the 3-D, lay-out/skin (very much aesthetics) and polish then a big new feature that SI have been worikng on for a while will be implemented in FM11. And becasue of consumer damand and CM then SI will look to differentiate FM11 from FM10 to make it stand out for obvious reasons. Even if SI think FM10 is perfect (I'm sure they dont as good as it is) a big feature will be on FM11 even if SI dont want there to be or not becasue its the way business/retail has to be in order to be competitive and improve and just to look like it has been improved. Thats just my opinion! :eek:

If they were to do an overhaul which took more than a year, they would most likely do that in the background whilst still releasing a version every year. They need to make money!

There will be an FM11, don't you worry about that.
Yes. The Main reason = ££££

I think we all know that there will be a FM11 - but I think the OP was asking whether there will be a change in the 'core code' and if so when - as DP says the fundamentals of the game have been around for a long time - and maybe it has become a bit dated and needs a bit of a overhaul. The OP thinks that maybe the game is a bit robotic in transfer and player interaction - which I agree. And more how easily an these changes be implemented.

I would love to see SI spend a longer time on developing a new game and making some serious improvements. This will be better in the long run but on the other hand I look forward to the new game too much and I don't want to wait that long.

i cant wait for the next fm11 lol in the other thread there have been some great new suggestion on new features the one i like the most chief scout, and next one im do pompey bring them back to premier league!

I would love to see SI spend a longer time on developing a new game and making some serious improvements. This will be better in the long run but on the other hand I look forward to the new game too much and I don't want to wait that long.

There will be in FM11 luton don't worry! :p - dont foregt that behind the scenes I'm sure SI are looking at make the game better and I don't think that not having a FM one year will make any differecne because SI dont just start developing a new game/features when the latest one has been released - it will have been going on for some time!

Given the fact that they provide an editor and its so easy to update the game yourself or download somebody else's update, I can't see SI not releasing an FM for a year to concentrate on making a better game. Even if they released the exact same game in an FM11 box with a new update they will do. As somebody as said, its all about the ££££

The game is also very modular. There isn't an all encompassing "game engine" which would need to be overhauled.

if a new match engine was needed, it could be made and plugged in. But why make a new one from scratch rather than evolve the current one? If a new look was needed? Skin it in. An interaction system? Take the old one out and plug the new one in it's place. Each module will pass data to each other module, so all you have to do is make sure the right data is moved across. After all, the match engine only needs to know how confident a player is, not how you got him to that point.

What about the stats of the players? Are they unimportant now?

I don't think there'll be a Football Manager 11, but probably a Football Manager 2011.

You're an Absolute Genius mate. :D

I'm sure there will be changes for FM11. Even if improvements to player interaction aren't in FM11, it will be in FM12 or FM13. Remember that when we all wanted a 3D match engine SI said before that they were developing it for 3 years.

And of course, it's all about the $$$. SI don't just accept £££ you know. ;)

Archived