Struggle to make a profit?

Do you struggle to make a profit every month/season, even though you stick within your wage budget that you have been set?

I'm having this problem on Fm10, I never had it on 09, can anyone explain why I am making massive losses at the end of every month/season.

Thanx Jordan

I am at wolves (a top 4 club i my game) and a mega rich tycoon purchased the club and gave us a HUGE budget. all the players demanded higher wages and he increased the budget massively so this was easy. We start making a loss each month and he injcts more cash when we get in the red.

2 years later he is bored and decides not to continue injecting money however wages remain the same. we now make a huge loss each month and debt is spiraling out of control.

I am about a year or two away from administration. I am guessing thats the only way to resolve the problem?

Who is your team, how did you make yor profit?

My team is Mohun Bagan, we have an average attendance of 30k with tickets costing £1.10p...disappointing price tbh

I think it's important to ignore your wage budget. I always set my transfer budget to £0 so my wage budget is maxed out. The Chairman often allocates money to the transfer budget as it's at zero, which I then again use the sliders to put it all to wages.

It's a flaw in the game, but it shows that your wage budget should not be followed. Instead you should watch how much money you make/lose each month and act accordingly. My Anderlecht side currently loses a small amount each month, but we profit because of Champions Cup games. By the end of the season I have a very healthy budget to play with, and the balance is never in the red.

Do you struggle to make a profit every month/season, even though you stick within your wage budget that you have been set?

I'm having this problem on Fm10, I never had it on 09, can anyone explain why I am making massive losses at the end of every month/season.

Thanx Jordan

Although some consider it gamey ... arrange one or two pre-season friendlies with local Premier League or Championship teams. It will give you some nice capital for the season ahead.

Then putting in some good perfomances (wins) in the FA/League/FA Trophy/Whatever cups, should give you some nice prize money too.

I managed Bath City in my previous save ... after two seasons (still in BSP) the club had made a very nice profit of 350K.

I've managed to make around 200k during pre-season friendlys but by January I'm beginning to make a loss again, it's getting very frustrating for me, because in real life if Blyth were to make it to League Two, they would sell out thier ground (4400) and I'm getting just over half, therefore leaving me in the red!!!

Fm09 had better finances for me.

blyths reputation is too low for the stadium to sell out, the only real way to improve it is get promoted again. Low rep teams are very hard to get the finances right with, sometimes is impossible to progress because of financial losses.

blyths reputation is too low for the stadium to sell out, the only real way to improve it is get promoted again. Low rep teams are very hard to get the finances right with, sometimes is impossible to progress because of financial losses.

On Fm09 I got Blyth to the championship in 7 seasons without losing a single pound, I made about 5.5 mill on my way there, in the 10th season I got took over by a Serbian tycoon who gave me the budget of 40m to take me to the prem and then wanted me to finish mid table, then my game corrupted :(

now on fm10 I can't enjoy success without massive losses, the new finances have been ruined IMO.

How many players do you have?

Any players who will not benefit your first team, stick in the reserves, transfer/loan list all of them and set to "Not Needed"

Let their contracts run down, and the moment you spot the "wnt" sign, offer them out, even if you're offering them for free

Only because you have a wage/transfer budget, doesn't mean you're able to afford it

You tend to have 2 choices

1 ) Play the long game, be careful with finances and slowly work your way up, sign not as good players as you'll like, but be able to survive financially for quite sometime

2 ) Play the short game, use up as much money as you have, stretch the budget to the max, sign up the best players your rep can afford, but hope it works, because you'll go bankrupt without success

Also, I would suggest not bringing in any "players for the future" until you're better off financially

If you bring in a new player, he MUST be for the benefit of the first team

Also, don't rely on [tycoon] takeovers, they shouldn't be some magic "I win" event, they are boring, but thankfully rare (not as rare as I would like though lol), sure it maybe nice suddenly being given lots of money from nowhere with a reputation boost... but if I wanted that I would use the editor and have it from the start

now on fm10 I can't enjoy success without massive losses, the new finances have been ruined IMO.

I like it that way more. You could get ridiculously rich ridiculously fast in earlier versions

There are basically 2 ways:

1) you are managing a small team. Try to get some extra income by playing against well known teams in pre-season friendlies. Don't use your best players as they could suffer morale.

Try to proceed in the national cups as long as possible. You'll make a nice share of you annual profit from them.

2.) you are managing a team in the top league. Usually your wage budget is too high, so you have to watch your P&L-statement for deciding whether you can afford a player or not. International competitions are great, but unless you are not playing in the CL, the profits are quite low compared to your weekly expenditure.

I am Liverpool and make a loss every month without fail. There is too much money going out and not enough coming in and I am within my wage limit. Th loan they have plus other football costs kill it,nearly 4 million on costs last month so I have to have a successfull season to break even or make a profit untill the sugar daddy arrives.

I am Liverpool and make a loss every month without fail. There is too much money going out and not enough coming in and I am within my wage limit. Th loan they have plus other football costs kill it,nearly 4 million on costs last month so I have to have a successfull season to break even or make a profit untill the sugar daddy arrives.

As I already stated above, the wage budget is usually too high for the clubs can't afford paying 100% of it in the long run. Try to get rid of a few players and check the annual income/expenditure of the club without the wages. Then divide the surplus by 52, and that's your adjusted wage budget.

I agree with Ruskij completely. In previous version you can use up your wage budget and you won't see much losses. I found FM09 far too easy to make a club rich and fast.

I am currently allowed £1.2mil p/w at Rangers for wages, £1.4mil if I change my budget. Having said that I have to keep it around £750k p/w if I want to remain stable, this season however it's gone up to £900k as I push for that Champions League title but have covered it will numerous player sales of payments over 12-36 months. It's quite hard to balance success with a healthy and stable club especially when trying to beat the big teams in Europe. What annoys me the most is I get hardly any prize money/sponsorships compared to the other big European leagues.

I will be making a post about this when my season ends, but I think the financial side of the game is completely broken, or it is used to prevent the player from getting too much money.

I am currently managing a team in the German 2nd division. Finished 4th last season and made a profit of over $15 million (dollars), and was profitable almost every month. This season, same division, I am losing money every month, usually upwards of 400k. The match day costs and non-foorball costs have skyrocketed without any explanation. I think SI uses them to prevent the club from getting too rich too quick. For me this just feels like the wrong way to handle the financial side of the game.

I will be making a post about this when my season ends, but I think the financial side of the game is completely broken, or it is used to prevent the player from getting too much money.

I am currently managing a team in the German 2nd division. Finished 4th last season and made a profit of over $15 million (dollars), and was profitable almost every month. This season, same division, I am losing money every month, usually upwards of 400k. The match day costs and non-foorball costs have skyrocketed without any explanation. I think SI uses them to prevent the club from getting too rich too quick. For me this just feels like the wrong way to handle the financial side of the game.

I don't know exactly the mechanics the financial side of the game is working, but IRL taxes are paid in the year after you declared your profit. This could be the reason why you have higher cost, just because you have to pay for your $15 mio. surplus in the previous season.

Another reason could be that your players have high wage risings in their contracts which will cause a massive lift of you cost every year. If you are paying $100.000 each week, an overall 10% rise of wages would make additional $520.000 a year. I know that this might not be the main reason for your financial troubles, but this might be an explanation too.

The wage budget is your club banking on success... Its set higher in the hope of a big payout at end of seaosn. My united game i have a wage budget of 4.4 mill (totally unnecessary) i spent about 1.6mill and still make a loss.

I did have the issue with LFC but when the latest patch came out i started a fresh save. Instead of losing 5-7m per month I reduced this down to 2-3m. I know this is still a loss but miles better than before & is managable. I did this by offering new contracts but reduce the amount of bonus's. Most players accepted the same wage so there was no increase here. I signed some free players and then loaned them out at 100% wage and a small initial fee. Sold some players with montly payments coming in and reduced the amount of staff.

Every little helps. Im happy keeping a small squad and using youngsters. - Well until a tycoon takes over!

I have a tycoon at Liverpool, my wage budget has always been kept at around a million, despite the board saying I can offer 2.4m and I still lose 8m a month. Yet recoup this from champions league and other competitions, so I end up making about 20m a year profit.

Still, new stadium half built, it'll be spectacular.

Tbf, I only went once very deep in the red, so much so the chairman had to step down, (guess which club I was managing then ?? Real Madrid :p) But I usually leave the financial intricacies to FML. On Fm, till now, in all the games I've played, and the countless seasons involved in them, I always suffer losses almost each month, except the months of May & June. And at the end of the season, I usually take a look at my finances and I see that I have made a profit, marginally though only,(about 9-11Mn) when sometimes I suffer 15-20mn a month loss. Now obviously in these months you would be getting prize money from the League, Cups and Continental trophies. But why the hell, is this applicable in the month of June ???

Is it sponsorship money ?? If so, arent those given out periodically throughout the season ??

I am about a year or two away from administration. I am guessing thats the only way to resolve the problem?

did you try reduced wage contracts ?

did you clear the usual flotsam that usually accumulates in the reserve squad ?

did you try selling the players that wont reduce thier wage demands, and replacing them with cheaper alteratives ?

Administration should be the last thing you want ...

A Quick tip if the premiership teams firsts cant make it to a friendly try asking the Reserves you still get quite a good cash bonus and they are likely to except. The other plus side to this is that the team is not going to be anywhere near as good as the firsts and you should not have such a heavy loss meaning you can keep morale at a high. I set some of these up as a BSN side and i lost alot of the games 1 or 2 nil but my morale was boosted to superb just by one win over the ManUtd reserves and i think i picked up something like 300,000 for the mini league and as they are reserves some of them don't even ask for a fee to play.

Just a tip to anyone who it might help:

Don't use the wage budgets as a financial guideline. The board will not help you manage the finances. It is your responsibility.

I don't know exactly the mechanics the financial side of the game is working, but IRL taxes are paid in the year after you declared your profit. This could be the reason why you have higher cost, just because you have to pay for your $15 mio. surplus in the previous season.

Another reason could be that your players have high wage risings in their contracts which will cause a massive lift of you cost every year. If you are paying $100.000 each week, an overall 10% rise of wages would make additional $520.000 a year. I know that this might not be the main reason for your financial troubles, but this might be an explanation too.

I understand the taxes and knew that would impact things. I am also watching the wages, which seem slightly higher than last year. However, the "other" catagory and "non-football costs" have skyrocketed and, after 9 games of a 36(I think) game season is already over half of the entire last year.

Just a tip to anyone who it might help:

Don't use the wage budgets as a financial guideline. The board will not help you manage the finances. It is your responsibility.

That's pretty poor thinking considering I cannot manage the rest of the finances. The board give you a budget. Staying in it should not break the bank, or if it does, should not be considered the player's fault.

That's pretty poor thinking considering I cannot manage the rest of the finances. The board give you a budget. Staying in it should not break the bank, or if it does, should not be considered the player's fault.

I agree, but it doesn't work that way currently.

As I already stated above, the wage budget is usually too high for the clubs can't afford paying 100% of it in the long run. Try to get rid of a few players and check the annual income/expenditure of the club without the wages. Then divide the surplus by 52, and that's your adjusted wage budget.

Easier said than done when you are Liverpool as the reserve team players are basically rubbish expect for the odd few who you have to send out so they get first team football. You need to buy the best at Liverpool to keep up with the rest to win things but non football costs are just to high and this needs to be addressed in FM 11.

Archived