big problem - help!

hello all im new to this forum as i have just recently discovered the great game of FM08!

now my problem is: i started with chelsea and i did well in the pre season won the games comfortably and so on, but now in the regular season, i have a weird problem. i have weird moments like, i vs a team like west ham, i play my strongest outfield players (this is at home mind you) and i can bearly score 1 goal, or i sometimes lose or draw. then i vs man utd, liverpool and i win 2-0, 2-1. its really bugging me coz i hate losing and drawing to lower teams... please help!!!

hello all im new to this forum as i have just recently discovered the great game of FM08!

now my problem is: i started with chelsea and i did well in the pre season won the games comfortably and so on, but now in the regular season, i have a weird problem. i have weird moments like, i vs a team like west ham, i play my strongest outfield players (this is at home mind you) and i can bearly score 1 goal, or i sometimes lose or draw. then i vs man utd, liverpool and i win 2-0, 2-1. its really bugging me coz i hate losing and drawing to lower teams... please help!!!

As a relative newbie myself I understand your frustration & can relate to it. On too many occassions I can outplay or match the higher level teams but when I come up against a lower team I either wipe the floor with them 4 or 5-0, or they come out like supermen, fast & skilled showing qualities that dont match their stats.

I get frustrated, but I look at it this way...

A lower team goes out and plays to their best ability, they think "We arent going to win, no pressure". Where my team think "Hey, we can cruise this game these guys are easy beats."

Is the game cheating?? Or does the mental aspects of team management make the difference?? I dont know if your comments during the week regarding your next opponent can light a fire under your players a$$...

but i have never beat a lower team by 4-5 goals, but the weirdest thing is, in the champs league i got absolutly hammered 8-2 at home by stuttgart, but then i played them away, still in the group stages, and beat them 3-0 and that so far has been my best result, btw im at december 16th, 2007.

When I started about a month ago, my first year I was sacked. In fact I didnt make it the full year...16 straight losses makes the board unhappy. Its not a game you can jump straight into and win...Iam still learning something each time I play.

Your best bet is what I did. I took a team in the CCC division, good transfer, good wages. Sell all the rubbish, buy free or cheap players. Then jump into the tactics forum and try out different styles. I use 3 or 4 different tactics for home, away, higher teams, lower teams, first half, second half. I like Kimz tactic as most times by half time I can be anywhere from 1 goal up to 5 goals in front. The AI is going to come out in the second half like supermen...so I change my tactics to very defensive with counter and tell the tell not to slacken off. 99 times out of 100 they hang on for the win and sometimes they can extend the margin further. How is your moral?? Moral has a major effect on how your players are...how do you react in your talks??

6-7 first team players morale is superb, the others and my subs are very good, and the rest are just good. just then i played middlesbrough, won 2-0, next game i played derby away and i lost 2-0 but i did get john terry injured and micheal ballack got a red card so i guess there was nothing else i could do really. and in my talks, if im up at half time i say dont get complacent, or if im drawing or losing i say anger.

sounds like your failing to get your guys up for the game. at press conferences try to fire them up (depends on your squad personality). i tend to answer press saying "squad playing well but team x can cause us problems".

I will also engage in manager interaction 2-3 days before the game trying to fire up my squad also without upsetting my guys or firing up the opposition (again depends on your squad what u say here).

finally pre match i tell the guys "you can win today" or to a few guys like my striker (as i know his personality and his likes) "i have faith".

remember, the EPL is a fantastic league and there really are NO easy games

Archived