Webster Ruling

I don't think it's in the game. I desperately hope it's not. It also seems like an incredibly stupid rule.

So a guy signs a 5 year deal, then after 3 years just "leaves" for "footballing reasons"....er... I don't think so. Why not just make the maximum contract length 3 years. Football it become absolutely ridiculous, I can't stand the ins and outs of the game anymore. Mido about the only football player in the world with a respect for the game, in regards to money, it seems.

Salary cap the top Euro leagues, imo. It would benefit football for the long term immensely.

Footballers are employees. They should have some rights. A player may sign a fixed term contract but 3 or 4 years in some unforseen reason may change his circumstances. The Bosman ruling deal with out of contract players and this ruling allows for a three year period without coming into effect.

It would only apply to players who sign contracts of 3 years or longer, fall into the 23 - 28 y/o age bracket after at least three years, want to leave their club, their club wants to keep them or sell for an unreasonable amount and finally another club wants to take said player on.

There is still compensation involved. That probably needs more testing to be fair and realistic to all parties.

If it is in the real world of football (or Europe?) then it should be replicated in FM in my opinion.

I don't think it's in the game. I desperately hope it's not. It also seems like an incredibly stupid rule.

So a guy signs a 5 year deal, then after 3 years just "leaves" for "footballing reasons"....er... I don't think so. Why not just make the maximum contract length 3 years. Football it become absolutely ridiculous, I can't stand the ins and outs of the game anymore. Mido about the only football player in the world with a respect for the game, in regards to money, it seems.

Salary cap the top Euro leagues, imo. It would benefit football for the long term immensely.

I second this. :thup:

It was in the game once but has been removed since.

The Webster ruling is on top of that not in place anymore as the case has been replaced by the Mathuzalem ruling which is a lot different and quite complicated.

Apart from that I'm happy that this is not in the game as I feel these nasty things should not be in and as it hardly happens irl anyway.

• Administrators

Yeah as people have said this rule hasn't been implemented just yet as it's not totally clear how it works - it's something we'll keep an eye on as with all rule changes. But as this stage, no, it's not in there.

Imho it's completely impossible to implement in a video game tbf as the CAS ruling takes so many details of each specific case into account that any general reflection of how the compensation would work in each case would necessarily be wrong.

In the specific case for instance there was a loan agreement between Saragossa and Lazio which was also taken into account.

irl things to consider, if applicable, would be, amongst others:

- a contractually agreed Art 17 compensation

- the old salary

- the new salary

- any other salary offer

- trabsfer fees paid by the old club

- any transfer offer made for the player by any club at any time since

- the amount of agent fees

- the role of a player in his old club

- possible damages from having to spend more on a successor of the player

... and so on.

I would be lost to give any suggestion how all this should be summed up into one general rule which is applied in every case (as I guess it would have to be if used in FM).

And on top of that, it has happened now in 3 single cases over the last 7 or something years (Webster, Ortega, Mathuzalem), so it's not at all as relevant as it may seem.

Archived