What makes a good save?

I've always had difficulty getting a good head of steam behind a game. I want to be able to go for a long time with the same save but I never seem to be able to.

What I want to know is this; what makes a good save? Who do you start with? How do you bring through good youngsters etc? What keeps you interested in it for a long time?

My mate can play 20-30 seasons and, for example, get Huddelsfield into the premiership. I wanna do that! Instead, I get bored after a season or so and start a new game up.

For me, I like a good balance of success and variety. I'll stick with a side for about as long as I last but find it tough to get myself motivated at times if that happens, especially once I hit a ceiling. Maybe quite a few jobs where I do really well for a team for at least a few season in different places. I used to be the same in terms of starting up new games often. Even when I am stuck as far as I can go, I remember that often I do a lot worse and enjoy it while it lasts, and also through knowing that I'm on an adventure that only ends if I decide to so always want to continue and see where it takes me.

for me it is about player/club connections.. i've got to have some emotional attachment to the club, i can't manage a team where i dont know anyone or i dont like certain aspects of it. success is also a fairly big deal as i like to see short-term success

strangely enough i can never really get into an ac milan game (they're the team i support), probably due to it being a bit too easy but i love teams with a few players in them that i enjoy a lot and with a good youth system, preferably not too hard while still being a challenge.

for example, palermo i liked a lot, with pastore and kjaer being the players i enjoyed. at the moment im with porto and i'm thoroughly enjoying it, the domestic league isn't nearly as easy as i thought while im keeping strict with porto tradition (buying young and very cheap to 'train them up') which keeps the challenge.

For me, it's youth players and club development, making money with transfers and hardly ever buying any players.

My mandatory save each FM is Ajax Amsterdam. I stick to initial squad, try to use younger players and sell star players from time to time (mostly if they think they need to move on to further career or want new challenge).

I try to develop my own youth players or at least stick to Dutch regen talents in the future, I've set myself £3m transfer limit per player.

Another club that I started with now is Athletic from Spain, because they are limited to Basque players and it gives extra challenge and limits your options in transfer market.

I've always had difficulty getting a good head of steam behind a game. I want to be able to go for a long time with the same save but I never seem to be able to.

What I want to know is this; what makes a good save? Who do you start with? How do you bring through good youngsters etc? What keeps you interested in it for a long time?

My mate can play 20-30 seasons and, for example, get Huddelsfield into the premiership. I wanna do that! Instead, I get bored after a season or so and start a new game up.

Sounds exactly like me! Im really trying to get into a game where i start lower down the ladder now as i think if i succeed i will really enjoy it.

But the few games where i have gone far have been down to either playing with the team i love (west ham), or starting with an OK team with a big stadium/budget etc. such as Roma and trying to make them the best in the world. (I know Roma are better then an OK team but this is just an example of one of my saves last year:))

Try starting with a team in League 1 who aren't predicted a great position but have good players and decent finances. That way, if you over-achieve you will get better job offers etc. and if you don't do great, you still won't be seen as a bad manager.

I always build a team up as much as I can, maybe win a league or European Cup and then move on to try and build up another team. The only problem I find is when I join my new club, I always try to buy all the good young players I signed for my previous club so essentially I have pretty much the same team just at a lower club.

This is where I start to lose interest but I just cant help it. Its like I think well I found the players in the first place so if I can get them I will.

Set yourself challenges, rules, regulations.

Me personally, as many, LOVE the prospect of taking a small, unknown club from obscurity, and making them into champions. I also love developing youth, and then long term side games, like the Danny Roberts Challenge, Neppo's Youth Player Project, and the 1,000 Appearance Challenge. They're always interesting things to keep in the back of your mind, when you play.

There are a lot of interesting long term gaming threads in Challenges, Sign Ups & Experiments, and then if you do get a good game going, people love to follow good writers careers, in the Careers Updates Thread.

That, pretty much as a whole, is the reason I love long term games.

I like taking teams that I never would have thought of up or trying my hardest to.

I've managed AC Ajaccio and Albacete in this save and they've both become teams I've loved managing. Not buying the usual players too has been fun!

If the missus let's me, I think I'm going to start in league two again tonight. Take Bradford again (I started a game as them, got bored and made Chelsea sign loads of their players for silly money).

They have a 22000 seater stadium and decent training grounds already, get cracking into it and start utterly from scratch. Hopefully I can make them a force in the fairly short future. We'll see tho.

I'm currently in 2020 with my save, I like to use my imagination a bit

I started off as an American with Semi-Pro rep that just got a break to come and manage in the Blue Square Premier (made a story up in my head). I made it my goal to work my way up through the divisions and eventually manage my favorite club Liverpool, as well as the United States. This worked out well as Liverpool haven't managed to win anything since my save started, so I have the added aim to get them back to the glory days. So, I started at York City and worked them through the Football League to the Championship. My reputation was growing to a level where I could get a relegation level Premier League side. Bolton were 9 points off safety so I declared my interest right before they sacked their manager. Then took them to safety and prepared for the next season. After a few years I managed to get them into 4th place as well as bringing home the Europa League.

I got tired of Bolton after a while and made up another scenario where I had a fallout with the board. I parted ways and went on vacation for a while. After some months the Ajax chairman approached me so I took the job there. Won the league with them 2 times and got some Champions League experience. I actually applied to Liverpool after they finally sacked Benitez but they chose Stoichov instead.

After 2 seasons with Ajax, Manchester City came calling for me after they had failed to establish themselves as a dominant force in England. (Only 3 FA Cup wins and a Premier League title to show for their millions). I saw this as a good opportunity to up my rep some more so I took the job. 3 years on and I have won the League 3 times, and won a Champions League with them.

Now I'm biding my time until Liverpool sack their manager so I can finally get the job I have been striving for. They haven't won anything bar the Carling Cup since 2009-2010 (it is now 2020).

Basically what I'm saying is that you should set goals for yourself. Start as a relatively unknown character with a dream to managing your favorite club. I think you will get far more out of it than if you just choose them right out of the block.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should set goals for yourself. Start as a relatively unknown character with a dream to managing your favorite club. I think you will get far more out of it than if you just choose them right out of the block.

I'd say that you can do without a goal in front of you.

I enjoy process even more. I don't like to rush with the game, I only play one game in IRL day (2 if I'm really bored and have too much time).

Instead I commit to it, not rushing things, preparing for the game, analyzing opponent squad, my squad, players form and how did they perform in last game etc.

Afterwards the game is just outcome of all that.

It takes 1,5-2 months to finish one season. So I don't like so much running through seasons to get one goal, but I enjoy the game itself.

I would say Success for my games, but that doesn't always mean winning as success changes depending on when the team can do.

Playing as Fleetwood town in the 2019/2020 season and in the championship and succes for me at the moment is avoiding relegation and has been for the past 3 season. Finished them 21st, 18th and 18th. These season I am mid table and enjoying it.

im not sure what makes a good save in 09 i was at arsenal 8yrs but was bored because i was always winning things. so this time round i decided to have no fav team and started at lazio im in my 5th season and i generally overachieve but saying that i have only won 1 league 1 italian cup and 1 super cup for me its the challenge i think to build a 'fergie' club if i get bored ill see out the contract and find a fallen giant to build back up from scratch.

Archived