Backpasses to goalkeepers

Anyone else thinks that keepers seem to handle backpasses very/too well?

First of all, I believe that there are too many backpasses. Especially in risky situations (with strikers in the box), the defenders regularly pass the ball back to the keeper. Even if the keeper just stopped a shot (and should be laying on the ground) he perfectly delivers the backpass with a one-touch kick to one of his teammates. Has anyone ever seen a GK who didn't hit the ball and thus produced an own goal?

Share your opinion.

Anyone else thinks that keepers seem to handle backpasses very/too well?

First of all, I believe that there are too many backpasses. Especially in risky situations (with strikers in the box), the defenders regularly pass the ball back to the keeper. Even if the keeper just stopped a shot (and should be laying on the ground) he perfectly delivers the backpass with a one-touch kick to one of his teammates. Has anyone ever seen a GK who didn't hit the ball and thus produced an own goal?

Share your opinion.

I don't get that many backpasses, perhaps you need to look at your tactics.

When I do if the keeper has time I guess he tries to pick someone out or pass short while when in trouble he clears anywhere.

I used to get a lot of back passes I have seen some from attacking mid fielders near on the centre line (lower leagues). Since I have got to the prem. I haven't noticed as many.

My tactics are similar except I play less direct and of course my players are better

About OP - I suggest that it depends on keeper's first touch and composure attribute. If he has good first touch he can take ball to his foot without problems. Good composure makes him able to pass it forward without getting nervous under strikers presence. But that, of course, doesn't explain why goalies with poor first touch and composure are able to do it as easily as described.

About backpasses - it's obviously your tactics. If you have instructed your defenders to play short passes and opponents are pressuring them, they see no other short pass than playing it back to goalie. Try to play more mixed passing game.

I've seen very few errors from goalkeepers on backpasses (and I think only poor kicks which might not be related to the backpass at all), but it drives me mental that in the lower leagues you see at least 1 or 2 backpasses every game that go behind for a corner.

When i saw this thread thought it was about Stevie "can't pass" Gerrard.

LOL :D:thup:

Seriously though, I'm seeing way too many backpasses that go out for corners because they are risky and/or impossible for the goalkeeper to reach (or sometimes he could probably have reached it if he actually tried running!). It's probably a tactical thing though since nobody else is whining about it :p

LOL :D:thup:

Seriously though, I'm seeing way too many backpasses that go out for corners because they are risky and/or impossible for the goalkeeper to reach (or sometimes he could probably have reached it if he actually tried running!). It's probably a tactical thing though since nobody else is whining about it :p

I have the same issue - my keeper will make a world class save, diving to the top corner to stop a shot and the ball will rebound to a defender who will immediately pass back to the keeper (who has only just landed from making the save!). Every time the keeper will just recover and kick the ball back to a defender. I think it's a match engine problem rather than tactics.

I have the same issue - my keeper will make a world class save, diving to the top corner to stop a shot and the ball will rebound to a defender who will immediately pass back to the keeper (who has only just landed from making the save!). Every time the keeper will just recover and kick the ball back to a defender. I think it's a match engine problem rather than tactics.

Yes, I think that this part of the described problem is rather a ME problem. It seems that I should play more lower league saves to see more GK mistakes though. Thanks for your responses so far!

Archived