Have you ever tried 'throwing a game' in FM?

With the hot topic on Liverpool and Lazio throwing a game, have you ever did that in FM?

For eg, you may have already won the league with no other commitments while another team needs a win against you to push your arch-rivals to relegation or out of a Europe spot. So you fielded a u-18/young/weakened/poor morale squad or even put a striker as a gk in the last 15-20 mins.

With the hot topic on Liverpool and Lazio throwing a game, have you ever did that in FM?

For eg, you may have already won the league with no other commitments while another team needs a win against you to push your arch-rivals to relegation or out of a Europe spot. So you fielded a u-18/young/weakened/poor morale squad or even put a striker as a gk in the last 15-20 mins.

No never - its not in the spirit of the game for me. And if I had won the league then I would strive to win by more - but I may field a couple of young prospects for game time as I do this currently. And I would not want my rivals relegated - I would want them in the same division for a bit of rivalry and so I could do the double over them! :D

I've never really faced a similar situation. I don't really think about things like that while playing the game, so it would probably never even cross my mind.

PS. Not trying to start that debate here - again - but there are no similarities at all between the Liverpool and the Lazio game. Only the latter was a disgrace to football, imo.

Anyone who's watched Liverpool this season would not say we threw yesterdays game.

I have tried sort of thrown a game though, when i was playing a go with a mate.

We were playing in the World Cup as Denmark and Chile. In my last group stage game i was playing Brazil and needed a draw to win the group, while Brazil would go out if i beat them. Chile were already through to the knockout round and would play the runners-up in my group, either Brazil or Slovakia, so leading Brazil 1-0 in the last 10 minutes i threw 10 men into attack and gave them instructions to try and get them to not defend, so as to to try and concede and take Brazil through. It was hilarious watching my whole team charging back to try and stop Brazil walking through without any defenders, but amazingly we still ended up winning. Typical, isn't it?

I've thrown a game to stop Liverpool winning the league. My top 4 finish with Everton was confirmed but I had Arsenal at Goodison 2nd to last game of the season who need to win to stay above Liverpool. My hate for Liverpool came through and yes I threw the game. Bad I know but sod Liverpool winning the title! I'd do it again, only for Liverpool though. :)

I've never thrown a game on purpose, but I do view league matches after the league is already won as a great chance to give my youngsters a go at first team matches without risking too much. I never do this in CL matches as there is money for a win (ie something to play for) even if the group is already won. Sometimes the youngsters do a good match sometimes not, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in giving them the experience.

I was playng in the CL groups with AC Milan, the last game was away against Ajax who needed a win to progress at the expense of Barcelona (i had already won the group). I put 5 midfielders and 5 attackers, but it was still close so i changed my keeper with a defender, lost 10-7. I did that because Barcelona thrashed me 6-1 the previous season in the quarterfinals.

Not the greatest feeling in the end though.

I've toyed with the idea before. I've had situations where my club is in "danger" of being promoted, but would be hopelessly outclassed if we were to go up. Not just in terms of the abilities of the playing squad, but financially, and also the club's infrastructure (stadium capacity, training facilities etc). Much as I love being the man to lead my home-town club to dizzying heights, I don't want to overstretch them and turn us into a laughing stock.

As it turned out, we naturally lost in the play-offs anyway, but I'm not sure what I would have decided if it had really come down to it.

I've played the reserve team in the last 10-15 matches of seasons where I knew I was save from relegation. The two reason I do it are to give players some time on the pitch so they improve faster, and for the much worse reason that I sometimes want to finish low down the table. There is nothing fun about finishing 7-8 in the Premier League after promotion then being sacked the next year when the expectations are too high and injuries and player sales decimate your squad and you finish in a more realistic position.

I've never thrown a match to aid/hinder anyone else in the league. I'll worry about my own team no one else.

If I win the league i put my youth team on for the remainder of the matches. My youth team however could probably win europa league so they are very strong so I don't feel I'm fielding a weaker side. Never threw a match, I always want to win as I like to break positive records (highest conceded isnt on my list). Tbh this could go the way of Wolves too fielding a weaker side against Man Utd a few months back. I don't think its anybodies business what side you field its the managers decision but I feel aslong as it benefits your squad in the long term such as a cup run or give youth experience I don't see a single problem with it. However, if it doesn't benefit you in anyway I would consider it "throwing a game".

I have played a team of kids many a time when I had nothing to play for, which judging by what happened to Wolves is against premier league rules. So maybe I should have been fined or something.

I had won the title with man city and played liverpool, the team i support, was the 2nd last game of the season and had they won, would have gone into last day 2 points inside top 4. But i couldnt go through with sending out with the youngsters/reserves so sent out a pretty full squad, with a few changes. Ended 2-2, but admittidly, with 5 mins to go, i did go overly agressive and brought a couple of decent players off, but managed to hold on.

They drew on the last day anyway and failed to get top 4!

Yes. I was in the play-offs with Rochdale in L1, guaranteed 3rd placed. I felt I could beat Gillingham & York who were 4th and 5th, but Wigan were currently in 6th place, and I didn't think i'd beat them. My last game was against 7th place Southend or Stockport, and i threw the game to let them win. They took 6th, i eliminated them in the playoffs, and won in the final. I dont think I would've beaten Wigan, so i made the right call :).

I can't say I've ever considered it. I don't really pay attention to my rivals fixtures unless it's really close with 3 or 4 games left.

I've fielded a weakened team in the CL once qualified from the groups when I've had a game against a top team in the league that weekend. Not actually tried to lose a game though.

The last day in the SPL, my Celtic team had won the league about 12 games before the end, so with one game left I put a team of kids out against Hibs, as Hibs needed 3 points to finish second ahead of Rangers. I prefer Hibs to Rangers, so I let them win by playing a team of kids that I knew wouldn't be able to win.

I usually chuck team of youngsters out if I'm safe/wrapped up title comfortably but I also play them throughout the year.

I also admit to flat out cheating (adding new manager, usually called Graham Poll) to keep Wigan up (when I'm not them) by making relegation rivals lose easily... not pretty i know but what can I say? I love my wigan

They wanted Inter to beat them to help them hold off Roma in the Serie A title race. They boo'd everything their own side did (including when their GK made a save) and cheered Inter on. That was more what the fans did as opposed to the players though. Anyway helping teams who need something late in the season by rolling over against them if you have nothing to play for is tradition over there. Anyway I've never done it, or would even field a weakened side (changing a line-up around too much has never gone well for me) which would end up benefiting someone else.

Middlesbrough had 28 points having played there 38 games in the prem, Wolves had 27 Points and in the relagation with one game to go against Chelsea (My Team) Cause Gareth Southgate is a sad excuse for a manager who sits there as a pundit critisicing Chelsea as of late, I fielded a youth team against Wolves and Middlesbrough got relagated :)

only once on a LAN game with FM 09, told the keeper to run forward as much as possable after going 3-0 up, keeper than scored a screamer :S went on to draw 4-4 though, cant remember why i was throwing the game though ><

never really thrown away a game although if i do get the chance i wouldnt hesitate to relegate everton, billericay or basingstoke

Strange selection of teams there.

A few times, just to see if I could (tactically, you understand, not by using rubbish players). The key is lots of closing down and stuff to wear them out.

Yes. It was in the Champions Leauge against Celtic. I was 2-0 up and realised if Celtic beat me they'd qualify ahead of quite a big named team (the actual club escapes me right now). I put Ferdinand in goal, Foster up front and Rooney in defence. Lost 4-3 I think.

:)

On my game I took over Man City in 2017, after I built my team up it became easy and we were unbeatable. I don't like being 30 points clear so I always hope I lose by not using the TS. It gets boring winning everything, I want a team to actually challenge my side

I threw a championship playoff final once with Barnet, I had a 10k (ish) stadium, and no quality players, I suspect we would have lost anyway but I wasnt chancing it so left my best midfielder and striker out of the game and played a small child at centre back.

me and my friend did a championship save together i was second and only needing 3 points to get automatic promotion he was top and had already blitzed the league so he stuck his reserves on me i won the game 2-0 now were both playing in the premiership :)

I put a very young side out in a second leg of a UEFA cup 1st knockout round 2nd leg to avoid fixture congestion, and "give them the experience". It was away to Roma, I'd lost the first leg 2-0, and I ended up winning the treble in Scotland as Greenock Morton so it was totally worth it. (lost 2nd leg 2-1)

I thought about it the other day when i was playing as Wishaw in the SPL. On the last day of the season i played Rangers,the team i support IRL, at home. Rangers and Celtic were both level on points but Rangers had a better GD. I had already tied up 3rd place and was toying with the idea of putting in my utterley useless youth players to let Rangers win the league. in the end i couldnt go through with it and played my full strength side and beat them 1-0 to hand Celtic the title.

One of the worst feelings i have had on FM. :(

I often throw out a team of kids, but only when there really is nothing to play for such as the the last day of the season or the 6th CL game when the group/league has already been won.

Same here.

Never intentionally thrown a game though. No matter who I play, I always aim for at least one point.

I did throw a game once.

I lost a game I should of won easily and threw my dummy out of the pram, turning off the computer with out saving the result.

When I calmed down and laughed at my self for a while I reloaded and spent about 15 attempts saving and reloading so I could recreate the loss. Eventually managed to get a similar result.

It can be bloody difficult to lose on purpose with out playing really silly tactics or players out of position (both of which I did not want to do as I wanted to lose again in the correct way).

Never.

Often throw the kids in at the end of the season if it's already won, but I never consider how this is affecting other teams in the league, it's just for their personal development.

Archived