World Player of the Year

I'm playing as Werder Bremen. My striker (a common buy from Dinamo Kiev) is the current European Striker of the Year.

after averaging 8.06 over 38 games, with 22 goals and 19 assists.

Since then he has been even better for me, but yet again the world player of the year's 35 man shortlist has come around, and he's not on it. It was baffling when it happened last year, and it's even more confusing now.

At least last year there were no nominees from the German leagues, so I thought it was just an aggressive bias against teams outside England, Spain and Italy, but this year I look and see that Bayern Munich have had Gourcuff nominated, despite an average that just clears 7, and with 8 goals and 6 assists over the year. (my ST has 11 goals and 9 assists this season alone, not to mention his blistering end to the previous season).

So now I know it's not league rep.

France did badly in the World Cup, so I don't think it's international performance.

I don't see how it could be player or club rep either, as last year, Ashley Young got nominated with an av. rating of 7.05, playing for Villa who are still an upper-mid-table club. My ST has a "continental" reputation, as does Young, but plays for a Bremen team who have won the German league 5 consecutive years and have always progressed further than Bayern or Villa in Europe, so my team rep should at least rival theirs.

So just what is it that is stopping my players challenging for major individual honours?

I'm playing as Werder Bremen. My striker (a common buy from Dinamo Kiev) is the current European Striker of the Year.

after averaging 8.06 over 38 games, with 22 goals and 19 assists.

Since then he has been even better for me, but yet again the world player of the year's 35 man shortlist has come around, and he's not on it. It was baffling when it happened last year, and it's even more confusing now.

At least last year there were no nominees from the German leagues, so I thought it was just an aggressive bias against teams outside England, Spain and Italy, but this year I look and see that Bayern Munich have had Gourcuff nominated, despite an average that just clears 7, and with 8 goals and 6 assists over the year. (my ST has 11 goals and 9 assists this season alone, not to mention his blistering end to the previous season).

So now I know it's not league rep.

France did badly in the World Cup, so I don't think it's international performance.

I don't see how it could be player or club rep either, as last year, Ashley Young got nominated with an av. rating of 7.05, playing for Villa who are still an upper-mid-table club. My ST has a "continental" reputation, as does Young, but plays for a Bremen team who have won the German league 5 consecutive years and have always progressed further than Bayern or Villa in Europe, so my team rep should at least rival theirs.

So just what is it that is stopping my players challenging for major individual honours?

How is your player doing internationally? How far do you go in contintental comps? These have a big say iirc.

how does it count at international level? messi won it this year and as far as i remember argentina had a pretty dismal wc qual campaign but club wise they won 6 honours...surely club would over rule country in that respect

• 1 month later...

I think it has more to do with the club and player reputations than the player's performances. I've just had 15 players on the 35 man shortlist, surely a record? Some of these players haven't had great seasons but still got on there ahead of players from other teams who have performed better.

Archived