cannot get a win

Hi all

I am new to all this so I just wanted an opinion. I started a journeyman and I have had 2 successful seasons with Septemvri in Bulgarian second div, 10th position in the first season when we were destined for relegation by the odds, and then took over at Optava in Czech second div, and half way in the season, got a job with Zwolle FC. Rest of second season was quite good, finished a respectable 9th and I noticed that most of my players had very high wages, like 7K-8K per week which the club could not afford. So I decided to let all the players go and just keep the captain. Pre season was really good, won against Karlsruhe, Hamburg and Shalke so I thought I would be quite confident for promotion. However, first 3 league matches and 3 losses.

My question is, is it my tactics which are not working well anymore (using a 451 which is my preferred formation and even the assman told me to play like that) or else maybe I need some time for the players to gel together? All players I got were on a free, and quite good players for the Juplier League.

After reading your post I feel that it may just be a case of the team has not had chance to gel. My current save, I am Bath City. I started unemployed and got the job there with just 12 games to go in the season. No signings, but I helped the club avoid relegation. During the summer, I went on the rampage and near enough changed the entire squad. The following season (which was last season) we were languishing around 15th until we had 10 or so games left, but all of a sudden the team clicked and that was it, we went on a 15 game unbeaten run and ended up finishing 9th. This season I brought in 1 player during the summer and kept the rest and now we are top of the table after 10 games winning 9 and losing one. These players aren't exactly what you would call Blue Square South superstars.

For the time being, I would recommend that while the players are gelling you keep creative freedom to a minimum because I find that players stray from your instruction with too much and when they have no idea who they are playing with, can spell disaster.

Hope this helps and good luck in the Jupiler League :)

Hey Mate

Thanks. I am not sure about the creative freedom setting, I think everything is Rigid though. Have to check. But thanks for the tip. Yeah I got some rejects from Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV and Go Ahead, which are supposed to be pretty darn good for the Jupiler. Also some Belgian U/21 loanees. Will just have to wait then

Rigid is a good place to start I agree. I'm on very rigid at the moment because I want the defenders doing their job and nothing else. Eventually, I'll start to tinker with the players mentalities when they have fully settled and I feel they are capable.

Another thing I find very useful is the Pre-Match Advice Meeting with your Ass.Man. Nine time out of Ten he will tell me that "X Club tend do play well against teams who play a quick tempo" or "X Club play well against teams who play with narrow width". So for that game I would play a slow tempo and play wide (both on the first notch after mixed) I don't worry too much about the formation. I prefer 4-4-2 because its pretty much a 'worldwide' formation.

So I'd advise if a team plays well against certain styles of football, play the opposite way. Its worth a shot and I can say its work for me quite consistently as my current season suggests. :)

Well to tell you the truth, I am not trusting the AssMan too much anymore! I've had him for half of last season, did a mistake to change the one that there was at the club, and also assigned him to go to conferences, but he always makes bad comments. I wish to change him but seeing as he is on quite a good wage, Terminating his contract would be a big financial blow. However if he continues like this, I might be forced to sack him.

As regards to formation, I prefer the 4-5-1 because I like to have 3 players in the middle who can create, and the lone striker as a deep lying fast and agile striker. Sometimes I change him with a Target man on Support, but apart from having good headers, he is not very fast.

However the last match i tried to play a diamond formation, against Den Bosch who are favourites for promotion, away, and only lost 1-0 to a penalty in the last 5 mins. However they had most of the game, and I hardly created any chances

What is your closing down like for the team? I'm tend to employ a very high closing down policy because I'm not having those dirty opposition players keeping MY ball for long :D

Must admit, 4-5-1 is a great tactic. What roles have you got for the 3 central midfielders? I'd recommend a deep-lying playmaker in the centre, and a ball-winner and box-to-box. Also, with you wanting to have a fast agile striker upfront, I'd play your 2 wingers as inside forwards, so they almost play a Ronaldo/Messi-esqe role.

But its all down to what you are happy with. It sounds like you've signed some quality players who all have a point to prove to the teams that dropped them. It'll be a rough ride for a while, but if you can find a stopgap style of play that helps you scrape the odd result here and there until the players are gelled then you can slowly (and i reiterate slowly) get the players playing the way you want them.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the default settings that the game provides for player roles, but they're a good place to start from.

It took my players the best part of 30+ games to start showing signs of a unit and I'd put that down to the low creative freedom.

There is a great thread on either this forum or the Tactics and Trainings forum that explains squad gelling better than I could. But I do feel that this is the origin of your current problem.

My Closing Down is Press More at the moment. My 3 central mids, I have a DM, which is an Anchor, a Deep Lying PLaymaker and a Central Mid on Support. Then I like my 2 wingers to run with the ball as much as possible and cross when I have the Target Man, and Cut Inside when I have the deep lying striker. Sometimes I also move one of the Mids as another DM, so I have an Anchor and a Central Mid Def (I think that is his role) and move the Mid as an AM, either Advanced PLaymaker of Trequartista.

Yeah this tactic has always worked with the teams I was with before, and that is why I tried to get the players I wanted to play this tactic. They have to get used to it I guess

Archived