Easy to pick cup opponent!

This is just a random musing, so I apologize for anyone who thought this post would have any real value.

Is it just me or is it all too common that the team you are scheduled to play in a cup game is also the same team you will play in a league match just before or just after said cup match?

In several leagues and in several versions of FM (2010 and prior), I've noticed that I end up playing the same team two matches in a row. For example, if I'm going to the X Cup 2nd Round, the team I play will be the same team I play in the league just before or just after the cup game.

I have no idea why this happens and no statistical analysis to support this. Additionally, it's not a complaint, just something I've seen over and over.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

I tend to notice I will get West Ham in the Cup, and then the next game in the PL is against West Ham also.. (West Ham was the first team I thought of as an example! I am not saying I got West Ham).

So yeah, I often notice this a lot to be honest. Is this some freaky coincedence? :eek:

I have this all the time - every season playing as Liverpool, 9 times out of 10 I will get a team in my league and a team I will play in a league match either the game before or after.

I bet you only notice it because it's something different. You'll have 100 cup draws and think nothing of it, but the one time this happens you notice it and it sticks out in your mind.

Ok - got through to league cup quarter final - drew Man City and low and behold who do i play the the league immediatly before the quarter final - you guessed it Man City! Tow out of three rounds now this has happened - I will post an update if I get to the semi's.

Happened to me recently. First played in the French League Cup against Stade de Reims and won, then played against them just afterwards and won, then latrer in the season I played against Evian Thonon-Gaillard FC in the Championnat and game ended in a draw, and faced them in the cup then just after it, losing 3-5. But I ended up also playing against Stade de Reims before that defeat, in the previous round of the Cup, and (naturally) no game against them then in Championnat, as it was still autumn part of the season.

Ok - got through to league cup quarter final - drew Man City and low and behold who do i play the the league immediatly before the quarter final - you guessed it Man City! Tow out of three rounds now this has happened - I will post an update if I get to the semi's.

Not 3 out of 3 right? So it's random.. you're just lucky :)

It is not random - the previous season this happened:

Tottenham in 5th rd of FA cup, next game in league Tottenham

Man City in Champions Leage Quarters and next league game Man City, then the next game was the FA cup semi's and I get Man City

Arsenal in Champions League Semi's, next league game - Arsenal

It is not random - the previous season this happened:

Tottenham in 5th rd of FA cup, next game in league Tottenham

Man City in Champions Leage Quarters and next league game Man City, then the next game was the FA cup semi's and I get Man City

Arsenal in Champions League Semi's, next league game - Arsenal

But why it isn't happening to me? You're just lucky man.

I tend to notice I will get West Ham in the Cup, and then the next game in the PL is against West Ham also.. (West Ham was the first team I thought of as an example! I am not saying I got West Ham).

So yeah, I often notice this a lot to be honest. Is this some freaky coincedence? :eek:

thats just happened to me with West Ham, Played them in league the FA cup fiollowing game...freaky!!!

Archived