How do attendances work?

Just started my fourth season in charge of my local team Blyth Spartans.

In the first season they start in the Blue Square North and are expected to finish mid table. I managed to win the league by 1 Point. My average attentance was around 600!!!

Second season, now I was in the Blue Square Premier, I knew I would need better players in order to survive which ultimately means more money spent on higher contracts. Media prediction was to finish rock bottom of the league (24th) I managed to survive and finish 9 points of relegation finishing 17th. My average attendance was around 900!!!

Third season, my second season in the Blue Square Premier, media still had me down as a relegation side expecting me to finish (23rd) to against all the odds we finished 3rd, only 1 point and 3 goals away from winning the title. Sadly we lost in the semi final 3-2 on aggregate to Barrow. The average attendance this season was 1100!!!

I am now 14 games into my fourth season, and I'm sitting top of the table on goal difference. The question is why people flocking through the turnstiles to see a winning team? At the minute I am averaging an attendance of 995!!! Compare that to Mansfield Town who average 3874 and are 18th in the league!

How can I compete with the big boys and achieve promotion to the football league without entering debt? How can I get and extra 1500 fans through the doors? Should I just accept it and get relagated back to the Blue Square North so I won't make a loss week in week out?

Archived