Homegrown players

Question:

Why don't players who've been homegrown at your own club count as 'homegrown player from same nation as club'?

I've done all my transfer dealings for the summer and now find out i need to bring in another 6 players who're homegrown in Portugal! My 34yo captain who has not left Portugal in 17 years of professional football doesn't even count as being homegrown in Portugal.

Incidentally, what happens if you can't satisfy the quota?

"Homegrown player from same nation as club" would be something like Fabregas. He counts as homegrown for Arsenal, but homegrown from same nation as club for any other English side.

What would happen if you dont satisfy the quota, is that you cant register as many players as if you've had filled the quota. As of now, you can only register (max amount of players allowed)-(those you need to fill the quota). For CL, this would be 25-6=19.

See, i would've thought a player who is "Homegrown by club" would count as "Homegrown from same nation as club" also because it's really two of the same thing for some players isn't it? Fabregas is both trained in England and trained at Arsenal. I would've expected him to count as both while he's at Arsenal.

I manage in Portugal's Liga Vitalis and the squad registration rules are:

- Maximum of 30 Over-19 players (Born before 14.8.1991)

- Minimum of 8 players trained in Portugal.

- Squad Numbers Assigned 0/50.

Is the motivation behind it being trained in Portugal, hence excluding homegrown players by club, so that you don't just use your youth team to meet the quota? It's quite frustrating. There are not many good Portuguese players, but a lot of good Brazilians. :)

So if i only had two players "Homegrown from same nation as club", would i only be able to have 24 players instead of 30 over the age of 19? I think i can live with that if that's the case. Quite a few of my squad are very young anyway.

This:

homegrown.png

As you can see, only Fonseca and Teixeira count as Homegrown players having been trained by Portuguese clubs Santa Clara and Porto.

But Jorge Silva, Paulo Sampaio, Luis Ramos, Joao Paulo Xavier, Pedro Morais and Jorge Andrade do not count as Homegrown despite being trained in Portugal (at Boavista). The latter five were promoted from our own youth team by me, while Jorge Silva is a veteran of the club.

It's not a big problem at the moment as i don't need to register 30 players over the age of 19; if you exclude the 6 Homegrown players i don't have, i can make do with a squad of 24. But it could be a problem in the future so it'd be good to know if this is intentional or a mistake. :thup:

About Jorge Silva is weird.. i remember him remotely from IRL and don't remember if he spend his entire career on Boavista but since you are saying just looks like a glitch.

All the others though they are still 17, i think the game only counts as HG once they complete the 3 years on the club.. if you click on views and choose homegrown status, doesn't show the due date for homegrown?

Also kudos on managing Boavista, still unbelievable how they have fallen from Superleague Champions(breaking the big three dominance as well) to Second Division B..

Someone's got to bring them back to the top. :thup:

You're right about the youth players, it says '20.6.2011 (club)' which is in a years time - looking at my youth team this year as well i think it must be two years rather than three that they need to complete. My worry though is that it says "club" and so when they get older they won't be HG insofar as 'by Nation'. Like Jorge Silva.

If you're wondering, Jorge Silva was at Boavista from 93-94 to 03-04 aside from a few seasons out on loan early in his career. He then joined Beira-Mar for three seasons, before joinining Feirense for a season and then returned back to Boavista on a free for the start of the 09-10 season in the Second Division. So he's spent most of his career here, and he was the club captain when i took over.

It's weird then i hope it turns out ok.

Even though i manage pretty much all my games in Portugal never really paid attention to that since i could use the blank spots for the requirement.. but i sign a lot of players that aren't older than 18 so they spend the 3 Homegrown years in Portugal for the European competitions registration and never had an issue, i think a homegrown in club ends up counting for nation automatically despite that Jorge Silva problem.

I've just noticed something that i think gives us a big clue. My young 18-year-old goalkeeper, Pedro Cavada, who i'm trying to offload has 'HG' status; but it also says 'Trained at club' in his 'Home-Grown Status' column. Having checked, he's been at the club since he was about 8.

This to me indicates there is a glitch with Jorge Silva specifically, and the evidence is that Jorge Silva's 'Home-Grown Status' is blank. He's neither 'Trained at club' or 'Trained in nation', despite being at a Portuguese club since he was 16.

I'm pretty sure loaning players out has no effect regardless of where they go - I have a Keeper I've loaned out for 5 seasons to various different countries and he counts as club homegrown. As long as they have a due date on the Homegrown Status screen and you keep them past that date they'll count as Homegrown.

Archived