90 million...

is the predicted winnings for the championship play off final ( according to bbc sport). so it got me thinking, i've gone up via championship play-offs before, and i never get that sort of windfall. I'm not expecting for future versions to get 90M but i was just thinking, to make it more realistic, that SI implement a substantial amount of money for the play off winners? thanks.

here is the link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swansea_city/8653090.stm

The 90m is everything extra that the team will hope to get next year, from tv money to prize money for finishing last, including extra expected merchandise and gate receipts. I can't find a figure straight off, but I'd expect the actual prize money for winning to be more like £500k.

Realistically £90m is about double what the team can expect to actually get.

Chances are they'd make nowhere near that, and certainly would 'win' very little.

- Championship prize money

- Ticket revenue from playoff games (?)

- Increased ticket sales

- Higher ticket prices

- More TV money

- Higher prize money

- More merchandising sales (esp. if they attract new signings)

- Greater sponsorship

- Potential parachute payments if relegated

All of this is in the game.

It's not gonna be £90,000,000. I'd say £30,000,000 top's come the end of the premiership season, depending entirely on where they finish.

If the championship play-off winners got £90,000,000 then there's gotta be a hell of a massive blackhole at Hull for them to be struggling financially after a windfall like that.

It's not gonna be £90,000,000. I'd say £30,000,000 top's come the end of the premiership season, depending entirely on where they finish.

If the championship play-off winners got £90,000,000 then there's gotta be a hell of a massive blackhole at Hull for them to be struggling financially after a windfall like that.

It comes to just over 60million after the first season. After that it depends on where you finish as to how much money you get.

Chances are they'd make nowhere near that, and certainly would 'win' very little.

- Championship prize money

- Ticket revenue from playoff games (?)

- Increased ticket sales

- Higher ticket prices

- More TV money

- Higher prize money

- More merchandising sales (esp. if they attract new signings)

- Greater sponsorship

- Potential parachute payments if relegated

All of this is in the game.

stop on, all of this is in the game, you will get more money for getting promoted, more than 2nd place i dont think it is anywere near the £90 million you said, other wise Burnley wouldve given more money to Coyle come the beginning if the season and would still be there and not at Bolton now

They do not mean that they get prize money for winning the play off, more that they will get 90M pound more by playing in the Prem for a season than if they had spent it playing in the Championship, I once heard the game described as the richest one-off-game in football because of the potential revenue it brings

stop on, all of this is in the game, you will get more money for getting promoted, more than 2nd place i dont think it is anywere near the £90 million you said, other wise Burnley wouldve given more money to Coyle come the beginning if the season and would still be there and not at Bolton now

"stop on" Hahahaha

Sure the top 2 get very slightly more, but the whole idea is the playoff final is a one off game, decided over 90 minutes plus extra time / penalties. The winners end up in the Premiership, with higher sponsorship, ticket prices, a fuller stadium, bigger prize money, bigger TV money, and should they get relegated straight away anyway, parachute payments which will still leave them better off than other Championship sides.

Meanwhile the losers get another year in the Championship with no financial reward.

The difference between the winners and losers after 3 seasons (worst case of 1 year up then two on parachute payments) is what's being estmated at around 90 mil. It isn't a lump sum given to them for winning the match.

Why would you expect the playoff winners to get a bigger reward than the league winners? :p

It's actually around £45 million. Promotion brings the club around £13 million alone. The Premiership gives all it's clubs money, and the minimum is £27.5million so that would take it to £30 already, and that's without the likes of TV money, sponsorship money etc etc.

But, £90 million is so unrealistic....

No it's not. Because over the 3-4 years after relegation the club will get £48m in Parachute payments (Obviously if they go back up, the parachute payments stop)

So, £13m for Promotion, £30m in TV/Sponsorship money and the potential £48m parachute payments already adds up to £91m. Added to that your club's fanbase will expand rapidly aswell.

Archived