What made this series so popular?

What makes the FM series such a popular game? Yes it is the best football management game but it has that something extra that sets it apart from the rest even if it is superior in so many areas.

I remember playing CM2 and I think what drew me in was the database of players and the number of stats. Realistic stats that is! Also the use of real photos in the background made a huge difference. In other words it felt more "real" than other games.

Simple: It cuts to the chase quickly. The emails add a human touch to the game and seeing lots of helpful text at the start is very comforting.

Realistic: It's the most realistic football simulation out there and even old iterations of the series had largely-predictable consequences. The players are well-researched.

Separate yet close: Each screen is not confusing yet each screen is capable of showing tons of information separate from others with a natural smooth screen flow.

Community: An active community who is helpful and produces lots of things like skins, editors and scouts.

The simplicity is what makes this game so good - especially now with the tactics creator, you can literally be in your very first football match within 2 minutes of starting the game playing a style of football that looks close to how you designed it in the wizard. In 2 minutes you've looked at your squad and signed a couple of players whom you've always wanted to see in your team in real-life, playing a formation you've always wanted to see your team play in real-life.

What makes the FM series such a popular game? Yes it is the best football management game but it has that something extra that sets it apart from the rest even if it is superior in so many areas.

I remember playing CM2 and I think what drew me in was the database of players and the number of stats. Realistic stats that is! Also the use of real photos in the background made a huge difference. In other words it felt more "real" than other games.

The bolded part for me is what makes it the best/most popular. Also as x42bn6 said it gives me the option to make my team, Glasgow Rangers, play how i want and act how i want (e.g not becoming 30 mill in debt :( )

I think back in the days, and to a smaller extent even now, they key factor is that the most important stats, CA and PA, are hidden.

This creates a much more realistic feeling and atmosphere around simply everything. The players feel much more 'real' and you can field a team according to your gut feeling, not simply knowing that the CA 130 midfielder should always play ahead of the CA 125 one.

In the alternative players become too exchangeable. Their names don't matter, only their skill which is readible from just one central figure.

Besides this there are obviously many other good things which SI have done better than others in the past and in the present but this one is what in my view always separated CM from all others the most.

Archived