General questions on FM 2009

First of all, "hi" :) This is my first post so, please, be gentle.

I'm not totally new to the FM franchise, but only recently did I start to play it more seriously and, in doing so, I noticed that there are a few things about the game that I'd like some clarification.

1 - I have a Quad-core CPU, with 8GB of RAM, which sounds like good specs to push the game limits, so I risked starting a new game activating all leagues AND a Large database. I did NOT, however, selected to load all players from any nation... my question here is, given I'm using all leagues and a Large db, does that mean the "Load all players from..." is redundant? Or would it actually load even more players? The reason I ask is because I wanted to have everything maxed out but it seems tiresome to select "Load all players from..." every single nation. Assuming you could still load more players, it would be nice to have an easier method to select the nations you want to load players from (like checkboxes, or an "all" option, etc).

2 - I decided to start unemployed and go for a lower league team for the purpose of recreating a real life scenario (in the sense that a new, unknown, manager would never have a change at a top team). As I searched through the jobs section, I went with the south-african team, Vasco (RSA) because it looked particularly challenging. The team was basically filled with worthless teens, so I basically signed a new team (couldn't get any loans) at $0 cost... still, the wages are driving the team into (further) debt and the only thing that's keeping me even is the cash injections by the board. Still, I'd like to know if there's any way to improve finances other than selling players (which is a no-no since they are all worth $0 and I need them to win games. I'm currently in my first season, and reached the winter break, leading the league by 5 points but am unsure if promotion will be enough to improve my finances next season.

3 - I've noticed that teams who are expected to be better than me lose heavily against my team, but the few teams that are considered inferior get better results (probably because they don't underestimate me). My question here is, what would be a good way to counter a team focused on resisting you? I've tried a more defensive tactic but with little effect.

4 - Speaking of tactics, there seems to be two schools of thought... some saying you should start to make your team fit your idea of "the perfect tactic" early on, and others saying that the tactic must change in order to fit the players you have available. I've opted with the later on the grounds that in LLM you don't really have much choice, but I ended up with a 3-4-3 formation that uses Long balls, Quick tempo, low time wasting and reasonably high defense line (everything else is either middle or close). Tight marking and Counter-Attack are on. I score many goals, but I concede many as well. I've tried a basic 4-4-2 formation once (same sliders, though) and it only got worse... so, what would you suggest? Shouls I keep my 3-4-3 but optimize my sliders (in that case, how?) or should I try a different formation altogether? For the record, I'm a fan of 3-5-2, in real life, but the excess of Strikers available led me to the current formation, at least for this season and the next.

5 - One of the complaints made by my Assistant is that there's a big gap between Defense and Midfield, and that we're getting exploited there. I've tried lowering one of my MCs down to DMC (basically turning it into a 3-1-3-3) but the message never changed. What am I dong wrong?

6 - Occasionally, the Assistant complaints that some of the players aren't used to Close down as often (or as little) as requested. I know how to change Player Instructions but was wondering... should I really change those instructions, or wait a few games until the player gets used to it?

7 - Also, sometimes, I get the message that players are overconfident during warmup, or that some are relying on the good form of late... I'm assuming the only I can do here is use Team Talk to counter those effects, but what should I say? Demand a performance to lower the player's overconfidence? I only tried this a couple of times, and it didn't seem to help or hurt.

8 - Is there any in-game benefit by having your Scout check next opposition? I mean, the information regarding which formation they use and who's the key player seems pointless since I can get that information myself before each game, so is there really any point to it?

9 - Most of my players are senior citizens... all above 30. Ironically, two of my defenders who are 36 and 38 last 90 minutes with no problem (never below 75% and they play every game), but my ML/AML who's a bit younger gets down to 70% after about 60 minutes. I keep replacing him when that happens but he's one of my best players (he's actually one of the few Wanted by other clubs) but I was wondering if there's a way to make him less tired so he lasts the whole game... slower tempo, I think, but what else could I do?

10 - I know that, at the start of the season, your players become happy or annoyed depending on what prize money you allocate... however, after awhile, the message regarding their feelings disappears. My question is, in the long run, does prize money make any difference? Or is it just something that affects them in the short term?

Well, that's enough question for now... I don't expect to get all the answers I'm looking for but, if you can help in at least one, I'd be very grateful :)

Thanks in advance to all who offer helpful replies.

1 - I have a Quad-core CPU, with 8GB of RAM, which sounds like good specs to push the game limits, so I risked starting a new game activating all leagues AND a Large database. I did NOT, however, selected to load all players from any nation... my question here is, given I'm using all leagues and a Large db, does that mean the "Load all players from..." is redundant? Or would it actually load even more players? The reason I ask is because I wanted to have everything maxed out but it seems tiresome to select "Load all players from..." every single nation. Assuming you could still load more players, it would be nice to have an easier method to select the nations you want to load players from (like checkboxes, or an "all" option, etc).

Gills created a file to do this for you which improved the game IMO.

This is the thread from last year: Gills Ultimate Retain Players FM09

The link doesn't work now but I'm sure you can find a copy somewhere, maybe on one of the fansites.

2 - I decided to start unemployed and go for a lower league team for the purpose of recreating a real life scenario (in the sense that a new, unknown, manager would never have a change at a top team). As I searched through the jobs section, I went with the south-african team, Vasco (RSA) because it looked particularly challenging. The team was basically filled with worthless teens, so I basically signed a new team (couldn't get any loans) at $0 cost... still, the wages are driving the team into (further) debt and the only thing that's keeping me even is the cash injections by the board. Still, I'd like to know if there's any way to improve finances other than selling players (which is a no-no since they are all worth $0 and I need them to win games. I'm currently in my first season, and reached the winter break, leading the league by 5 points but am unsure if promotion will be enough to improve my finances next season.

Thats not really strange at lower levels, teams often survive on board investments.

No transfer budget, signing players on frees and releasing them at the end of their contracts is what you should expect. Any sales you make are a bonus.

3 - I've noticed that teams who are expected to be better than me lose heavily against my team, but the few teams that are considered inferior get better results (probably because they don't underestimate me). My question here is, what would be a good way to counter a team focused on resisting you? I've tried a more defensive tactic but with little effect.

I find start out patiently then go more attacking as the game progresses. Against a defensive side you need to stretch the defence, play wider, more through balls, quicker passing etc.

4 - Speaking of tactics, there seems to be two schools of thought... some saying you should start to make your team fit your idea of "the perfect tactic" early on, and others saying that the tactic must change in order to fit the players you have available. I've opted with the later on the grounds that in LLM you don't really have much choice, but I ended up with a 3-4-3 formation that uses Long balls, Quick tempo, low time wasting and reasonably high defense line (everything else is either middle or close). Tight marking and Counter-Attack are on. I score many goals, but I concede many as well. I've tried a basic 4-4-2 formation once (same sliders, though) and it only got worse... so, what would you suggest? Shouls I keep my 3-4-3 but optimize my sliders (in that case, how?) or should I try a different formation altogether? For the record, I'm a fan of 3-5-2, in real life, but the excess of Strikers available led me to the current formation, at least for this season and the next.

Visit the tactics forum and maybe read a few threads - Tactics Forum

Reading the TT&F guide would perhaps also help you to understand how to approach tactics - TT&F 09

5 - One of the complaints made by my Assistant is that there's a big gap between Defense and Midfield, and that we're getting exploited there. I've tried lowering one of my MCs down to DMC (basically turning it into a 3-1-3-3) but the message never changed. What am I dong wrong?

Its referring to the gap in mentality between your defenders & midfielders.

Either your defenders are too low or midfielders too high, reading TT&F will help you to understand mentality and how it works.

6 - Occasionally, the Assistant complaints that some of the players aren't used to Close down as often (or as little) as requested. I know how to change Player Instructions but was wondering... should I really change those instructions, or wait a few games until the player gets used to it?

The question is do you fit a tactic to a player or a player to a tactic.

Personally I tend to stick to the tactic and if the player doesn't like working that hard then tough. I've never had a problem & if a player doesn't perform I find a replacement.

7 - Also, sometimes, I get the message that players are overconfident during warmup, or that some are relying on the good form of late... I'm assuming the only I can do here is use Team Talk to counter those effects, but what should I say? Demand a performance to lower the player's overconfidence? I only tried this a couple of times, and it didn't seem to help or hurt.

Correct, doesn't always work but I would do the same.

Long term look for players who are more determined, professional etc they won't suffer as much with overconfidence.

8 - Is there any in-game benefit by having your Scout check next opposition? I mean, the information regarding which formation they use and who's the key player seems pointless since I can get that information myself before each game, so is there really any point to it?

They give other information as well, for instance:

Pitch - Long/short/wide/narrow different sizes affect play

Style of play to expect - Defensive/counter/attacking

9 - Most of my players are senior citizens... all above 30. Ironically, two of my defenders who are 36 and 38 last 90 minutes with no problem (never below 75% and they play every game), but my ML/AML who's a bit younger gets down to 70% after about 60 minutes. I keep replacing him when that happens but he's one of my best players (he's actually one of the few Wanted by other clubs) but I was wondering if there's a way to make him less tired so he lasts the whole game... slower tempo, I think, but what else could I do?

Wingers tend to cover more ground than other positions as do fullbacks so lose more condition.

Cut down on forward runs and/or run with ball perhaps but it will lessen your attacks.

10 - I know that, at the start of the season, your players become happy or annoyed depending on what prize money you allocate... however, after awhile, the message regarding their feelings disappears. My question is, in the long run, does prize money make any difference? Or is it just something that affects them in the short term?

Leads to a change in morale which lasts around six months.

A positive message can give your team a real boost and keep morale slightly artificially high for half a season likewise a negative one is a real pain.

The players affected have a message on their personnel page - something like "Is delighted at the prospect of a high league bonus"

Gills created a file to do this for you

So, this confirms that, despite choosing all leagues and a large db, you can still get more players with the "load all" section, right? That's what I was afraid of... thanks for the link, but I really wish future editions of FM improve this little details.

Visit the tactics forum and maybe read a few threads - Tactics Forum

Reading the TT&F guide would perhaps also help you to understand how to approach tactics - TT&F 09

That's... a lot to read! It will take me awhile, but thanks!

One more question: when selecting Player Instructions, do they replace Team Instructions, or they act simply as modifiers? Example, if I have an "All-Out Attack" team mentality, will that still affect my GK and DCs who are set to Defensive?

One more question: when selecting Player Instructions, do they replace Team Instructions, or they act simply as modifiers? Example, if I have an "All-Out Attack" team mentality, will that still affect my GK and DCs who are set to Defensive?

Player instructions override team instructions.

A lot of users seem to confuse mentality, reading TT&F will help you to understand it but as a little sample:

A DC set with a defensive mentality will back off a striker staying between him & the goal, spend less time with the ball making quick clearances for corners rather than turning and clearing up the field or trying to find a teammate etc

A DC set with a higher mentality will attack the ball in 50/50 situations, look to make tackles, clear the ball forwards, try to pass to teammates etc

Archived