Steam Error

I have this problem today for the first time as well. I'm unable to check for updates as I can't get in to Steam in the first place; regardless of whether I try and start the game or just Steam the same error msg comes up. Anyone found a solution to this? The solution proposed on the Steam forum does NOT work...

I guess this is more of a technical question and a Steam one actually, but since I 've had it happen to me too, I might as well answer this...

DISCLAIMER: the procedure below requires to mess with the steam client (delete a file). I'm pretty sure its safe and it has worked on my computer with no ill effects, but that was just about 2 hours ago, so it's not a totally safe bet... Proceed at YOUR OWN RISK!!

I guess the steam update broke something and the steam client (as a whole and not just fm) can't even start...

To fix this:

- Make sure that no instance of Steam is running or attempting to load, i.e. close all games (if any) based on Steam and check the Processes tab in Task Manager to make sure that there is no Steam.exe process. If there is, kill the process (right click -> End Process)

- Go to the folder where you have installed Steam (I think the default is C:\Program Files\Steam). There you will see (among others) a folder named 'steamapps' (without the quotes) and inside that a file named 'winui.gcf' (again without the quotes).

- Create a copy of that file (put in on your desktop or some other place you will remember), and then delete it from the 'steamapps' folder.

- Start the steam client. It should automatically recreate the 'winui.gcf' file and the client window should launch... Some updates may paused but that's normal... Un-pause them and let them finish... There might also be a message about a Steam client update that has been downloaded and that the Steam client needs to restart for it to be applied... Do as told...

- You are done... Check that everything works as expected (you might want to wait for a couple of days) and then you can delete (if you want) the backup copy of 'winui.gcf'.

Archived