Newly Promoted

How is it that some people are getting great results with newly promoted teams to the Premiership even when the teams they have got promoted aren't massive clubs? What do you do when you're promoted? Are you attacking or defensive? I see that most people are playing attacking, which I find astonishing as surely for a week side you'd look to shut up shop. I'm just asking as I'm getting p*ssed off with my team losing every single game now they're proomoted.:mad:

Mostly I think people cheat. That would wreck it for me.

My major tip is get your players as fit as they can be - hard fitness training means they will run games our better than your opposition. As soon as you can tell they are tired, take the training down a peg but make sure they keep their fitness. Focus solely on the FA Cup and the Premier League. I'd get a soild back 4 with an anchorman defensive midfielder - at least you will stop leaking goals. Play on the counter-attack away from home and I reckon you could get a handy away record of 5-5-9 or something similar and hopefully you can do enough at home even with an average squad

My experience is that morale is sky high after promotion. If you can win the first couple of games you are smooth sailing for at least a solid mid table finish. At least that's how it has been for me with each promotion. If I struggle in the first couple of games it will be a looooong season.

My experience is that morale is sky high after promotion. If you can win the first couple of games you are smooth sailing for at least a solid mid table finish. At least that's how it has been for me with each promotion. If I struggle in the first couple of games it will be a looooong season.

That seems true enough as morale is low at my club and they seem to be playing like idiots (no exaggeration)

Most people who achieve this spend a lot of time in the transfer market, picking up free transfers and getting rid of any players that aren't good enough for the next level.

Tactics are more than just "attacking or defensive", you need to be tweaking them game by game, studying the opposition and playing the right tactics for the situation. I suggest looking in the tactics forum for more advice.

Most people who achieve this spend a lot of time in the transfer market, picking up free transfers and getting rid of any players that aren't good enough for the next level.

Tactics are more than just "attacking or defensive", you need to be tweaking them game by game, studying the opposition and playing the right tactics for the situation. I suggest looking in the tactics forum for more advice.

Done all that. As I knew that my players weren't good enough. I bought some decent defenders and defensive midfielders will admit we're lacking a quality striker but then we're not making chances anyway :rolleyes: Looked at Cleon's sheffield united project - that didn't help. Looked at his starting tactics thread - that didn't help. Studied opposition, tweaked everything little by little but when the oppo are scoring 30 yarders when they can't break you down or your defenders are just inept (seen the ball just bounce off them too many times for my likening) then what can you do? It's not going down I'm worried about but I feel like i'm going to lose every single game in the league. I personally don't think it's possible unless you have an amazing indepth knowledge of the ME.

I wouldn't say you need "an amazing indepth knowledge of the ME", moreso a decent knowledge of how football works and some common sense. Now probably there are some people who do know huge amounts about the game and are able to take the same they were using in league 2 to premiership glory in their first season up, but for the more casual player there are some things to consider:

1) Be prepared to spend money. Even a team that won the Championship with ease is not really prepared for the Premiership, while one who finished 7th and won the playoff will need a total overhaul. £15-20m is a reasonable amount to spend - if you don't have this up front, use installments to increase your effective budget. The teams that were relegated last season might have some players worth investigating and they're often cheaper, plus frees and/or loans are definately worth investigating.

2) The tactics that won you the Championship are probably not going to work. You went from being the best team in the league to being one of the worst, so you're going to have to adapt. Be more defensive, cut down on the freedom etc.

3) Points are points, doesn't matter how you get them. A backs to the wall defensive job with one shot on target that nets you a 1-0 win is a great result. Even without the goal, a 0-0 is still points on the board. For your first season at least, damn the principles, get results however you can.

4) Value the right games. A 5-0 defeat to Chelsea is no problem, you shouldn't be expecting anything. A 0-0 draw at, say, Villa, is a very good result. A 2-0 defeat to Burnley though, is very bad.

And even then remember, most promoted sides go straight back down in real life. So it should be hard to stay up.

Try to be really defensive away from home and maximize on your set pieces.. a simple far post routine with your center backs standing on that post can net you some 10-15 goals/season.

It's harder going from championship to premiership than in any other leagues IMO, the gap in quality it's just really big and even with parking the bus the opposition players seem capable of pulling some yacky 30 yarder to screw you :p

I wouldn't say you need "an amazing indepth knowledge of the ME", moreso a decent knowledge of football and some common sense. Now probably there are some people who do know huge amounts about the game and are able to take the same they were using in league 2 to premiership glory in their first season up, but for the more casual player there are some things to consider:

1) Be prepared to spend money. Even a team that won the Championship with ease is not really prepared for the Premiership, while one who finished 7th and won the playoff will need a total overhaul. £15-20m is a reasonable amount to spend - if you don't have this up front, use installments to increase your effective budget. The teams that were relegated last season might have some players worth investigating and they're often cheaper, plus frees and/or loans are definately worth investigating.

2) The tactics that won you the Championship are probably not going to work. You went from being the best team in the league to being one of the worst, so you're going to have to adapt. Be more defensive, cut down on the freedom etc.

3) Value the right games. You only need enough points to stay above three other teams, and you've survived. A 5-0 defeat to Chelsea is no problem, you shouldn't be expecting anything. A 0-0 draw at, say, Villa, is a very good result. A 2-0 defeat to Burnley though, is very bad. Also, draws are decent results most of the time. If you're drawing, don't go taking silly risks to get a win.

And even then remember, most promoted sides go straight back down in real life. So it should be hard to stay up.

I don't expect to beat Chelsea or man United I just expect to be half decent. I just feel we won't win a match ever again.

There are many, many ways to get a newly promoted squad into a good final position. You don't have to cheat, and to prove it happens in real life, look at ipswich a few years back. Newly promoted, finished 5th (yes, 5th.!!!! ) - and got into the UEFA Cup. Sure, they got relegated the next season, but it goes to show it's possible. And, I think Newcastle will do something similar next season too. I predict a top 10 finish for them in the Prem.

ive just been promoted with cardiff city and a new consortium gave me £36milion transfer budget and i blew most of it and sitting in 13th place. played 5 and gained 6 points lol. If i get relegated it could become costly financially.

I wouldn't worry about the finances if you get relegated, you'll probably be sacked anyway!

I wouldn't worry about the finances if you get relegated, you'll probably be sacked anyway!

I'm heading that way. Oh well, think I'll start another save with a team like Real Madrid. Only way to get any enjoyment in this game and win with "Super" tactics that basically are only good for team with ratings that are high anyway. :rolleyes:

I just survived my first Prem season with York City (2017/18) - my strategy was to hang on to all the good performers from the Championship (no matter how bad their stars/attributes are) and try to strengthen the weakest positions. My defence was the weakest position by far, so I forked out for two defenders, £7.5m each which has really helped. I also secured the permanent signing of a right winger I had last season on loan, for £1.8m. That was my entire budget.

I always kept tactics simple - only using the "basic" system, and no OIs. Matches I expect to lose I set to "Contain", or "Counter" depending on how much worse I am. If I'm at home to another team fighting relegation, I attack. That way I beat Bristol C, Peterborough (twice) and Leeds. This method means that although you'll lose most games, in a few games you may snatch victory from a tight contest. I got lucky against Spurs and Newcastle this way, and managed to get a draw with Chelsea at the Lampard Arena.

My top scorer was actually my fifth choice striker with a whopping 6 goals. Three other players had 5 goals each. Some key goals were scored by a couple of strikers with great pace, counter-attacking. So I wasn't scoring a lot at all, and I think those new defenders and my immense 'keeper (who eventually made Team of the Season) made the difference between relegation and survival. I finished 14th.

My advice is to keep it simple, defend matches and try to get lucky late goals on the counter (they'll counter-attack even if you're not set to "Counter"). Tighten the defence since you need this to counter the far better attacking forces you'll meet in the top flight. Finally, stick it out. Dropping points at the top is a disaster. Dropping points at the bottom is expected. I lost 5 in a row at one point. A good, possibly flukey run of wins and draws will push you far up the table and give you a buffer for your next string of defeats.

Hope this helps.

I just survived my first Prem season with York City (2017/18) - my strategy was to hang on to all the good performers from the Championship (no matter how bad their stars/attributes are) and try to strengthen the weakest positions. My defence was the weakest position by far, so I forked out for two defenders, £7.5m each which has really helped. I also secured the permanent signing of a right winger I had last season on loan, for £1.8m. That was my entire budget.

I always kept tactics simple - only using the "basic" system, and no OIs. Matches I expect to lose I set to "Contain", or "Counter" depending on how much worse I am. If I'm at home to another team fighting relegation, I attack. That way I beat Bristol C, Peterborough (twice) and Leeds. This method means that although you'll lose most games, in a few games you may snatch victory from a tight contest. I got lucky against Spurs and Newcastle this way, and managed to get a draw with Chelsea at the Lampard Arena.

My top scorer was actually my fifth choice striker with a whopping 6 goals. Three other players had 5 goals each. Some key goals were scored by a couple of strikers with great pace, counter-attacking. So I wasn't scoring a lot at all, and I think those new defenders and my immense 'keeper (who eventually made Team of the Season) made the difference between relegation and survival. I finished 14th.

My advice is to keep it simple, defend matches and try to get lucky late goals on the counter (they'll counter-attack even if you're not set to "Counter"). Tighten the defence since you need this to counter the far better attacking forces you'll meet in the top flight. Finally, stick it out. Dropping points at the top is a disaster. Dropping points at the bottom is expected. I lost 5 in a row at one point. A good, possibly flukey run of wins and draws will push you far up the table and give you a buffer for your next string of defeats.

Hope this helps.

Probably the best advice I've seen. Thanks a lot. I'll keep going using your ideas! Nice one! :thup:

my suggestion is dont worry too much and just keep playing eventually it get easy season by season, im doing ipswich town atm took me 3 season to promoted them then got relagated took me anthor 2 season to get back into the premier league with some hardcore time in transfer market with 15m to spend I bought 5 high rating young players all with stupidly high stats all from praising managers and releasing comments about admiring player etc... where you can build on a good relationship with clubs and players this is key point!

tactic wise i think most people already have said what i said, checking oppostion tactic, advice room etc...switch tactic game by game and play 4-1-4-1 with anchorman in defensive mid. just take it slowly like someone said in real life when you get promoted your most likely going back down.

Im currently top of the table with ipswich lol somehow....but racking up the points

As has been said. Stregthen your squad in key positions. I got Boston Utd to the Premier League and finished 7th in first season bringing in a couple of key players for that season. It can be hard work but it needn't be. Now I could have had an easier time of it what with having to struggle in the lower leagues and so had an idea of what I needed to do going from the Championship to the Premier League. All my struggles seem to have paid off as we haven't finished lower than 2nd since.

Got promoted with Palace and only brought in a MC.

Basicaly tbh alot has been said here, regarding morale and form.

But at the same time I was playing a 4-3-3 system that worked to the strengths of my team, usually had 9 men behind the ball at all times aswell.

I built my team on strength, jumping determination and heading though knowing that if I get those right then the PL will be less of an impossible challenge, so realistically I was playing 3 defensive minded midfielders a defensive minded target man and two fast poachers either side.

So even though my team lacked PL quality I simply payed to my strengths, managed to come 11th, then 8th next season after a brief stint challenging for 3rd then doing a Villa (qualifying for the EUROPA cup via FA cup final) now I'm challenging for the title I would say even though maybe I would finish around 4th.

But yeah after promotion grab those free signings and any bargains and make sure you remember your form players, because I have players who stat wise are crap but always perform.

Thats it...

Try to simplify the situation, you only have to beat 3 other teams. Can I ask what year your in and who your managing? As noted above it doesn't matter if you get battered every week, the teams around you are going to aswell, you just have to stay ahead of them. From my experiences with Norwich away points kept me up, as it was miles better than those other teams at the bottom. And by this I dont mean winning every game but making some draws and picking up a win every now and again.

I used a simple counter-attacking 4-4-2 with a ball winning midfielder and playmaker in midfield. Use the playmaker as a tool to counter attack and if you go ahead bring the ball-winning midfielder back to DM (my ball winning MF was actually a DM.) From this I gained some valuable draws and believe me these are valuable away from home.

Two other teams got promoted with you so you know you can beat them right?

Stick at it mate and dont worry about losing plenty of games as other teams will be doing exactly the same.

Try to simplify the situation, you only have to beat 3 other teams. Can I ask what year your in and who your managing? As noted above it doesn't matter if you get battered every week, the teams around you are going to aswell, you just have to stay ahead of them. From my experiences with Norwich away points kept me up, as it was miles better than those other teams at the bottom. And by this I dont mean winning every game but making some draws and picking up a win every now and again.

I used a simple counter-attacking 4-4-2 with a ball winning midfielder and playmaker in midfield. Use the playmaker as a tool to counter attack and if you go ahead bring the ball-winning midfielder back to DM (my ball winning MF was actually a DM.) From this I gained some valuable draws and believe me these are valuable away from home.

Two other teams got promoted with you so you know you can beat them right?

Stick at it mate and dont worry about losing plenty of games as other teams will be doing exactly the same.

I'm QPR and in my second season I got promoted in my 1st season. I might get the sack as I foolishly said that we'd finish mid table to gain more money. Thanks for the advice as I was looking for answers from people that were playing with inferior teams and proved they could do it. :thup:

I got 2 promotions in a row with Colchester and then finished 12th in the Prem before leaving to manage Man United. Basically I just attacked at home and then played defensive counter-attacking football away from home. Only real result I got again one of the big teams was a 2-1 win at home to Liverpool towards the end of the season. I was mainly just beating the teams around me and the fact that the team in 18th finish on 23 points really helped me. Was also given £20mill to spend so I brought in 2 strikers (Steven Fletcher and some Italian guy) for a combined total of £10mill, a CM (£3mill), a keeper (700k) and a CB (£4mill). Had Jackson in the middle and Elito and Yeates on the wings who were all easily already good enough for the Premiership. My defence was pretty poor though, let in 62 goals in 38 games lol.

Archived