Can a player play in Europa League and Champions League?

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if a player who has played in Europa League, can then be registered to play in Champions League too? I ask because I'm looking to buy Luis Suarez from Ajax in the January transfer window but he's already played in Europa League for them. As you can guess, I'm hesitant to part with the cash if he won't be eligible for Champions League.

Hope you can help.

Trig

I think you misunderstand mate, I asking if a player can play for 2 different teams in 2 different european competitions.

If I understand you right he can only play for his new club in a european competition if he hasn't already played for his old club in that competition. For example if he's been registered for the champions league qualifiers for team a and they dont make it through the league stage and get put into the europa league and played in any of the games in either competition then he cant play for team b because he would have already taken part in both competitions in the same season. Thats how I understand it but I might be wrong.

I hope you understand what I've typed because I am trying to type and watch the Barcelona v Inter game on the telly and I dont think my brain can handle two tasks at once ;).

If I understand you right he can only play for his new club in a european competition if he hasn't already played for his old club in that competition. For example if he's been registered for the champions league qualifiers for team a and they dont make it through the league stage and get put into the europa league and played in any of the games in either competition then he cant play for team b because he would have already taken part in both competitions in the same season. Thats how I understand it but I might be wrong.

I hope you understand what I've typed because I am trying to type and watch the Barcelona v Inter game on the telly and I dont think my brain can handle two tasks at once ;).

In my Newcastle (Europa League) save I bid on a RM/RW/RB (Srna) from Shakhtar (Champions League). Got him in the January transfer window....he was not allowed to be registered for the second part (after the group stage) of the Europa League. Now it could have been because Shakhtar was knocked out of the Champions League but qualified for the Europa League (even though Srna never played in the Europa League). Side note...it didn't matter we played Shakhtar in the semi's and pulled it out on away goals...the Finals were a cake walk vs Genoa...something like 4 or 5 to 1.

I dont think in real life a player can play in a european competition for 2 different teams in one season, regardless if it is Champ Leage for one and Europa League for another for example. Isn't this the case for Maxi Rodriguez at Liverpool? As he played in the Champ League group stages for Atletico Madrid he is now cup tied for Liverpools Europa League games?

So going back to the OP question, no, the player will not be eligible to play.

I dont think in real life a player can play in a european competition for 2 different teams in one season, regardless if it is Champ Leage for one and Europa League for another for example. Isn't this the case for Maxi Rodriguez at Liverpool? As he played in the Champ League group stages for Atletico Madrid he is now cup tied for Liverpools Europa League games?

Cheers for clearing it up mate. I think you're right but alas I've already signed the player as I decided I wanted him anyway. I'm only one week into the January transfer window so I'm sure I'll find out that this player will be ineligible when it comes to registering players for the second stage of Champions League.

Thanks again.

Maxi Rodriguez wasnt eligible because Atletico were also playing in the Europa League (3rd place in CL group behind Chelsea and Porto).

Pedro Mendes played in the CL for Rangers but since Rangers were 4th in their group (out of all european competitions) he was eligible to play in the Europa League for Sporting in February. (transfered in January)

Atlético dropped into the Europa League too btw - even playing Liverpool in the semi tonight.

You can register one player who has played in another competition as laid out thusly:

One player from the above quota of three who has played UEFA club

competition matches for another competing club in the current season may

exceptionally be registered provided that the player has not been fielded:

- in the same competition for another club,

- for another club that is currently in the same competition.

Furthermore, if the player’s new club is playing in the UEFA Europa League,

his former club must not have played in the UEFA Europa League at any

point in the current season.

This was culled form the UEFA Europa League rules here.

Basically what it says one player can be registered during the January registration period if he has played previously for a club playing in a different UEFA competition, as long as his previous club are not now in the same competition, or have been previously. AFAIK it is the same in game.

You can register one player who has played in another competition as laid out thusly:

Basically what it says one player can be registered during the January registration period if he has played previously for a club playing in a different UEFA competition, as long as his previous club are not now in the same competition, or have been previously. AFAIK it is the same in game.

If only it were. I don't know if this tangle of rules is too difficult to code or whether si have dropped the ball but it doesn't work like this in game. :(

I don't think it is the same in game. I think all players are ineligible, though I haven't checked recently.

Good example to back you up- last season, Real Madrid signed Diarra and Huntelaar in January, but could only use one in the CL as both had played in the Europa League.

I don't think it is the same in game. I think all players are ineligible, though I haven't checked recently.

Good example to back you up- last season, Real Madrid signed Diarra and Huntelaar in January, but could only use one in the CL as both had played in the Europa League.

Didn't know it wasn't in game, frankly I thought it was. But then the last time I signed a player from another team competing in Europe mid season it was FM2005.

The player I've bought is Luis Suarez from Ajax. Just double checked Ajax's fixtures and they've only played in Europa League this season. I've only played in the Champions League. I'll post back on here when I've reached the next registration phase and let you all know if he is eligible or not.

The player I've bought is Luis Suarez from Ajax. Just double checked Ajax's fixtures and they've only played in Europa League this season. I've only played in the Champions League. I'll post back on here when I've reached the next registration phase and let you all know if he is eligible or not.

Please let us know, because if it does then mine is clearly bugged. I signed Dzagoev from CSKA, he had played 5 mins in a europa league qualifier and was ineligible for my entire CL campaign. CSKA had not been involved in the CL at all that season and had no way of being involved. Hence my earlier post that said I didn't think they'd coded it.

Please let us know, because if it does then mine is clearly bugged. I signed Dzagoev from CSKA, he had played 5 mins in a europa league qualifier and was ineligible for my entire CL campaign. CSKA had not been involved in the CL at all that season and had no way of being involved. Hence my earlier post that said I didn't think they'd coded it.

Here's my update as promised and apologies for taking so long. Unfortunately my January purchase of Luis Suarez is ineligible for my team in the Champions League because he's already played for Ajax in the qualification and group strages of the Europa League. Bit disappointing but I'll survive.

Archived