Simple Tips for the novice player?

Hi guys,

I've not played a FM game since about 2008 and... well to put it frankly... I suck.

Just looking for some small tips and pieces of advice I can start to put into practice immediately.

Not looking for huge essays here. Just specific bits and bobs I can use here and there.

Who you playing with first?

I'd say get your team talks down pat. There is a big thread on that somewhere.

I never assign opposition instructions and am successful enough.

Get training right - put some time in and generate some specific ones.

Play players in position.

Give youth game time when you can.

Manage your injury prone players.

It depends a lot on the level you're playing.

As Vangelis said: scout, scout and scout some more.

Tactics wise, the lesson that took me from sucky to competent was this:

The secret of good defence is possession. When you're winning, one minute of your possession in their half is worth three of theirs in yours.

If you're playing with 10.3 don't sign too many players at once (ie 10+ in total or maybe 5+ first teamers) and expect to win straight away. It might happen, but more likely you'll have 2-3 months of sloppy defending and disjointed attacks before the team gels and starts winning.

Look for physical and mental stats before technical imo, that full-back may be great at dribbling and crossing, but if he got a low work-rate and stamina he won't be as useful.

Don't rush things, take your time during the pre-season to sort staff and friendlies having a good pre-season to have your entire squad fit it's essential for a good start.

Try to only sign players of matching personality to keep the squad harmony high.

A very good option for team-talks is just to give none pre-game (ie really none, not leaving it to the assman) and and during half-time. Only use others when they are obvious choices.

Tactically use the tactics wizard and make sure that you are assigning balanced duties, i.e. not all attackers on attack and all defenders on defend. Mix them and your teams will play much more as a unit.

When determining player roles make use of the screen which shows you which attributes are important for each role. This way you can tailor them to the players you have. But also here, keep a good mix.

Get an assman with good tactical knowledge (that's different from tactics training!) and let him do the opposition instructions. Update them via the same way in half-time. Also go for one with good scouting ability so that you can trust his advice on a player on the offer contract screen.

Make sure you understand what the attributes do. Some novices fail to understand for instance how important something unspectacular-sounding like concentration is for a DC or how important composure is for a striker.

Take your time to make good corner settings. they will help to to the odd goal, turing a few draws into wins.

Let your experienced players tutor promising youngsters. Choose tutors by their personailty. Professional, Spirited, Leader and Driven make for good tutors.

When signing players you plan to play take the opportunity to make them your friends right away by praising them over the top in the initial press conference.

Consider signing players with the fee paid in 48 months instalments only. This way you can spend 4 times the amount of your transfer budget in one year. But don't do this every year as otherwise the running instalments will wreck your finances.

Older players will demand less when you offer them a new contract only within their last 3 months of their contracts.

Archived