Why is FM so slow? - Can anything be done about it?

The last few years I have been playing FM on a mac as my old PC couldn’t handle it. However I have recently got a top spec PC and I have been disappointed with performance of FM.

I have a i7 930, an ati radeon 5850 and 6gb low latency RAM and it is running other things great.

Firstly – simple things like clicking on go on holiday – it take nearly 10 seconds before the holiday options screen pops up – that is insanely slow , can anyone explain why? What calculations are taking place BEFORE you even get to the holiday options screen?

I have also been generally underwhelmed with the speed of calculating things between matches – thats why was using holiday mode. I may be being over picky but i was just expecting things to run a lot faster than on a 3-4 yr old mac.

i have been testing fm out with between 6 an 9 playable leagues and a custom database loading between 20-30 000 players. I did test the issue with holiday mode using just the EPL playable and a small database and it still took ~10 sec.

Is there anything i could do to optimise the speed? I am playing in windowed mode – i presume that this shouldn’t be making things worse?

The last few years I have been playing FM on a mac as my old PC couldn’t handle it. However I have recently got a top spec PC and I have been disappointed with performance of FM.

I have a i7 930, an ati radeon 5850 and 6gb low latency RAM and it is running other things great.

Firstly – simple things like clicking on go on holiday – it take nearly 10 seconds before the holiday options screen pops up – that is insanely slow , can anyone explain why? What calculations are taking place BEFORE you even get to the holiday options screen?

I have also been generally underwhelmed with the speed of calculating things between matches – thats why was using holiday mode. I may be being over picky but i was just expecting things to run a lot faster than on a 3-4 yr old mac.

i have been testing fm out with between 6 an 9 playable leagues and a custom database loading between 20-30 000 players. I did test the issue with holiday mode using just the EPL playable and a small database and it still took ~10 sec.

Is there anything i could do to optimise the speed? I am playing in windowed mode – i presume that this shouldn’t be making things worse?

I'm only using a Q8200 with ATI HD4850 and 4GB DDR2, and it runs much faster than you're suggesting, even with 30 odd leagues and maximum detail...

Looks like the issue is your computer and not FM.

Make sure your computer is utilizing all your RAM and your CPU is running correctly, dunno how exactly this is done but I'm sure someone here can direct you to some applications which can test all the nerdy shiat.

My old computer had like 500mb ram and took ages to play FM09. Took like 30 mins for a match and 30 mins to holiday inbetween matches. Just got a new laptop with 4gb of ram and everything just loads instantly on FM09 now. Matches take about 5 minutes and in a week i've already got through 2 seasons :)

Google Mz Ram Booster and Game Booster. Run Ram Booster before you start up, should be ok closing it when you're done. Run game booster, and keep it running in your tray when you're playing FM. See if this does anything.

It'll definitely be something you have accidentally tweaked somewhere along the lines. My old dual core 1.8ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM at 800mhz could load 30,000 players fine and get it running smoothly.

A 930 has 8 threads, so should obliterate FM, one problem coming to FM compared to less RAM/processor demanding games is the quality of your HDD and your motherboard. A motherboard especially can restrict your performance, but even then it should still be fairly quick.

Ideally your computer should be defragged every couple of weeks, so if its more than 2 weeks old it is a viable solution. When you say 'other things' are running fine you need to clarify. If its say a game like WoW of course it will run fine, because a 5850 would eat that for breakfast.

Other issues could be if you've tried to overclock your PC, and it could also be down to cooling. I'm taking cooling for my new pc as a major issue with summer coming up, does your RAM have built in heatsinks? Also depends on what cooling you're using for your processor too, an i7 will kick out some serious heat, and case cooling can be a big issue too.

After last summer when my pc frequently became unusable due to overheating in the summer, I've already earmarked a case for my new one in the next week or so with space for 5/6 case fans, to get a good in-out system in place to really keep ontop of temperatures. It may be something to look into.

Water cooling FTW. Looking at a water cooling system eBuyer, highly tempted to make a purchase and see what it can do :)

I'm going with the h50 water cooling for my processor, it saves having to get all the pipes done yourself and is a good place as any to start until you're confident enough to try your own hand-built set-up.

Currently I'm not confident enough to risk a computer with components over a grand inside with a water system I set up myself lol.

I'm going with the h50 water cooling for my processor, it saves having to get all the pipes done yourself and is a good place as any to start until you're confident enough to try your own hand-built set-up.

Currently I'm not confident enough to risk a computer with components over a grand inside with a water system I set up myself lol.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130719

That's the one I'm looking at. A friend of mine has it and it's worth it apparently.

I won't be putting it straight into my main system. I'll test it on an old one for a while, making sure the system constantly overheats etc and see what happens. If any pipe's burst or the system receives water damage, I'll buy a replacement pipe and bang it straight on eBay.

Archived