Cash Strapped

I know this may have been brought up in the past, but I cant seem to find anything through searching.

Basically i'm Ebbsfleet United, in League One after 3 seasons. Pre-season my finances go to around +£400,000, and then at the end of the season, they seem to finish at around -£250,000 up to -£500,000. I fill up the stadium to within about 100 every game, thats about 4000 people.

I havent paid a fee for a single player in 3 years, all pre contract or loan. There must be a way to reduce these outgoings, enabling me to build the squad stronger?

Please help, I always find myself in this type of scenario when I take on a non-league club.

Thank you very much!

I know this may have been brought up in the past, but I cant seem to find anything through searching.

Basically i'm Ebbsfleet United, in League One after 3 seasons. Pre-season my finances go to around +£400,000, and then at the end of the season, they seem to finish at around -£250,000 up to -£500,000. I fill up the stadium to within about 100 every game, thats about 4000 people.

I havent paid a fee for a single player in 3 years, all pre contract or loan. There must be a way to reduce these outgoings, enabling me to build the squad stronger?

Please help, I always find myself in this type of scenario when I take on a non-league club.

Thank you very much!

Not knowing your finances, I would say maybe your wages are keeping you down. Are you over or under your wage budget.

Most clubs run with a deficit if you are on your wage budget.

Last season for Bath City (newly promoted to BSP and around 1000 attendance for home games), I managed to keep my wages £1000 below budget, and that generated a nice profit.

This my second season in BSP, I have gathered up a lot of young potential stars and my squad is so big that I am around my wage budget now. So I think this season will end with a deficit.

I spent some of the season around 2.1k in the minus, but the last 3 months or so I sold and released players, making my wage budget around +3k, but my finances still seem to be decreasing. If I look at the finance graph for the year, it starts at £400,000, and then looks like mount everest right the way down to -£350,000 across the whole season

What i did with my braintree team was get some players better know in my league and sell the, and just push for promotion, i didn't start making money until i was in the professional league, try and keep the wages down, and getting a good cup run is always good, getting a replay against a l2 team is a good money maker. I was stuck with a 4k seater until my second season in the championship.

In the leagues low as that one, you need to keep your wages around 50-60% of total allowed, and to try resigning players with high bonuses(to lower ones) in order to stay in positive.

Keep bonuses to minimal amounts, since they are usually highest drain for finances.

With that,even in worst case scenario,you will maybe still lose some money from month to month , but that your total season money should be in positive in the end.

Money always goes down through the season, but at the end it will jump up again through prize money, season tickets, etc.

I wouldn't worry about money for spending on players, you are better off getting free transfers to get you up to League 2 or even League 1.

And the bottom line for making money = success. Get promoted, have a decent cup run, etc. You will never earn much money staying in that division.

How did you manage that luton? Would have something to do with the fact you have a bigger stadium, but thats a lot of money.

I'd settle with finishing a season in the posotive for once!

More than likely the stadium capacity. I recieve a huge amount in season tickets & gate receipts.

This isn't that strange I don't think, as long as you're are eventually back in the black then it is fine. It is when you're consistently losing money when theres a problem.

It is like paying for everything during the month and going into your overdraft, but your wages clear it at the end of the month. A lot of your money will come right at the start of each season by selling players and season tickets.

It isn't ideal but it'll do for now. a good cup run will sort you out.

Archived