How well has FM been optimised for high end (multi core) computers?

yes it should. I saw a screenshot of someone running an i7 970 or whatever with doublethreading. FM reads it as 8 cores. So yes it can handle it well.

This is indeed good news! But can FM run on the newest 6 core desktop processor from Intel which has been released last month on March 2010? Does it recognize all the cores? Did anyone buy this processor (I know it is overkill! :D) just to play on Football Manager 2010?

By the way, the 8 cores FM reads should be 8 threads. :) There is no eight core processor being released on the market yet! :D

Not true - a thread and a core are entirely different things; hyperthreading is rather misleading in that sense. You can create hundreds of threads with even a single-core processor, but this is vastly inferior to hundreds of cores for various reasons.

yes it should. I saw a screenshot of someone running an i7 970 or whatever with doublethreading. FM reads it as 8 cores. So yes it can handle it well.

The question is, can FM recognize 12 threads (6 cores)? That is the Intel Core i7-980X processor Extreme Edition. I am intending to buy this if the game can recognize ALL the 12 threads! :D

There is no eight core processor being released on the market yet! :D

What about the -

Vega 1 - Released in 2005 and has 24 cores. Vega 2, released in 2006 and has 48 cores...Vega 3 released in 2008 and has 54 cores...

The IBM Power 7, released this year; has a 4, 6 and 8 core processor...

Intellasys have released a 40 core processor, Intel are developing an 80 core.

There's there TILE-Gx which has 100 cores on 64-bit...

So yes, there's clearly no 8 core processors ;)

What about the -

Vega 1 - Released in 2005 and has 24 cores. Vega 2, released in 2006 and has 48 cores...Vega 3 released in 2008 and has 54 cores...

The IBM Power 7, released this year; has a 4, 6 and 8 core processor...

Intellasys have released a 40 core processor, Intel are developing an 80 core.

There's there TILE-Gx which has 100 cores on 64-bit...

So yes, there's clearly no 8 core processors ;)

Well, mate, I meant PC processors to play Football Manager! :D

Well, mate, I meant PC processors to play Football Manager! :D

They're PC processors....some of them are probably server ones as well though. And this doesn't change the fact that there is eight core processors on the market.... And "to play Football Manager"....sorry to tell you but processors aren't designed specifically to play FM

They're PC processors....some of them are probably server ones as well though. And this doesn't change the fact that there is eight core processors on the market.... And "to play Football Manager"....sorry to tell you but processors are designed specifically to play FM

OK, to be more specific, I meant Intel processors! :D

OK, I mean Intel desktop processors! The highest is now a 6 core (12 threads) processor! Can FM recognize this? :D

Hard to say, it probably can, but I doubt the game is optimized for it.

and tell me you are not thinking of buying one? The Intel hex core is going to cost booku money.

I want to get the amd hex if it ever gets under 200, or if I get the money and get sick of 4 core.

I was wondering if solid state drives would hold any advantage over standard HDDs when running FM?

Simple answer is yes. Obviously the loading and saving of games will improve drastically, but the game should also run quicker as it uses virtual memory which it accesses on the hard drive. As an SSD is far faster at reading and writing, accessing the vram will be much improved. I've no idea just how much quicker it will make the game, but it should.

Hard to say, it probably can, but I doubt the game is optimized for it.

and tell me you are not thinking of buying one? The Intel hex core is going to cost booku money.

I want to get the amd hex if it ever gets under 200, or if I get the money and get sick of 4 core.

Yes I am thinking of buying one once I get the money! :)

The game should also run quicker as it uses virtual memory which it accesses on the hard drive. As an SSD is far faster at reading and writing, accessing the vram will be much improved. I've no idea just how much quicker it will make the game, but it should.

Thats what i thought, i know there isnt much noticeable difference using an SSD with 3D games, but seeing as FM is data intensive I would have thought there would be a bigger advantage. But like you say, how much more I dont know, but certainly not enough to justify current prices im sure!

I've always heard SSD are designed for laptop use

Ive read a few articles on them that say upgrading to an SSD on a laptop can have as much of a noticeable performance boost as a good processor upgrade!

Yes I am thinking of buying one once I get the money! :)

I looked at them on Newegg today.

You can get the AMD hex core 2.8ghz for $210 USD or the black edition at 3.2 ghz for $310.

I also saw the top of the line Intel hex core at like 3 ghz is $1,100 USD.

$1,000!!!! Outside of small businesses, I don't understand how a consumer could afford to put one into their desktop.

• 1 month later...
The question is, can FM recognize 12 threads (6 cores)? That is the Intel Core i7-980X processor Extreme Edition. I am intending to buy this if the game can recognize ALL the 12 threads! :D

I'm sure you must be mad if you'd spend £800+ on a CPU for FM. That, or you wipe your arse with £50's...

Anyone get the AMD X6 processor? Was wondering how it deals with FM compared to an Intel i5 750 for example?

from what I read on tomshardware, it can get to about 3.9 ghz on some new technology that auto overclocks from unused cores.

But otherwise any x4 is very similar.

You'd have to look at overclocker forums and see what the rich bastards are doing with the 6 cores, and if it's any better than x4.

The i5 750 can quite happily be run at around the 4GHz mark as well, and if I remember rightly Miles said that FM is optimised to work on Intel hardware, therefore giving an advantage to the i5?

I'm sure you must be mad if you'd spend £800+ on a CPU for FM. That, or you wipe your arse with £50's...

Well, not mad mate but I just want to play with ALL the 117 leagues that comes with the game as well as other edited leagues very very fast! :D

The answer is not that well.

I've been testing various setup's on a 980x for the last week and all 12 cores are only really used when processing full detail matches.

During normal day to day processing FM appears to mainly use three or four cores.

My current setup that seems to run pretty quick (less than 15 seconds each continue) is all leagues, default detail level and a large database with all current international players retained.

I've been testing various setup's on a 980x for the last week and all 12 cores are only really used when processing full detail matches.

During normal day to day processing FM appears to mainly use three or four cores.

My current setup that seems to run pretty quick (less than 15 seconds each continue) is all leagues, default detail level and a large database with all current international players retained.

Thanks for that, just what I wanted to know.

Im thinking I would be better off going for the i5 750 over the X6 1055t. I think you may have just cost me about £500 :D

Anyone heard anything about whether FM11 will be able to make use of more cores, or are they simply not neccessary?

This. On day to day processing on Core 2 duo it sits at 50% cpu usage for me (win7 64), i.e. using only one core. And 15 seconds is a lot of time :(

So the bottom line is - no, it is not fully optimized. I dream of the day it is and uses all cores, then I'd be able to play it just fine with all the players loaded.

I'm glad somebody finally confirmed my issue, because I thought it is a bug or something - for such a cpu intense game it is crazy not to multithread the number crunching.

"beautifully" is different for different people. I haven't played for quite some time and don't remember the specifics, but by huge database I mean loading the players from all countries with an EDT file. Can you please do the following - go on holiday (best during the spring break, so there will be less matches, which are optimized and will spike the graph) and post a screenshot of your cpu graph (the in-game one will do).

It's not optimised brilliantly to be fair, as having the 'threading' option ticked seems to make little to no different in game speed compared to when it is unticked.

That's running a 955 BE (4 core @ 3.2ghz each). So they have some work to do in that regard yet.

When you interview developers you'll find that there aren't many games out there that do a great job at dealing with multi-cored processors.

Archived