What processor do you think...

What processor do you think is better for running Football Manager. An i5 or a Quad Core? And which is the better of the two.

But can the game recognize 6 cores? I am intending to buy the latest Intel Core i7-980X processor Extreme Edition so that I can run ALL 51 nations plus load up ALL the leagues in the game at Full detail on a large database! :D Perhaps I will also add in new leagues for good measure as well! :)

What do you reckon to this system for FM?

• Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

• Intel® Core™ i5 processor 750

• 6 GB DDR3

• 1 TB SATA 3G Hard Disk Drive (7200 rpm)

• NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 220 with PureVideo® HD technology

• DVD writer SATA DVD RAM and Double Layer supporting LightScribe technology

• Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n

Also I'm sure the I5 computer will be able to handle Mass Effect 2 and Metro and Splinter Cell, surely?

Compare that desktop with this one:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)

Memory6144MB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048 + 2x1024] Memory

ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 1GB DDR3 graphics

But can the game recognize 6 cores? I am intending to buy the latest Intel Core i7-980X processor Extreme Edition so that I can run ALL 51 nations plus load up ALL the leagues in the game at Full detail on a large database! :D Perhaps I will also add in new leagues for good measure as well! :)

The i7 might be capable of running all leagues but having tried with my o/c i7 I've come to the conclusion that the FM software can no longer cope with an all league game, this is quite annoying as my old Kentfield cpu & FM07/08 managed this just fine.

The i7 might be capable of running all leagues but having tried with my o/c i7 I've come to the conclusion that the FM software can no longer cope with an all league game, this is quite annoying as my old Kentfield cpu & FM07/08 managed this just fine.

But FM 2010 contains the same number of leagues as FM 2007 or 2008, isn't it?

a little off topic i can onily run four leauges on my laptop would i need more ram to be able to run more because i onily have 1gb at the moment.

It would seem that a RAM upgrade may be needed. Both Ram and the processers effect the speed of FM - what type of processer do you have?

Well I'm running an i7 920 overclocked to 4gig and it's running the game with 'as near as damn it' all leagues running, large data base and full detail on all of the leagues. The game runs great and I hardly have to wait at all. Generally 2 or 3 seconds is the longest I have to wait. A big, mid/end of season process, may take up to 10 seconds but that's about as long as it ever gets.

Whilst the 980X is a fantastic processor and will be quicker in this game than a stock quad core, it would be rather a waste of money (£830). These chips are designed for the serious nutters who like to run sub zero cooling and compete against each other for the highest overclocks. They aren't designed to be run at stock, which is why they have unlocked multipliers so that you can push it till it canny take no more. I'm not saying don't get one, I'd absolutely love one, but they really don't justify the cost.

It would make far more financial sense to buy an i7 930 (£230), a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (£155), 6gig of PC12800 Ram (£190) + 128gig SSD (around £275).

This lot would cost £20 more than the 980X and allow you to overclock the nads off it. You would need improved cooling on it, as the reference Intel fan is pants. Something like the Titan Fenrir (£30) or the Corsair H50-1 (£60) would be ideal. The latter is a self contained water cooling unit and it will keep the CPU cooler.

Whichever route you do go down, make sure you get a bloody good PSU. There is no point in building either system if the PSU isn't up to the job. I'd recommend the Enermax Revolution85+ 850W (£180). Yes £180 is a lot to spend on a PSU but they are worth every penny. Most people think that any old power supply will do. It won't and here's a review on a generic 600W PSU to prove it.

I am using Scan Computers as reference for the prices. Not always the cheapest, but they have a great selection and very good customer service.

Apart from the CPU, an SSD will give your system a big boost. Not only will the game load and save far quicker, but everything else (hard drive related) will speed up too, this includes booting windows. If you do look at these, then make sure that it runs TRIM. This is vitally important for keeping an SSD running at optimum speeds.

Anyway, good luck.

Well I'm running an i7 920 overclocked to 4gig and it's running the game with 'as near as damn it' all leagues running, large data base and full detail on all of the leagues. The game runs great and I hardly have to wait at all. Generally 2 or 3 seconds is the longest I have to wait. A big, mid/end of season process, may take up to 10 seconds but that's about as long as it ever gets.

Whilst the 980X is a fantastic processor and will be quicker in this game than a stock quad core, it would be rather a waste of money (£830). These chips are designed for the serious nutters who like to run sub zero cooling and compete against each other for the highest overclocks. They aren't designed to be run at stock, which is why they have unlocked multipliers so that you can push it till it canny take no more. I'm not saying don't get one, I'd absolutely love one, but they really don't justify the cost.

It would make far more financial sense to buy an i7 930 (£230), a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (£155), 6gig of PC12800 Ram (£190) + 128gig SSD (around £275).

This lot would cost £20 more than the 980X and allow you to overclock the nads off it. You would need improved cooling on it, as the reference Intel fan is pants. Something like the Titan Fenrir (£30) or the Corsair H50-1 (£60) would be ideal. The latter is a self contained water cooling unit and it will keep the CPU cooler.

Whichever route you do go down, make sure you get a bloody good PSU. There is no point in building either system if the PSU isn't up to the job. I'd recommend the Enermax Revolution85+ 850W (£180). Yes £180 is a lot to spend on a PSU but they are worth every penny. Most people think that any old power supply will do. It won't and here's a review on a generic 600W PSU to prove it.

I am using Scan Computers as reference for the prices. Not always the cheapest, but they have a great selection and very good customer service.

Apart from the CPU, an SSD will give your system a big boost. Not only will the game load and save far quicker, but everything else (hard drive related) will speed up too, this includes booting windows. If you do look at these, then make sure that it runs TRIM. This is vitally important for keeping an SSD running at optimum speeds.

Anyway, good luck.

thanks for the advice but dont have idea what u mean has i am not very good with laptops or pc tallk

It would seem that a RAM upgrade may be needed. Both Ram and the processers effect the speed of FM - what type of processer do you have?[/QUOT

i have a Celeron processor 560

Ok just had a look and that is a single core processer. I dont know a lot about laptops but having recently purchased one I learnt quite a bit recently.

Becasue you only have a single core processer (most laptops have at least a dual core processer now) then you dont have agreat deal of processing power as technology is improving so rapidly that a single core processer is not great to be honest, and as I had one in my last laptop and I had 512mb of RAM and FM2010 was pretty much unplayable as I was below the minimum specifications.

But whether or not it is worth buying extra RAM - I don't know - becasue you have only a single core - but getting some extra RAM will help but I'm not quite sure to the extent of the benefit that the extra RAM will have based on your single processer.

If you dont want to buy a new laptop (not that I'm saying you need to) then I would guess the next best thing would be to buy some RAM - which I believe you can get pretty cheaply at the right place.

But don't feel you need to buy a 'super computer' to play FM as a lot of people do. I bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 dual core, 2.20GHZ with 4GB RAM and it is more than capable of playing FM at a very good level IMO.

my laptop is a Aspire 5315 which i have had about a year but its with a contract so when it ends i am going to upgrade it.

Ok cool - but forgive me but when you say upgrade in a year - what does that mean?

Do you mean you can get a new computer in a year or does it mean you can increase the RAM etc or will you be able to do that now (in the short term) and change in the future?

i can get a new laptop when the contract runs out.so do u think i should go to a pc shop and ask them to add the stuff you said?

Oh right if you can get a new laptop in a year then thats great! If the speed is pretty poor then I would say get some extra RAM but I must emphasise I don't now a great deal about computers in terms of general knowledge but as I said having bought a laptop a few weeks ago I learnt quite alot in relation to the power/speed and how this will be of benefit to FM.

A mate of mine bought some RAM on the internet - got it delivered - and opened the bottom of his laptop and put the strip in for it to work - I don't know if you could do this, I dont know how but he said it was pretty simple and It was very cheap - cant remember exactly but it was at most £15 and maybe less. But if you go to PC shop then it may cost quite a bit more but I just don't know. I would say getting 2GB RAM added to the original 1GB RAM that you have. I would have said say maybe getting 3GB of RAM more instead of 2GB RAM more but as you are getting a new laptop in around a year then the more RAM you get the less monetary value effective it becomes - if that makes sense - a sort of apportunity cost as you will be getting a new laptop - so I would say getting 3GB more may be a waste in light of the new laptop in the future.

So I would say getting 2GB RAM put into your laptop - but this is just my advise and only that. :)

Oh right if you can get a new laptop in a year then thats great! If the speed is pretty poor then I would say get some extra RAM but I must emphasise I don't now a great deal about computers in terms of general knowledge but as I said having bought a laptop a few weeks ago I learnt quite alot in relation to the power/speed and how this will be of benefit to FM.

A mate of mine bought some RAM on the internet - got it delivered - and opened the bottom of his laptop and put the strip in for it to work - I don't know if you could do this, I dont know how but he said it was pretty simple and It was very cheap - cant remember exactly but it was at most £15 and maybe less. But if you go to PC shop then it may cost quite a bit more but I just don't know. I would say getting 2GB RAM added to the original 1GB RAM that you have. I would have said say maybe getting 3GB of RAM more instead of 2GB RAM more but as you are getting a new laptop in around a year then the more RAM you get the less monetary value effective it becomes - if that makes sense - a sort of apportunity cost as you will be getting a new laptop - so I would say getting 3GB more may be a waste in light of the new laptop in the future.

So I would say getting 2GB RAM put into your laptop - but this is just my advise and only that. :)

thank you for the advice mate very helpfull.

thank you for the advice mate very helpfull.

No worries - I'll just add I guess it depends on the monetary value of the extra RAM and what you are prepared to pay for increased speed of FM for a year.

For example and depending on your financial situation - If extra 2GB RAM would cost £50 to buy and get installed and would increase the performance of FM then that for me would be good value for money - just over £4 per month in order to help improve the FM speed - then that sounds very good. The more expensive the less appealing it becomes. So I guess its a happy medium.

There is also something called 'game booster' which helps improve the performance of FM - it worth a try. Its a free programme that you can download!

Just make sure that you check how any slots you have populated already and at what speed the lappy supports and what speed your current Ram is. That is important, get it wrong and at worst the new stuff won't work, and at best, it will step down. Anywho good luck with the upgrade

http://www.offtek.co.uk/

I've found a £749 i5 gaming PC from HP. Problem is though you have to buy the monitor seperately but I suppose it's worth it. What do you reckon?

I would not, then that would be personal bias. I would build my own. It is up to you mate, if you do go the route of the mass builders (as I term it) you are getting mass stocked built rigs. However, Scan would offer you a rig that is in essense, built with cherry picked components. Ie the best of the current best. HP would just mass order mobos or more likely have thier own branded models.

In terms of the monitor, if you can wait, get the base unit first and save up for a biggie samsung for a later purchase.

EDIT. BTW. As above, don't forget the PSU. As CW suggested, Enermax along with Antec, build awsome units. You want a True Power unit and not some generic tripe.

I quite like HP though. It's a good computer spec, dear but you know.

Whatever you decide to do, just do the usual. Check upgrade options and what you have to do to do so. Any break downs proceedures etc.. and what the warranty covers.

Tell me about it. I've had to send back two DELL PC's as both arrived faulty. I'm going to invest in a decent HP gaming PC now.

Yeah I hear ya on Dell. Check out the latest edition of PC Pro. Got it myself but not with me. An HP Gaming Rig reviewed.

What do you think of the HP Gaming Rig I presented in this forum? My brother says it's overpriced this that and the other, he's probably right. But most things are overpriced. He paid 8,000 for a car he never drives! LOL

Also I'm sure the I5 computer will be able to handle Mass Effect 2 and Metro and Splinter Cell, surely?

Compare that desktop with this one:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)

Memory6144MB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048 + 2x1024] Memory

ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 1GB DDR3 graphics

It is always difficult to determine what is expensive from my perspective. The components specified may well be more expensive to aquire as seperates, in fact they would be.

I personally would go no lower than a Q9### series, but that will do you. Hopefully the Ram will be able to match the FSB on 1.1 divider. That will give optimum system performance.

The only other thing would have been an SSD. You can buy one these days without even worrying about features. The only one you need is TRIM and Windows 7 has that as native support so you could get a lower end model for gaming at some future point.

Oh, the Q8300 computer from DELL got sent back. The motherboard was broke upon arrival. I'm going with the i5-750 processor from HP. I've seen benchmarks and the i5-750 is significantly faster and is even closer to the i7.

Oh, the Q8300 computer from DELL got sent back. The motherboard was broke upon arrival. I'm going with the i5-750 processor from HP. I've seen benchmarks and the i5-750 is significantly faster and is even closer to the i7.

Closer on stock yeah, but once those 920's start ramping up.. Have got a link for the HP?

Hi lads,

not very clued up on computer spec,but looking to buy a fast laptop,

would this play FM fast?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-2115sa-04127303-pdt.html

any advice much appreciated.

With everything maxed out... no. Then again, no laptop on earth (at the time of this writing) would (with, maybe, a rare overpriced exception or two).

With half a dozen leagues, and small or medium db, and average detail... sure, should do the trick.

Portables never were, aren't, and probably never will be good choices for gamer... unless you REALLY have to play on the move, or live in a small shed with no room for a proper PC.

My two cents... cheers.

The HP computer is as follows;

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-150uk Desktop PC plus HP Gaming Mouse, Digital Headset and EA Game* (BWE150AAHM)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

Intel® Core™ i5 processor 750

6 GB DDR3

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 220 with PureVideo® HD technology

1 TB SATA 3G Hard Disk Drive (7200 rpm)

DVD writer SATA DVD RAM and Double Layer supporting LightScribe technology

Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n PCI-Ex1 minicard

excuse my ignorance,

but would that run all leagues on max?

Theoretically, most modern PCs could do it... but sloooow. I'm talking of waiting 30 minutes or more until you can take control of the game and be able to do something.

In practice, what's "playable" then is a bit subjective.

Personally, I'd avoid anything that rates below the following:

- Good dual-core CPU (quad-core preferably).

Examples:

1 - "AMD Phenom II X4 945" (quad-core with excelent price/performance ratio)

2 - "Intel i3 530" (cheapest, but only 2-core... not a big issue if overclocking)

3 - "Intel i5 750" (ideal quad-core, but more expensive than the other two alternatives above)

- 4GB or RAM (6 or 8 preferably, especially if running Windows Vista or 7)

- High-performance 7200rpm hard drive (SSD preferably... but they're obscenely expensive atm)

Most computer retailers I know allow you to choose your components and assemble the PC for a small fee. It's usually a much more cost-effective option then simply to buy off the shelf because, more often than not, you'll be paying for components you don't need (or aren't optimal).

More specific advice would depend on how much you're willing to spend, and where you live. Hope this helps, anyway.

To tell you the truth. I feel like you're overpaying by quite a bit by buying a prebuilt computer. Most of these prebuilts have crap for a motherboard and Power supply. For the same price you can get mid-top of the line stuff and if you don't know how to put it all together. Look on craiglist and they'll put it together for you for maybe 20-30 dollars at most.

Hi Guys i was wondering if any of the computetr experts can tell me if this is any good? I went to a sytsem build place with what i wanted and they changed a few things to be compatible with other components. They seemed pretty good but just want an informed opinion of wehter or not this is good. I only really play FM and a few other games so dont need a beast of a computer.

Three Year On site warranty(for $0-$3000)Umart System Build Only

Microsoft Windows VistaHomePremium 64bit w 7 UPG(OEM)buy w Hardware

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Retail box Can be install on 3

Microsoft Black Value Pack Keyboard&mouse

LG DVD22X+- DUAL LAYER DVD Rewriter with Software(GH22NP20) Black

Intel CORE 2 QUAD Q9550/2.83GHz/12MB CACHE/1333MHz FSB/LGA775

Hitachi 500G SATA 7200RPM

GSkill 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1333 PC10666 (F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ)

Gigabyte GF9400GT 512MB DDR2 PCIE2.0

Computer System

Asus Wireless BT21 mini USB Bluetooth Doogle

Asus VH192D 18.5 inch Wide 5ms D-Sub Black

Asus P5KPL-1600 S775 QuadCore G31 FSB1600

Antec TriCool 120mm Blue LED Case Fan with 3-Speed Switch

thanks for any help. :thup:

The i7 920 is a really good processor, with a H50 water cooling, some people have been getting reasonable temperatures (around 50/60) at 3.8ghz overclock, before adjusting voltages and whatnot too just doing the relatively basic stuff. Few claimants of 4.2/4.3ghz out of the Nehalem 920's because of their microarchitecture apparently making them easier to upgrade further than the 930 as well as costing quite a bit less at the moment.

That computer you have is going to struggle compared to a later chipset, as you can see the LGA775 and that quad core processor still makes use of an FSB and the cores will be slower to interact with each other. It's alright, but it depends on what price its coming at. The GFX card isn't too great, I had either a 9400 or 9800 in my old Vista PC, and it began to struggle with WoW on high settings. ATI gfx cards are generally at the moment better value for money.

The RAM is pretty decent at 1333Mhz, since you won't be overclocking though (I presume if you aren't too sure of what that spec means) PC12800 RAM might be better since its 1600Mhz but whether your motherboard will support it or not is a different matter lol.

As for the i7 980x, I think everyone would love one, 6 cores and 12 threads if memory serves right. A few people have complained they've struggled to get it above 3.8/3.9ghz because of cooling issues though, I'm not the most immersed in the overclocking society, I just do my own computer without reading up on what everyone else is doing, other than when I need to do something new lol.

Apparently though, it reaches its throttling temperatures far too soon when overclocked without some pretty damn good cooling, to get the most out of it it will probably need one of those liquid metal coolers which are quite scarce or a very well rigged up home-made watercooling system. A sheer abundance of case cooling would be needed too.

To tell you the truth. I feel like you're overpaying by quite a bit by buying a prebuilt computer. Most of these prebuilts have crap for a motherboard and Power supply. For the same price you can get mid-top of the line stuff and if you don't know how to put it all together. Look on craiglist and they'll put it together for you for maybe 20-30 dollars at most.

Do you know of any places that build them to order?

Hi Guys i was wondering if any of the computetr experts can tell me if this is any good? I went to a sytsem build place with what i wanted and they changed a few things to be compatible with other components. They seemed pretty good but just want an informed opinion of wehter or not this is good. I only really play FM and a few other games so dont need a beast of a computer.

Given the above info... I think you can do better. You haven't mentioned how much all of that will cost you but, regardless, it can't be cheap enough to warrant it.

First of all, the technology is outadated... the configuration uses old technology (socket 775) and Windows Vista with 7 upgrade is an invitation for trouble. It seems more like they're trying to unload some old stuff that's not selling.

Also, OpenOffice can easily replace Microsoft Office for most people... and if you really need Microsoft Office, then get 2010 version.

As I told beezer, for more specific advice, it's best to say how much you're willing to spend, and which country you're in (UK, USA, somewhere else in Europe, etc).

Do you know of any places that build them to order?

Where do you live (I'm assuming Scotland, but could be wrong)? How much are you willing to spend? Do you need a full configuration (includes monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc) or just a new tower?

Archived