Any way to lessen amount of in-match injuries you receive?

My team are rapidly becoming the walking wounded; and the opposition don't seem to be getting penalised in matches for it at all so I'm beginning to assume its something I'm doing. Out of 25 senior, registered players 11 are now injured for more than 2 weeks. I play slow, which could perhaps be encouraging lesser teams to come in and clatter my players, as it used to be the case I had the team of bruisers doing this to other teams now its being done to my bunch of fairies lol.

Fortunately this season I didn't loan out my youngsters so I'm able to name a team + 7 subs just about, but there must be a way to reduce this level of injuries through my tactics somehow, wondering if anyone knows of changes which will reduce this happening.

Ive started to get the same as my team has begun to become a real force. Not sure there is anything you can do, as you say the refs dont protect players in anyway making game spoiling tactics very effective and not much of a risk in terms of players being penilised.

So well done SI for adding something like this and forgetting or simply not bothering to add the other side to the equation.

Lost 0-1 and to compund it in the last few seconds I have a chance to cross but my player kicks it out because one of their players is down about 30 yards away.

SI this ME is a joke- for starters dont you know the rules for injured players, that now its up to the ref, and also that in a North London derby that the player might cross it regardless of being sportsmanlike? I wont even mention his awareness of a player going down who is behind him and a mile away!!!

Its all well and good that you try and put neat little touches in but how about you try and get the fundementals right first?????

Also I have 3 yellow cards yet their pesistant fouling has only resulted in 1!!!

Why do SI rarely reply to things like this- the game is slowly becoming more broken than it is fixed.

They don't reply because you're not trying to have a dialogue, you're having a rant.

Fill your boots, but don't expect company.

Well, I'm looking at a more tactical remedy. When my Stoke side were lower half strugglers, and I brought players through who were more up for a fight in the sense that they could definitely handle themselves physically and were more able to put themselves about as my team was more defensive minded I had it far less. Now my side has evolved to a more ball on the ground, slow methodical attacking build up but my team is breaking like fine china.

So, it would be good to get a discussion on the go about how to work around it whilst still able to make use of the guile and pace technically gifted players come with without finding them on the injury list for 2 - 5 months at a time.

What's the condition like of your players going into a game, if the players are below 95% starting off I would suggest rotating in players more (one or two players under 95% is often unavodable). If your players are getting injured late then I would look at the condition during the game a lot more (I personally am looking to substitute any player under 75% from about 60mins in), any green cross player will probably need to be taken off at some stage.

If you are playing a lot of mid-week games on top of the Saturday games, I would rest all the squad for at least a day after the games. If your players are still getting injured then I would tone down the physical and aerobic areas of your training schedules.

I would also look at the Natural Fitness, Strength and Stamina ratings of your players. Low ratings here will generally indicate a high injury proneness and nursing this type of player is essential. The final bit of advice I would give is to give players returning from injury a week or two on the bench before bringing them back in (something hard with 11 out).

My team are rapidly becoming the walking wounded; and the opposition don't seem to be getting penalised in matches for it at all so I'm beginning to assume its something I'm doing. Out of 25 senior, registered players 11 are now injured for more than 2 weeks. I play slow, which could perhaps be encouraging lesser teams to come in and clatter my players, as it used to be the case I had the team of bruisers doing this to other teams now its being done to my bunch of fairies lol.

Fortunately this season I didn't loan out my youngsters so I'm able to name a team + 7 subs just about, but there must be a way to reduce this level of injuries through my tactics somehow, wondering if anyone knows of changes which will reduce this happening.

The most regular type of injury is the short term Contact injury that tests the injury prone attribute whenever players come into contact with each other. The best way to avoid these kinds of injuries is to reduce the contact players (especially injury prone players) have with other players.

The other type of injury is the most severe kind, and it is an "Action Injury" that occurs when a player is doing some kind of Physically or Technically Intensive action. These are the very bad injuries that result from things like bad tackles from poor angles on players dribbling/running, or pulling hamstrings after a sprint at low physical condition/poor pitch condition etc.

The best way to avoid this kind of injury is keep condition high, reduce the physical and technical exertion of your players, and adapt your playstyle to pitch conditions.

In addition- my next game is a CL Semi against Zenit. First half- 18 fouls by them, not a single yellow. Particularly poor as refs in Euro ties tend to clamp down quicker than domestic (well ok English refs).

One other thing that makes the whole situation worse is that after years of suggestions we still cannot tell precisely what minor injuries our players have during a game. How ridiculous is this? As basically it means you may tend to err on the side of caution and use up subs all to quickly when its key players involved.

• 1 month later...
In addition- my next game is a CL Semi against Zenit. First half- 18 fouls by them, not a single yellow. Particularly poor as refs in Euro ties tend to clamp down quicker than domestic (well ok English refs).

One other thing that makes the whole situation worse is that after years of suggestions we still cannot tell precisely what minor injuries our players have during a game. How ridiculous is this? As basically it means you may tend to err on the side of caution and use up subs all to quickly when its key players involved.

You can tell by checking the player's profile screen what kind of injury it is in-match (i.e., "Has a potential head injury"); whether or not you can really do anything with that information is another story.

I've bumped this thread to add that in my opinion something is seriously wrong regarding injuries. My left-back is nearing a return after spending 6 months on the sidelines with a broken leg and one of my strikers is about to make his comeback after missing 3 months with a hip injury. So what happens? A right-back goes and gets injured for 2-3 months while my best, unstoppable striker suffers a broken leg and now he's out for 5-6 months...

No minor injuries, I never have more than 3-4 players out at the same time but they always have some ridiculously serious problem. Even if I accept the argument (I don't) that my training schedules or playing style are at fault, surely that would mean an increase in the amount of all injuries, not just those of a horroristic nature? It's a bit annoying and frustrating that whenever a green or horribile dictu, red cross appears next to one of my players' name, I immediately know that he'll miss at least 3 months.

As the OP of this thread, I can assure you its not aimed at saying injuries are suffered at too high a rate lol. Try playing more direct and quicker across the first half or 60 minutes, you'll find all injuries are reduced in my own small bit of testing in the sense that other teams will be too tired to close down your players and both major and minor injuries will decrease. I've currently got 5 injured players, and its the first time in 3 seasons I've got 5 injured at the same time. It's only a problem because I holidayed past the registration day and it didn't keep my previous registered list and cut out a few players in favour of registering unnecessarily several 16 year olds.

My Three Midfield players are all set to hard tackling, I have cover, so the bans for yellow cards are acceptable and I lessen it to normal in a match after the first yellow. I fairly often win the battle of condition, knobbling their midfield players and strikers.

This does give me an increased rate of injuries and cards.

So I learnt to have my Strikers and Wide attacking midfielder players on easy tackling and train them not to dive into tackles and that seems to work well for them.

I have my whole defence on normal as I don't want to concede to many penalties.

Archived