deep line or push up

What I generally do:

Home:

vs good teams: fairly high. Pressure them, try and play the game in the opposition half.

vs other teams: mixed. Try to control possession (allowing yourself more space) and nullify the risk from counter attacks.

Away:

vs good teams: high. Good teams expect to dominate at home. Don't give them the space to do so and force them to release the ball faster and maybe play more direct and forced into long balls and shots from distance. There's also the chance to win the ball higher up the pitch and launch a counter attack.

vs other teams: fairly deep. Let them have to break you down, which they may not have the attacking quality to do, and try to break regularly on the counter in the extra space created.

Obviously also depends on the quality of your team, the ability (and speed/stamina) of your players [defenders esp.] amongst other factors.

I actually have a better defence record with a defence that pushes up rather than drops deeper

I generally focus on retaining possession and closing down the other teams best/in-form players

whats best to keep the defence line back or push up i have allways kept it back.but i allways get feedback that the gaps to big between the denfence and midfeild.

Thats not to do with your defensive line setting.

Its telling you that the mentality of the defence & midfield are too far apart, you either need to increase the mentality of the defence or decrease the mentality of the midfield.

Thats not to do with your defensive line setting.

Its telling you that the mentality of the defence & midfield are too far apart, you either need to increase the mentality of the defence or decrease the mentality of the midfield.

how do i do this

If you are using the tactics creator, then set your more defensive midfielder to "defend" rather than "support" or leave that how it is, but in advanced, tick his mentality (i think its the first slider) and put it down about 3 notches

Definitely high line, even where I'm a massive underdog. Force the opponents to play through you, which is difficult as their midfield is more compressed. Means you can build from the back easier too, without giving the ball away aimlessly when their attack breaks down.

I play high line, Arsenal style football. The danger is at the end when I am winning 2-0 in say a European competition then concede a consolation away goal. Maybe then I should put my defence back but I feel like they would eventually score anyway

Archived