What is the maximum league goals the game recognizes?

I would like to know what is the maximum league and international goals the game recognizes? I have got players who score about 300 league goals a season (I cheat, of course :D), but the game will ONLY state about 125 or 127 goals maximum per season. The same phenomenon applies to international goals as well!

Why is this so? Is this due to programming limitations? The same principle applies to the human manager's age as well! Is there a cap on the number of goals the game recognizes PER season?

I would just like to know. Thanks!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're calling something that only gets found out by cheating a limitation?

Don't cheat and you won't see it. Why would they change things that aren't going to be met by the large majority of players that play the game as it's meant to be? Hence it is not really a bug, as you call it.

Any programmers know why 127 rather than 255? With my hazy memory and quick googling I would have thought an unsigned variable would be the obvious choice, just curious as to what the technical reasoning might be.

Thus programming is in its infancy! Thats a pity!

You're calling something that only gets found out by cheating a limitation?

Don't cheat and you won't see it. Why would they change things that aren't going to be met by the large majority of players that play the game as it's meant to be? Hence it is not really a bug, as you call it.

This would be called programming limitations which is just a pity! Is it possible to increase this amount? I would like to see a player scoring 300 goals per season! :D

This would be called programming limitations which is just a pity! Is it possible to increase this amount? I would like to see a player scoring 300 goals per season! :D

As before, open to correction.

The total number of goals is defined as a variable which is allocated a block of memory which applies to every player in the game. Increasing it to a variable type which can hold a higher value would just be a waste of memory when as anagin pointed out a single player is very unlikely to get to the maximum value without 'modification'.

Given your post about programming infancy, I'd just like to point out that my initial post was a question and not a criticism. As professionals I'm guessing the lads at SI had technical reasons for the apparent 127 maximum value, and I'm curious if anyone on here could shed some light on that.

As before, open to correction.

The total number of goals is defined as a variable which is allocated a block of memory which applies to every player in the game. Increasing it to a variable type which can hold a higher value would just be a waste of memory when as anagin pointed out a single player is very unlikely to get to the maximum value without 'modification'.

Given your post about programming infancy, I'd just like to point out that my initial post was a question and not a criticism. As professionals I'm guessing the lads at SI had technical reasons for the apparent 127 maximum value, and I'm curious if anyone on here could shed some light on that.

Perhaps in the future when computer technology advances greatly, this variable could be increased?

Can you post a screenshot of the player with 300 league goals would love to see his ratings. How do you cheat to get that many goals? I know you could use the corner cheat but what else do you do, manage the opposition team and put a defender in goal or what?

I'm not completely sure so feel free to correct me on this. 127 as opposed to 255 can be viewed as a binary issue. As far as I'm aware football manager would used signed binary rather than unsigned, which causes a difference between what each value is made of. For example, in signed binary, -127 is made from "11111111", however, when "11111111" is used in unsigned binary it makes 255.

So if they use signed binary, then rather than ending up with 127 they're gonna get -127.

Doubt I've explained it well but I know what I mean. Not entirely sure if its the right idea though

Can you post a screenshot of the player with 300 league goals would love to see his ratings. How do you cheat to get that many goals? I know you could use the corner cheat but what else do you do, manage the opposition team and put a defender in goal or what?

It is quite actually easy! If you are feeling bored with life and just want to do some experiments, use FMRTE; make your player a legend, then play him in ALL the league games. Also, manage every opposition team that would be playing against your team, create a 0-5-5 tactic and just watch the goals flow! You can easily win by 30-0 to 40-0 with your strikers scoring 10 goals an average per GAME! :D

But I can't provide you a screenshot with this because every time a player scores at least 127 goals (I think), his goal scoring records reverts back to ZERO! This is indeed irritating!

I always get a kick on doing this and I never tire of playing Football Manager that way! In fact, I have doing this for the past 9 years of my FM gaming! You can say that I am the worst Football Manager out there! :D

I'm not completely sure so feel free to correct me on this. 127 as opposed to 255 can be viewed as a binary issue. As far as I'm aware football manager would used signed binary rather than unsigned, which causes a difference between what each value is made of. For example, in signed binary, -127 is made from "11111111", however, when "11111111" is used in unsigned binary it makes 255.

So if they use signed binary, then rather than ending up with 127 they're gonna get -127.

Doubt I've explained it well but I know what I mean. Not entirely sure if its the right idea though

Whatever the figure, it always irritates me when the number of goals scored by my striker reverts back to ZERO! :( Can SI please fix this? This has been going on with EVERY Football Manager game; since the old days of CM! :D

Whatever the figure, it always irritates me when the number of goals scored by my striker reverts back to ZERO! :( Can SI please fix this? This has been going on with EVERY Football Manager game; since the old days of CM! :D

It's only set to do that because no one who's playing the game properly is going have a striker hitting 300 goals a season; it's just not feasible without some form of cheating.

SI aren't going to make changes to a game to suit people who are going to cheat, it would ruin the experience as a whole for those of us who choose to make it a proper challenge.

How does that not get boring Blanchflower1?

I really do not know why till now, I don't feel bored playing FM this way! :D I can't bear to lose! I don't know why! I always like to have a 100% win record in my managerial career! :D

Something must be wrong with me! :D I am not the average FM player!

It's only set to do that because no one who's playing the game properly is going have a striker hitting 300 goals a season; it's just not feasible without some form of cheating.

SI aren't going to make changes to a game to suit people who are going to cheat, it would ruin the experience as a whole for those of us who choose to make it a proper challenge.

But it is ruining MY experience!!!! :D

I really do not know why till now, I don't feel bored playing FM this way! :D I can't bear to lose! I don't know why! I always like to have a 100% win record in my managerial career! :D

Something must be wrong with me! :D I am not the average FM player!

In other words, you play just to win and if you dont win everygame your not happy.

But your cheating to win so in theory you've never really won a a game

But it is ruining MY experience!!!! :D

Well that's your problem, isn't it? You're in a minority of people who don't play the game as a challenge, SI aren't going to change the game to suit a minority of needs.

If it ruins you're experience, then play it properly.

You're welcome to play it how you wish, couldn't care less quite honestly. But if you're going to complain that you cheating is ruining your game experience, then don't do it :rolleyes:

Just a question, what is the corner cheat? Cheers

Well that's your problem, isn't it? You're in a minority of people who don't play the game as a challenge, SI aren't going to change the game to suit a minority of needs.

If it ruins you're experience, then play it properly.

You're welcome to play it how you wish, couldn't care less quite honestly. But if you're going to complain that you cheating is ruining your game experience, then don't do it :rolleyes:

But is it possible to increase the 127 limit? What if the game creates a super regen?

No player will EVER score 127 goals in one season. FACT

I beg to differ.

Link

Kroblues, on this forum, has scored over 127 goals in a season many many times with his legendary striker Paul Spence, and Andrew Smylie certainly would have as well...

Unless it is only league goals that counts? Or... something is different in FM08 from FM10?

The limit is there due to coding. If they change the limit, it will cause the game to run extremely slow. Not for me, thanks.

As far as I can tell, 128 is the cut off for league goals. Smylie's "highest" tally for league goals was 128, despite scoring more than that in 1 season. For international goals, once a player hits 255, his tally will reset to 0 :p

The limit is there due to coding. If they change the limit, it will cause the game to run extremely slow. Not for me, thanks.

As far as I can tell, 128 is the cut off for league goals. Smylie's "highest" tally for league goals was 128, despite scoring more than that in 1 season. For international goals, once a player hits 255, his tally will reset to 0 :p

Well, if computer technology advances greatly in the next couple of years, will SI ever consider increasing this limit? The limit is too small in my liking! :D Also, if there are huge advances in computer technology, I am sure that increasing this limit would not result in a performance hit!

Also, if there are huge advances in computer technology, I am sure that increasing this limit would not result in a performance hit!

Not everybody is gaming in i7's with masses of memory. It's much more sensible to make the game run decently on a low/mid range system then aim too high and lose all those customers.

Frankly it isn't needed for 99.999% of the people playing FM. They won't get anyone anywhere near 127 goals in a season. If you are going to make the game require more memory/processing power then it better be because they are adding something amazing not some purely comestic rubbish.

Why do you hope not? Don't you wish to see vast advancement in Football Manager? Where is your sense of ambition? :D

I've heard that the difference in speed to change limits like this would be fairly significant. I'd hate to play a slower game for something that the overwhelming majority of people will never see the benefits of.

Players scoring over 128 league goals is not something I'd ever want to see in the game.

I've heard that the difference in speed to change limits like this would be fairly significant. I'd hate to play a slower game for something that the overwhelming majority of people will never see the benefits of.

Players scoring over 128 league goals is not something I'd ever want to see in the game.

Then, this is just too bad! I guess I must wait for it to happen in 10 or 20 years time! :(

There's huge advances in computer technology all the time; it means nothing. Not everyone can afford to go spend £1000 on a new top of the range system every time that there's new advances.

The limit is there for people with lower end systems, and I highly doubt it will change.

It won't be incredibly slower, probably negligible. It's probably an unsigned byte which is used for the goals. Since 128 goals is unlikely but definitely attainable in some smaller leagues, I personally would not be opposed to halfwords (16-bits) which imposes a limit of 32767 or 65535 if signed or unsigned respectively, which will probably be not reachable at all.

They're just byte operations after all and registers are very quick - the game isn't going to double in size and processing speed because one variable's word size is doubled.

x86 and x86-64 don't have 8-bit registers anyway - they have 16-bit registers (ax, bx, ah, bh, etc.) and 32-bit registers (and x86-64 has 64-bit) - so we gain nothing by using 8-bit registers in terms of processing power and would lose nothing by converting to 16-bit or 32-bit.

It won't be incredibly slower, probably negligible. It's probably an unsigned byte which is used for the goals. Since 128 goals is unlikely but definitely attainable in some smaller leagues, I personally would not be opposed to halfwords (16-bits) which imposes a limit of 32767 or 65535 if signed or unsigned respectively, which will probably be not reachable at all.

They're just byte operations after all and registers are very quick - the game isn't going to double in size and processing speed because one variable's word size is doubled.

x86 and x86-64 don't have 8-bit registers anyway - they have 16-bit registers (ax, bx, ah, bh, etc.) and 32-bit registers (and x86-64 has 64-bit) - so we gain nothing by using 8-bit registers in terms of processing power and would lose nothing by converting to 16-bit or 32-bit.

If this is true, then I hope that SI would seriously consider upping the limits of the number of goals scored! It is such a waste to see the goal tally of a player revert back to zero if the limit is reached! I believe that the current limit is way to conservative! They should set the limit that is so high that it would be impossible to reach.....even by cheating! :D

For example, at the very most, a player could score 15 goals PER game (if one cheats) and that would make it a total of 570 league goals. If SI were to raise the limit to say 800 or even 1,000 goals, that would make everyone happy! :D

Moreover, they could raise the limit of international goals scored by a single player to 1,500 goals for good measure! :D

To top it all of, they could also raise the age limit of a manager, say 400 to 500 years! Or even better, 1,000 years! Some players play the game for very long periods of time, and raising this limit would also be a more accurate figure on statistics as well!. It is possible to play a thousand seasons in one year! Just complete 4 seasons per day on holiday mode! :D

Thanks for all the extra information (not that I understand a word of it). Do you really think that 128 league goals is achievable without cheating though, even in a smaller league?

Thanks for all the extra information (not that I understand a word of it). Do you really think that 128 league goals is achievable without cheating though, even in a smaller league?

But SI should also take into considerations of players (like me :D) who cheat playing against the AI!. It is always frustrating for me to see players scoring over 128 goals per season revert their goal tally back to zero! :(

I am sure I am not the only Football Manager player who have players scoring over 128 goals per season! I am sure there are others but they might be too "afraid" to admit their "wrongdoings" here on this forum! :D

It is such a waste to see the goal tally of a player revert back to zero if the limit is reached!

Why don't you just let this situation lie. SI are NOT going to change things accommodate people who aren't willing to play the game properly.

The limit for a "players goals" isn't 128. It may show there in the records section as that, but I've had a player score over 200 goals, and the game recognizes that, and doesn't reset it. A few other people on the boards have also achieved something similar, and the game hasn't reverted the tally back to 0 for them. I'm pretty sure the "revert" happens at 255, not at 128. (Or, 127, as it would be, because technically the "0" would be the 128th). So yeah, that aside, if you're going to blatantly, and openly cheat the game, you can't expect stats and figures to represent how they are achieved as you see them. The game isn't built for that, and god forbid, if SI start catering the game specifically towards the people who cheat, just to soothe their ego, it'll be the last time I ever pick up a copy of FM.

But SI should also take into considerations of players (like me :D) who cheat playing against the AI!. It is always frustrating for me to see players scoring over 128 goals per season revert their goal tally back to zero! :(

I am sure I am not the only Football Manager player who have players scoring over 128 goals per season! I am sure there are others but they might be too "afraid" to admit their "wrongdoings" here on this forum! :D

It will also prove a useful statistical knowledge of the real number of goals scored by a player if SI raises the limit! Right now, I can't even rely on past statistics because of this limit! :(

Give it up. The won't change the coding of the game, so a hat-full of cheaters can keep tabs on their "awesomeness". I can't imagine how dull it must be, to win 30-40 nil game after game, knowing that I'd cheated. It was fun for me when I was doing it, and the fact that I HADN'T cheated to do it, but if I'd cheated.... what's the point.

Realistically perhaps not, but for perhaps user-designed databases where you swap Manchester United with a Blue Square North side (possibly available in the Challenges forum) this could easily be reachable.

It's just that since we have no 8-bit registers 8-bit integers are put at the least case into 16-bit registers for computation, so we save absolutely nothing by using 8-bit registers. The only thing that it saves is disk space but then again adding 8 bits for even 300,000 players will only add 300,000 bytes to the size of a game file which is not much at all.

But mate, I am only exploiting the AI, which has got no feelings of hurt! :D

It's still sad, and SI aren't going to accommodate your wishes to make it more fun to cheat which is basically what you want.

I really do fail to see where you get fun out of cheating the games engine to win everything at your disposal; I've done it in the past for the sheer hell of it and I'd rather watch paint dry.

It's still sad, and SI aren't going to accommodate your wishes to make it more fun to cheat which is basically what you want.

I really do fail to see where you get fun out of cheating the games engine to win everything at your disposal; I've done it in the past for the sheer hell of it and I'd rather watch paint dry.

"Breaking" a game is rather fun, look at tool-assisted games, for example.

The fact is that some people find it fun.

Archived