Welsh is'nt considered a language

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How come when I look at Welsh players profiles, there is only English as a spoken language and not Welsh, considering nearly all the young players for the national team speak it in real life.

Congrats on your first post. Welcome to the forums :thup:

Do any Welsh clubs actually enforce speaking Welsh? There are two problems, firstly not all Welsh players speak Welsh. Secondly no one from outside Wales is going to want to join a Welsh club if they have to speak Welsh, the league is so poorly rated already it does'nt need more obstacles.

On topic, theres a very simple reason why Welsh isn't in the game.

It is not needed, basically everything who speaks Welsh also speaks English and far from all Welsh people speak Welsh. Therefore in the eyes of the game there is nothing wrong with just using English and all Welsh players can communicate together as they can in real life. It would be of no advantage in football terms to have this additional language.

Furthermore, there are many other languages not in the game that are far more widely spoken than Welsh and may have implications. For example the many native african languages which may allow people from former British and French territories to communicate without learning another language. For example the Ewe language spoken in Ghana (officially English speaking) and Togo (officially French speaking) by over 3 million people.

there's just no argument for not adding Welsh.

I think there is ...

It is not needed, basically everything who speaks Welsh also speaks English and far from all Welsh people speak Welsh. Therefore in the eyes of the game there is nothing wrong with just using English and all Welsh players can communicate together as they can in real life. It would be of no advantage in football terms to have this additional language.

I have been pushing for this for many years.

If you look through the list of languages in the game, there's just no argument for not adding Welsh.

Seriously? Pushing for a language that wouldn't have any affect on the game? The Welsh are so sensitive about these things.

Probably because it's a pretty redundant language now. It's only spoken in Northern Wales but even there it's a pretty rare thing to see. Tends to only happen amongst the older ones now.

I personally think that Welsh is a stupid language anyway..I mean seriously, words without vowels?

The same argument could be had with Gaelic. Is it included in the game? If it isn't it really should be.

P.S. The amount of near racist comments in this thread appalls me. I can't believe that where we are in the world now spawns such ignorance and I'll be reporting such comments as "Welsh is a stupid language" and I wont be fobbed off by being told that its not racist or sectarian like I was in the FML incident.

First and final warning: any more nonsense regarding the validity of Welsh as a language in itself will be clamped down on. By all means feel free to argue against its validity in FM, but no more childish remarks about Welsh as a language please.

Ta.

By all means feel free to argue against its validity in FM

There is no need. There is no need for it, except for cosmetic purposes. There are far more important things that need working on in the research dept. than whether someone talks a language that isn't even used in the game in any way, shape or form, or not.

I really can't see why not, why not at all?

Plus all the other languages that aren't in the game should be included too, I am all for authenticity. So what is the reason for no then, how does it actually impact against it? In the game it's just a statement on the profile screen isn't it, surely that is all that it is. Isn't it?

As in player <x> speaks, languages, Swedish, English and Welsh.

So in my understanding of how I play an enjoy the game, I am miffed that it isn't it in and then so should be well in my eyes it's no game changer to how I play the game, just even more realistic surely.

It is just as there are many other languages that are in and should be in.

Regarding some bloomin' daft comments in this thread, I find the humour if intended is poorly written. I can take a joke some of these comments others may and will take great offence, even if it's a joke.

This argument is pretty much the same as one could have, to implement Basque or Catalan language where appropriate. No doubt there are other region specific dialects or languages in other countries around the world, that could be argued for.

In all fairness though, it wouldn't make such a huge difference to the game itself, to make the effort worthwhile. It's entirely possible, that it would require a considerable amount of research effort, database updating, taking stock of player adaptability issues, language learning, etc... Then, what if there's mistakes and they cause problems? More people complain?

Just my opinion. :)

I really can't see why not, why not at all?

Plus all the other languages that aren't in the game should be included too, I am all for authenticity. So what is the reason for no then, how does it actually impact against it? In the game it's just a statement on the profile screen isn't it, surely that is all that it is. Isn't it?

As in player <x> speaks, languages, Swedish, English and Welsh.

So in my understanding of how I play an enjoy the game, I am miffed that it isn't it in and then so should be well in my eyes it's no game changer to how I play the game, just even more realistic surely.

It is just as there are many other languages that are in and should be in.

Regarding some bloomin' daft comments in this thread, I find the humour if intended is poorly written. I can take a joke some of these comments others may and will take great offence, even if it's a joke.

The problem I have with the realism argument is how it will be researched and applied? I'm sure you'll agree that not all Welsh players speak Welsh so who would the language be applied to? All Welsh players? Some Welsh players? What about non-Welsh players who play or have played for Welsh clubs? Should it be applied to them as well?

I think it would be far too much work for what really is a cosmetic feature. Unless there are clubs where Welsh is the language predominantly used by the manager it would have no impact.

This argument is pretty much the same as one could have, to implement Basque or Catalan language where appropriate. No doubt there are other region specific dialects or languages in other countries around the world, that could be argued for.

In all fairness though, it wouldn't make such a huge difference to the game itself, to make the effort worthwhile. It's entirely possible, that it would require a considerable amount of research effort, database updating, taking stock of player adaptability issues, language learning, etc... Then, what if there's mistakes and they cause problems? More people complain?

Just my opinion. :)

Now that makes perfect sense I completely agree. I would like to see it added, I would prefer even more, further 'cosmetic' touches to the game, although I appreciate that's to come; which further enhances the game. I couldn't of stated it better myself, hence quoted you.

Maybe this is one for for 2012 possibly, I can't see it's really that hard, but I really do agree with you. :thup:

Gaelic isn't considered a language in the game

not that it really matters are there are no footballers who speak Gaelic but not English.

Every single minor regional language is not necessary to be put into the game

Someone who speaks Welsh would be able to fit into a Welsh club a lot easier than if they couldn't.

There's a game mechanic for you. Same reason any language is included into the game in the first place.

'w' is a vowel in Welsh, yes, but not in German.

der Wein (pronounced 'vine')

waschen (pronounced 'vashen')

wahrscheinlich (pronounced var-shine-lish)

'W' is just another consonant in German, but pronounced with a 'v' sound.

'w' is a vowel in Welsh, yes, but not in German.

der Wein (pronounced 'vine')

waschen (pronounced 'vashen')

wahrscheinlich (pronounced var-shine-lish)

'W' is just another consonant in German, but pronounced with a 'v' sound.

and 'V' with an 'F'

but german is not welsh, maybe his example was wrong

Someone who speaks Welsh would be able to fit into a Welsh club a lot easier than if they couldn't.

There's a game mechanic for you. Same reason any language is included into the game in the first place.

I beg to differ as to whether or not this is the case IRL. You don't get people in South Wales speaking the Welsh language, only in the Northern reaches. However, I'd say its about 10% of the Welsh population, no more than 20%, that speak to the language.

You'd probably be able to settle in easier if you spoke English and ended up at a club in North Wales (Rhyl for example).

I find that when I'm visiting family in North Wales, people do tend to look down at you if you can't speak Welsh, especially (like my dad) if you already have a welsh accent. I hate this whole elitist thing when you should speak Welsh if you are Welsh. Yes I know it retains the culture, but I've once been refused to be served in a shop there, because I don't speak Welsh. It's pointless, they can all speak English anyway.

Except for that mechanic isn't in the game currently. If you tried to do that in the game's current implementation you'd be forcing everyone who played in Wales to learn Welsh. Reprogramming the languages just so that Wlesh could be implemented in the way you want would be a complete waste of time. Yes if the game was perfect and bug free then spend some time on the issue, but as it isn't there are more important things to work on.

On topic, theres a very simple reason why Welsh isn't in the game.

Furthermore, there are many other languages not in the game that are far more widely spoken than Welsh and may have implications. For example the many native african languages which may allow people from former British and French territories to communicate without learning another language. For example the Ewe language spoken in Ghana (officially English speaking) and Togo (officially French speaking) by over 3 million people.

Ridiculous argument. I cant say for certain about the exact demographics of FM users, but I suspect there are a lot more welsh people that play the game, than africans who speak "ewe".

No reason at all for it not to be in game.

Ridiculous argument. I cant say for certain about the exact demographics of FM users, but I suspect there are a lot more welsh people that play the game, than africans who speak "ewe".

No reason at all for it not to be in game.

Yeah but how many Welsh users actually speak Welsh. I'm an Irish speaker myself (don't use that often but can), but I'm perfectly happy not having it in the game, as the numbers of Irish speakers (especially those who use it as a matter of course) is going to be very small.

Where it is the main language of a large number of people like the example of Ewe or Flemish then there is a case for putting the language in the game (maybe not enough of a one but it's still there).

If we put in languages like Welsh, then we would have to put in a lot of stuff like Alsatian; Basque; Breton; Catalan; Corsican; Flemish; Franco-Provençal; Lorraine Franconian, Occitan; Oïl languages for France, Romansch for Stwitzerland, Low Rhenish; Limburgish; Luxembourgish; Alemannic; Yiddish, Upper Sorbian, Lower Sorbian, North Frisian, Saterland Frisian, Romani, Low German for Germany, Achang, Ai-Cham, Akha, Amis, Atayal, Ayi, Äynu, Babuza, Bai, Baima, Basay, Blang, Bonan, Bunun, Buyang, Daur, De'ang, Derung, Dong, Dongxiang, E, Chinese Pidgin English, Ersu, Evenki, Fuyü Gïrgïs, Gelao, Groma, Hani, Hlai, Ili Turki, Iu Mien, Jingpho, Jino, Jurchen, Kanakanabu, Kangjia, Kavalan, Kim Mun, Khitan, Lahu, Lisu, Lop, Macanese, Manchu, Miao, Maonan, Mongolian, Monguor, Monpa, Mulam, Nanai, Naxi, Paiwan, Pazeh, Puyuma, Ong-Be, Oroqen, Qabiao, Qoqmončaq, Northern Qiang, Southern Qiang, Prinmi, Rukai, Saaroa, Saisiyat, Salar, Seediq, She, Siraya, Sui, Tai Dam, Tai Lü, Tai Nüa, Tao, Tangut, Thao, Amdo Tibetan, Central Tibetan, Standard Tibetan, Khams Tibetan, Tsat, Tsou, Tujia, Uyghur, Wutun, Xibe, Yi, Eastern Yugur, Western Yugur, Zhaba, Zhuang for China just to mention four countries represented in the database. I would be willing to bet that a large number of these languages are much better maintained than Welsh and Irish.

Sorry for the wall of text, but that is the nighmare you are letting yourself in for if you want to try coding in a minority language, you let all the others in.

The welsh are pretty bad in North Wales when it comes to the English. If you can't speak Welsh then they definitely look down on you. Thankfully, I have no plans to visit North Wales so I don't have to worry.

I'm playing golf in Conwy in the Summer. I had better learn the Welsh for "FORE!"

I've lived in Wales for most of my life and speak a little Welsh. The only fluent speakers in Wales are farmers or people who live in the Valleys. It's very rare to find people who speak Welsh in the more populated places. A lot of people who live in Wales are English anyway. When I was in school there was a survey that went around and it was something like 1 in 3 people were English. It's pointless even to have the Welsh language in the game, it wouldn't serve a function. The use for the Welsh language isn't needed since a lot of the population is English or has somewhere not far down the line, English descendants. It's sad that a once proud language is no longer used but it happens.

It's easy enough to add it in the database. I should know - I added all the Celtic languages and some of the regional ones from Spain and France.

While this is true, it would be much more difficult to make it work like IRL. If only 10-20% of the Welshactually speak Welsh, how would the game decide who speaks Welsh and who doesn't? Way too much work for little benefit IMO.

Probably because it's a pretty redundant language now. It's only spoken in Northern Wales but even there it's a pretty rare thing to see. Tends to only happen amongst the older ones now.

I personally think that Welsh is a stupid language anyway..I mean seriously, words without vowels?

i cant even begin to tell you how wrong everything you said here is wrong... on so many levels..

its not redundant in any way, shape or form... its spoken throughout the whole country .. 1 in 5 at last count and its increasing..

kids are taught it in school and its the fastest growing home grown language in the uk.. which isnt hard considering every other language is dying out.. including the percentage of english speakers funnily enough...

language without vowels? go back to school. son.... there are no languages without vowels... W is like the english U is welsh and gives the vowel sound.. etc etc...

again a typical view of 'hey its different to what i know... must be crap' .

oh and yes.. im fluent in welsh.. its taught in school everywhere apart from cardiff and satellite towns..

While this is true, it would be much more difficult to make it work like IRL. If only 10-20% of the Welshactually speak Welsh, how would the game decide who speaks Welsh and who doesn't? Way too much work for little benefit IMO.

That's the problem. Because I'm still playing with a save I started when the game first came out, I haven't seen it work in action yet but I gave it a low percentage of Welsh speakers (about 15 or 20% IIRC) and set 'Welsh' as the main language of some towns where it is the first language, while keeping English for everywhere else. It would be interesting to see how it works. Maybe there'll be a test soon...

And as for existing players, I just haven't bothered so it would probably only work with regens.

No Irish language either? I find that a bit weird. Whereas it wouldn't add anything to game - I still want the Irish players to have their national language in the game.

How about we remove English and replace it with American??? :p

Archived