[iPhone] First FMH update now available for download (now available Worldwide)

• SI Staff

The first update for Football Manager Handheld - iPhone is now available from the AppStore as a free download.

The full fix list for the game is detailed below:

Tuned number of outfield players listed for loan

Made big name players less patient at sitting on sidelines

Fix club b-team budget display issues in some leagues

Allow linking to players full profile pages from match review page

Correct Page History on some bookmark pages

Fix rogue [] displayed in Junior N'Tame's name

Name generation improvements for non-active leagues

Fixed loss of shading on info column in squad page

Added contract expiry view to squad page

Added Transfer Budget display to search page

Added Transfer Budget display to scout result page

Various minor text and grammar fixes (all languages)

Fix language selection display glitch

Fixed issue with human club finances when using qstarts

Fix issue with taking over Dumfermline job at game start

Fix for match 2d sync issue

Added support section to game

New larger database with improved player retention

Autosave now saves to temporary file initially

We will be continuing to monitor feedback and you can expect subsequent updates to the game to appear in due course at semi-regular intervals, all feedback given by people is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Marc

PS - Both versions have an incorrect iTunes version number of 1.3 in the store itself, the game shows in the credits the version as 1.2 that is 'expected'.

It's already available in the Argentine store, at least. Do you need to start a new game for these changes have an effect?

Will the next update fix the two errors I mentioned in other threads:

- The South American Copa Libertadores final should be two-legged, with extra-time and penalties, no away goals rule

- The relegation from Brazilian National Second and from the Brazilian São Paulo State Championship is not working properly as most of the teams that are supposed to get relegated never are.

• SI Staff
It's already available in the Argentine store, at least. Do you need to start a new game for these changes have an effect?

The only change which won't take effect in an existing game are the database changes.

Will the next update fix the two errors I mentioned in other threads:

- The South American Copa Libertadores final should be two-legged, with extra-time and penalties, no away goals rule

- The relegation from Brazilian National Second and from the Brazilian São Paulo State Championship is not working properly as most of the teams that are supposed to get relegated never are.

I'll take a look at these - it might not be possible however if they are found to potentially break save games (as thats something I'm not willing to do); I'll look into it ... thats all I can promise I'm afraid.

The only change which won't take effect in an existing game are the database changes.

I'll take a look at these - it might not be possible however if they are found to potentially break save games (as thats something I'm not willing to do); I'll look into it ... thats all I can promise I'm afraid.

Thanks for the quick answer! :thup:

• SI Staff
hmm how do i get the update? i search and cant see any info on itunes do i need to download the game again? cos when i tried to put that option it says it will charge me for the download :confused:

Its only available via. the non-us stores, if you look on your device the 'AppStore' icon should have a number embedded on it (in a red circle) - this is the number of updates to applications installed which are available to download.

Click on the app store to open it and then on the bottom far right icon which indicates 'updates' and one of those available to you should be 'Football Manager Handheld 2010' (then click on that and hit the 'free' button to download it).

(obviously this is presuming you already own a copy of the game - if not then I'm afraid the game itself isn't free - you'll have to purchase it)

Hope this helps,

Marc

Just curious, are these semi updates likely to come weekly, fornightly monthly? I'm still thinking about buying it, I would presume you wouldn't say whether the price was about to come down soon (I'm stingy, I know).

I'll end up getting it regardless, but I'm gonna finish up a few other games I bought, otherwise I probably will ignore the rest once I start this. Plus I'd like to start with as updated a game as possible, if there are going to be more updates coming relatively soon with improvements that won't translate to saved games.

Thank you so much for this update :)

I have a problem/question. What I waited for was the improved/extended database size, but it seems that it's not improved at all. Maybe it's just me. I'm playing with a German team (Kiel) and if I search all players, it "only" finds 3364 players. It's the same as before the update. If I start a game with one of the english teams, it finds 4xxx players.

Is this normal or do I maybe have to re-install the game?

It would be cool to have the FULL DATABASE no mather which league you are playing in. So 20xxx players would be nice :) I doesn't see how it could affect the performance. I mean the game runs very fast with 4xxx players.

But thanks again for this update :thup:

First off thanks for the update Marc!

Thank you so much for this update :)

I have a problem/question. What I waited for was the improved/extended database size, but it seems that it's not improved at all. Maybe it's just me. I'm playing with a German team (Kiel) and if I search all players, it "only" finds 3364 players. It's the same as before the update. If I start a game with one of the english teams, it finds 4xxx players.

Is this normal or do I maybe have to re-install the game?

It would be cool to have the FULL DATABASE no mather which league you are playing in. So 20xxx players would be nice :) I doesn't see how it could affect the performance. I mean the game runs very fast with 4xxx players.

But thanks again for this update :thup:

We'll never have access to the full database during a game because it would make the game unplayable; I think Marc mentioned on the forum that even the full PC version doesn't use the full database: each version takes a sample from the database when a new game is started.

• SI Staff
Just curious, are these semi updates likely to come weekly, fornightly monthly? I'm still thinking about buying it, I would presume you wouldn't say whether the price was about to come down soon (I'm stingy, I know).

I'm very reluctant to give an 'exact' schedule for the updates because one might get delayed by QA either at SEGA or Apple, for this reason all I can say is that we'll be supporting the game to the best of our ability and releasing them semi-regularly.

With regards to the pricing of the game - I'm a developer not a business person so I don't know if there are any plans afoot in that regard, I haven't heard anything (but then again I might not before it actually happens ;) ).

I'll end up getting it regardless, but I'm gonna finish up a few other games I bought, otherwise I probably will ignore the rest once I start this. Plus I'd like to start with as updated a game as possible, if there are going to be more updates coming relatively soon with improvements that won't translate to saved games.

As always any updates done will ensure compatibility with existing save games and in 99% of cases any improvements will automatically occur within an existing save game; the 1% is generally for things like database changes (where we've added players in etc.).

• SI Staff
Cheers for the info Marc, glad that there's a resolution to the auto-save issue :thup:

Please bear in mind this DOESNT stop the game from being terminated mid-save by the iPhone OS (I can't prevent this although I am still trying to optimise the save for update 2 to make it less likely that this happens*) it does however ensure that you won't lose your existing save game if this does happen.

If you have experienced any issues with autosaving (and its only a small fraction of users who appear to do so) then please use the manual save system within the game which can be found under 'Options - Save Game'.

Hope this helps,

Marc

*There isn't a set 'time' available for an application to exit when someone quits the application basically and if you start an intensive app up (mail and browser seem to be the worst resource hogs) then this can prevent the save from completing for several minutes (because its simply not getting any time to process its saving) ... if this occurs the OS at some point might terminate the application.

First off thanks for the update Marc!

We'll never have access to the full database during a game because it would make the game unplayable; I think Marc mentioned on the forum that even the full PC version doesn't use the full database: each version takes a sample from the database when a new game is started.

I don't think it would be unplayable with 20.000 palyers. It would affect the performance but I'm okay with that.

By the way, how many players are included in the english leagues after the Update?

I'm wondering if it's just me, but the number of players haven't changed.

I hope I don't sound too rude, but what makes you think increasing the size of the database by five times would have no effect on performance? The iPhone / iPod Touch is a limited device and I'm sure the database size has been optimised with this in mind.

SI obviously have a large database of players available from the PC/Mac version and if they could squeeze it into the iPhone/iPod version, I'm sure they would. However they obviously have not been able to at this time.

I'm sure we would all like to have a bigger database but at the moment I think FM2010 is a good balance of content and speed. For example when I'm playing on my Mac I play with a large database and with quite a lot of leagues running because I don't mind if I have to wait a little while when hitting the continue button. But if I'm having a quick game on my iPhone on my lunch break in work, I don't want to be wasting precious game-play time waiting for the game to process.

Who knows, maybe in the future they can optimise the game further and increase the database size. But I'm sure we can both agree that it is a very good first attempt ;)

Please bear in mind this DOESNT stop the game from being terminated mid-save by the iPhone OS (I can't prevent this although I am still trying to optimise the save for update 2 to make it less likely that this happens*) it does however ensure that you won't lose your existing save game if this does happen.

If you have experienced any issues with autosaving (and its only a small fraction of users who appear to do so) then please use the manual save system within the game which can be found under 'Options - Save Game'.

Hope this helps,

Marc

*There isn't a set 'time' available for an application to exit when someone quits the application basically and if you start an intensive app up (mail and browser seem to be the worst resource hogs) then this can prevent the save from completing for several minutes (because its simply not getting any time to process its saving) ... if this occurs the OS at some point might terminate the application.

Ah cool, thanks for the clarification, be interesting to see what happens when Apple release the 4.0 OS.

Thanks for the update, Marc. Was pleasantly surprised to see. A few things, though.

1. I don't know if it's just on my country's (Indonesia) App Store, but the FMH page states the latest version is 1.3. I almost though that SI/Apple witheld updates one version older! FYI, the currency is in US$.

2. What sort of players get added in? I have two game saves at the moment (Valencia and Villa), so do I need to start a new game or not?

3. Where do you place the thread on feedback for future updates? It'd be nice to have a centralized spot, I think.

• SI Staff
Thanks for the update, Marc. Was pleasantly surprised to see. A few things, though.

1. I don't know if it's just on my country's (Indonesia) App Store, but the FMH page states the latest version is 1.3. I almost though that SI/Apple witheld updates one version older! FYI, the currency is in US$.

It should indicate 1.2, its a mistake but can't be corrected now - the game displays 1.2 on its credits page and I'll sync the two up again next update (which will probably end up being 1.4 despite only being the second one) .... not the end of the world though.

2. What sort of players get added in? I have two game saves at the moment (Valencia and Villa), so do I need to start a new game or not?

Its mainly tuning and tweaking to add in players which people were missing from their squads which they'd indicated were important enough to be retained.

Biggest named UK player now in is David Bentley - tbh if you weren't feeling that you were missing anyone I'd continue as you are.

3. Where do you place the thread on feedback for future updates? It'd be nice to have a centralized spot, I think.

Please post feeedback here, although we are monitoring the entire forum and Stuart is kindly posting any issues raised into our bug reporting system for me to attend to asap.

Hi Marc

I don't think the 2D issue fix has worked.

First game after I installed the fix (on my save game from before the fix) I had it happen at around 73 minutes in the second half. Strange thing was that just then seemed to increase the frequency of 2d clips (although this could, of course just be coincidence that there were a large number of close calls in the closing stages

I've checked and the game is sowing as V1.2 now

Let me know if you need any details

Thanks

Rob

Hi Marc

Thanks for the update.

The autosave seems fine now and I am not experiencing any issues within the 2d which is excellent.

I have noticed a bug which is still present. This may be one you have saved for a future update.

- I started a match on commentary only. I went into settings during the game and changed to pitch zoomed. When coming out, the opposition were 1-0 up. This happens a few times when I switch between the 2 settings but mainly when going from Commentary only to Pitch Zoomed.

• SI Staff
Hi Marc

- I started a match on commentary only. I went into settings during the game and changed to pitch zoomed. When coming out, the opposition were 1-0 up. This happens a few times when I switch between the 2 settings but mainly when going from Commentary only to Pitch Zoomed.

I'll check this - it might be that for some reasons the match isn't pausing totally when you're on that page, if so it'd be a good one to get fixed obviously.

• SI Staff
marc thanks for the update. Did you ever find any issues with player searches (searching by name/surname?)

A couple of people reported issues in this area and its something I'll be looking into for the second update.

I don't think it would be unplayable with 20.000 palyers. It would affect the performance but I'm okay with that.

By the way, how many players are included in the english leagues after the Update?

I'm wondering if it's just me, but the number of players haven't changed.

I'm not sure you know better than the developers: given that the full database is not used by the PC/MAC because it would be unplayable I don't see how the iPhone/iTouch would be better at handling that amount of information.

First of all, thanks for an excellent game it really reminds me of the CM00/01 era.

However a bit disappointed with the update as it doesn't fix the fundamental flaws in the game

i.e.

Tactics - the inability to give individual tactics (surely a simply click into the player/position in the formation window could bring up this menu?) i.e man marking/playmaker/individual passing/run with ball/forward runs etc. Also lack of custom formations (would work great on the touch screen, for instance if you can have the flexibility of the preferred position grid in a formation, it would be wicked)

Inability to search based on attributes (surely this is quite an easy update, just a DB query?

Lack of prize money/ticket revenues etc and lack of real media interaction

The game is great, but without the tactics option, you do feel limited in what you can do as a manager to effect the game. I understand it's a 'mobile' app, however there are a number of other ares which go into far more depth (the training for instance) but it seems to miss out to me the fundamentals of the game.

I for one, don't really care for the odd missing player and the odd small bug, thats to be expected, but the game play and the ability to affect the game is key :)

Anyway, fingers crossed for this improvement in the future.

• SI Staff

Some things will have to wait for a second iteration of the game (ie. I'm not going to fundamentally rewrite any systems (ie. tactics) in an update because it'd break save game compatibility which isn't acceptable to me).

Other things such as attribute based search I'm assessing at present HOWEVER first and foremost I'll be hitting any serious bugs which are present rather than looking at extending things in this way, please bear with me - until we perfect the cloning system we use inhouse it might take me a little while to cover everything ;)

PS - Also please do bear in mind I don't ever intend FMHi to become FM PC, its simply not the aim of the game - I want it to stay a slightly faster and more 'fun' management sim ... while of course being as realistic as possible.

• SI Staff
Marc - have you guys decided what will be included in the 2nd update?

Not at present I'm afraid, I'm assessing things at present (so thanks to everyone who's giving feedback :D) and drawing up a 'hit list' .... once we're closer to release I'll probably be able to release a list of items which will be in it (you might notice sporadically I might mention in passing that something is fixed in the next update too where QA have validated a fix already).

Not at present I'm afraid, I'm assessing things at present (so thanks to everyone who's giving feedback :D) and drawing up a 'hit list' .... once we're closer to release I'll probably be able to release a list of items which will be in it (you might notice sporadically I might mention in passing that something is fixed in the next update too where QA have validated a fix already).

OK. A question, one of the fixes for update 1 is:

Tuned number of outfield players listed for loan

Does that actually affect the ease of getting players loaned out?

I have had absolutely no luck in trying to loan out my young guns in the original release.

Some things will have to wait for a second iteration of the game (ie. I'm not going to fundamentally rewrite any systems (ie. tactics) in an update because it'd break save game compatibility which isn't acceptable to me).

Other things such as attribute based search I'm assessing at present HOWEVER first and foremost I'll be hitting any serious bugs which are present rather than looking at extending things in this way, please bear with me - until we perfect the cloning system we use inhouse it might take me a little while to cover everything ;)

PS - Also please do bear in mind I don't ever intend FMHi to become FM PC, its simply not the aim of the game - I want it to stay a slightly faster and more 'fun' management sim ... while of course being as realistic as possible.

Thanks Marc.

That is a shame, I suppose the economics of it don't make sense. However I would point out (without trying to be an arse) that I wouldn't buy FM2011 unless the tactics were improved, as to me its the fundamental of the game. Clubs badges and eye candy don't interest me personally.

Whilst i understand it will never be FMPC, i think this functionality should be included, there will always be the natural sacrifices of a handheld version which will prevent the two meetign two much in the middle :)

P.S at £7 a pop, i thought they'd have more developers with you. :D

• SI Staff
Thanks Marc.

That is a shame, I suppose the economics of it don't make sense. However I would point out (without trying to be an arse) that I wouldn't buy FM2011 unless the tactics were improved, as to me its the fundamental of the game. Clubs badges and eye candy don't interest me personally.

Nothing to do with 'economics' tbh - there are a lot of people actively playing games now and as such anything which might break their saves unexpectedly would be foolish to add into an update imho; simply put do you ready the text for an 'update' before you install it on the iPhone, I know I don't ;)

Whilst i understand it will never be FMPC, i think this functionality should be included, there will always be the natural sacrifices of a handheld version which will prevent the two meetign two much in the middle :)

Please bear in mind I'm not saying 'never' - just trying to be honest and indicate that there are limitations to things which will be added in updates and explain 'why' thats the case.

P.S at £7 a pop, i thought they'd have more developers with you.

I have company from time to time don't worry - Richard Jones who's on the PSP dev team has helped out when I've needed it and also do bear in mind that there are a considerable number of other people assisting in the development of the product also - just because they're not coders doesn't mean their help isn't vital to the product ... for instance Chris Rice is the chap who did all artwork used in the game and he also helped hugely with the actual design and development of the GUI itself (sometimes I think he must be psychic because I'll give him an incoherant ramble about how a screen should look and an hour later he's done a perfect mockup of it exactly how I saw it in my head ;) ), Stuart Warren and David Milmine have done much of the QA on the product and also risen above and beyond their remit by helping to encode the text used in the manual applcation etc.

(and finally the game sits on much of the FMH PSP 'game engine' and uses an extraction from the FM PC database so you could easily argue that anyone who has worked on those products has also helped with FMH iPhone :D)

Never under-estimate how much of a team effort any game Sports Interactive create is .....

• SI Staff
Also, i'd like to point out, the freezing in 2D mode has got much much worse for me post update. Never happened at Corners before..

Thanks for the information - would you be kind enough to PM (or email - marc.vaughan@sigames.com) information about your setup (OS version, device spec, club managed, in game date etc.) then it will help me track down the issue.

For most people the update seems to have reduced the frequency of such issues drastically, but it does appear there is at least one 'sync' glitch left in the system somewhere - I'll keep tracking it and hopefully get it squashed for update 2 (please be patient with me - its very hard to reproduce here, I think I've only seen it happen twice on my own hardware to debugging and fixing the issue is fairly hard and I have to resort to getting as much information as possible and then 'dry running' the code (that is working it through by hand in my head and trying to ascertain where a problem might be, with 250,000 lines of code in the game thats fairly painstaking and any information people can give to narrow things down helps hugely).

First of all, thanks for an excellent game it really reminds me of the CM00/01 era.

However a bit disappointed with the update as it doesn't fix the fundamental flaws in the game

i.e.

Tactics - the inability to give individual tactics (surely a simply click into the player/position in the formation window could bring up this menu?) i.e man marking/playmaker/individual passing/run with ball/forward runs etc. Also lack of custom formations (would work great on the touch screen, for instance if you can have the flexibility of the preferred position grid in a formation, it would be wicked)

Inability to search based on attributes (surely this is quite an easy update, just a DB query?

Lack of prize money/ticket revenues etc and lack of real media interaction

The game is great, but without the tactics option, you do feel limited in what you can do as a manager to effect the game. I understand it's a 'mobile' app, however there are a number of other ares which go into far more depth (the training for instance) but it seems to miss out to me the fundamentals of the game.

I for one, don't really care for the odd missing player and the odd small bug, thats to be expected, but the game play and the ability to affect the game is key :)

Anyway, fingers crossed for this improvement in the future.

Remember, this is the first version for the Ipod/Iphone. It will not have all features in the first "years" release. The PSP version has been added to and changed over the 5+ years it has been out.

If you put any "wants" and "wishes" in this thread here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=203309 -the devs can look at what everyone wants for future versions.

Hi Marc

Please could you find the time to look at my ideas for the update. Thanks in advance.

1) Increased choice of tactics - Eg: Target Man, Attack down specific flank/middle, man marking etc

2) Youth players from the reserve team get "promoted" to the first team at points during the game (I don't know if this happens already but in 2 seasons I have not recieved a message saying so)

3) Increased transfer budgets (I know people have said this a lot but a few hundred thousand isn't enough to buy in the market without selling, I am not talking much and I understand teams in places are not that rich but please can you review the system). Maybe introduce money for each cup round passed?

4) Ability to delete old careers (I know you can overwrite but this would still be nice to have the option to delete one)

5) A button to take the user back to the first screen (with new game, load etc) as I find it arduous to have to quit the application to play on a different career, when one button can take me back

Thanks Marc again and keep up the good work!

Big changes a foot in the iPhone OS 4.0 , biggest one that will help FM is the multi tasking. They have managed to allow people to use more than one application at the same time without draining battery or Processor speed. In testing apparently they could play big games, like Sims and Madden with their music playing in the background and the batteries lasted a lot longer than the current 3GS just playing music.

Sounds really good for future FMH iPhone versions

I've been playing the update and the following still seems to happen so I wonder if it is intentional or a bug?

-Swapping selected players removes them from the penalty taker, free kick taker and corner taker lists;

-Swapping formations changes team instructions e.g. changing from 4-4-2 to 4-1-3-2 sets tackling to committed and passing to short.

• SI Staff
I've been playing the update and the following still seems to happen so I wonder if it is intentional or a bug?

-Swapping selected players removes them from the penalty taker, free kick taker and corner taker lists;

This wasn't intentional and I'll look into this.

-Swapping formations changes team instructions e.g. changing from 4-4-2 to 4-1-3-2 sets tackling to committed and passing to short.

This was intentional - however I'm happy to revise this if people concur its not something which is intuitive (over to you chaps ;) ).

This wasn't intentional and I'll look into this.

This was intentional - however I'm happy to revise this if people concur its not something which is intuitive (over to you chaps ;) ).

I would have thought that a formation change would naturally need a review of the team instructions because team instructions like passing style, team mentality etc wouldn't necessarily be the same with all formations.

Im happy with it how it is myself.

3) Increased transfer budgets (I know people have said this a lot but a few hundred thousand isn't enough to buy in the market without selling, I am not talking much and I understand teams in places are not that rich but please can you review the system). Maybe introduce money for each cup round

budgets were sorted by turning off quickstarts in the preferences menu, shouldn't be a problem if you're running the first update.

I would have thought that a formation change would naturally need a review of the team instructions because team instructions like passing style, team mentality etc wouldn't necessarily be the same with all formations.

Im happy with it how it is myself.

I'd say it should stay the same until the player decides to alter it. The instructions should match the players in the formation not the formation itself.

I'd say it should stay the same until the player decides to alter it. The instructions should match the players in the formation not the formation itself.

Stay the same as in remain from the previous formation? I think that intuitively when one sets a formation it should just be the formation and not formation plus team instructions.

• SI Staff
A couple of questions first off is there any more news about this update hitting the US app store?

Just checked her and now and we're still waiiting for its release.

The update will go 'live' as soon as Apple approve it and that isn't something which is directly under our control (but should hopefully be soon).

Also has any thought been given to new features like team talks and such and would the addition of new features such as that also break saved games?

Any large new features like these will have to wait for a later version of the game rather than a support update - I very much want to avoid breaking save games in updates as that would adversely affect the enjoyment of the game for a lot of users.

Archived