Clubs reputation takes too long to increase?

Started a game as Athletico Cluidad in the bottom tier of Spain, club appears to only have been in exsistence since 2007 and only had a 1000 capacity stadium that I never filled so a tiny insignificant club I'll admit. Someone fluked my way to a playoff spot the first season and ended up in Liga Adelante after one season. No great thing but enough you'd think to make the club with its new found bit of money a more attractive prospect.

Managed to avoid relegation in my first season in Liga Adelante just barely and now halfway through my second season am in a position where a great end of season run could possibly see my promoted to La Liga.

Despite this moderate success I'm stll unable to attract anyone at all decent to the club, free transfer players refuse to talk to me and sign for clubs in the league below me, club has about £2million in the bank that I can't use as nobody other than 17/18 year olds worth 100k want to sign for me at all. Can't even convince loans from my parent club to in La Liga to drop one division to join me the season.

Is this a known issue that will resolve itself a bit faster now that I'm going to be a compettitive team in my division or am I stuck waiting years for the game to naturally up my reputation little by little?

Well looking at the reps in my game, Adelante is at a rep of 12 maximum, so unless you're a big team doing a bit of yo-yoing your rep shouldnt get above national. CA themselves are currently 2601 (Local rep) so I'm guessing thats about where you started, and the rep of the 2B leagues are 7 so your promotion would have likely not put you too far higher than that. I'd say after a season just avoiding relegation your rep would have stayed pretty static, and your main jump in reputation will happen only at season end. Personally you'd probably be better off staying down this season and consolidating for a promotion push next season, as it's a big jump from Segunda to La Liga.

Am wondering, are you able to offer decent wages?

Could be your finances are such that the teams in the league can afford higher wages than you

Half decent, nobody willing to join me is coming anywhere near close to wanting my maximum allowed. Finances are good at the club and make a few 100k profit a month.

Sounds realistic enough to me. Imagine Yeovil or Exeter got promoted to the Championship. You were offered the chance to play for Leeds or Charlton or Huddersfield in L1, or Exeter or Yeovil in the Championship. Which would you choose, and which would most people choose?

Even Blackpool near the top of the Chamionship would face a fight if they had to compete with Norwich or Leeds for a player.

Sounds realistic enough to me. Imagine Yeovil or Exeter got promoted to the Championship. You were offered the chance to play for Leeds or Charlton or Huddersfield in L1, or Exeter or Yeovil in the Championship. Which would you choose, and which would most people choose?

Even Blackpool near the top of the Chamionship would face a fight if they had to compete with Norwich or Leeds for a player.

Yes but I'm not talking a Leeds or Norwich I'm talking teams that have been in the bottom 5 or 6 of the lowest playable league the duration of the game getting players that won't even talk to me at all.

Yes but I'm not talking a Leeds or Norwich I'm talking teams that have been in the bottom 5 or 6 of the lowest playable league the duration of the game getting players that won't even talk to me at all.

I'd still rather talk to Swindon, Huddersfield, Oldham et al than Yeovil. One season in the second tier means nothing really. Establish yourself there and then your club's stock will rise steadily.

To counter your point jld,

a player who has the choice between a newly promoted championship team, and a team fighting for relegation in league one is likely to pick the championship team, simply because they will at least get one season in the higher league

If the team is relegated, they'll be at the level of the 2nd team anyway, but if the 2nd team is relegated, then they'll be even lower

Also, relegation release clauses exist for a reason, surely?

I do believe the slow rep increases were put in place to prevent newly promoted teams buying their way to a successive promotion, and SI may have inadvertently tipped the scales slightly more than needed

But who wants to play for a club with no history and in front of less than 1000 fans every week?

Players who play sunday league football in front of 40 people a week in a field?

Sillyness, they aren't professional, but I hope you understand the point

FM deals with mostly professional/semi-professional leagues, many leagues only have attendances of a couple hundred people

Plus, two potential advantages

1) Higher up the league system = more potential wages

2) Higher up the league system = scouts more likely to look at you, which could give you that "big break"

In terms of the game, I'm pretty sure only 4 things are considered with accepting/rejecting contracts

1) Reputation of offering clubs

2) Money being offered by accepting clubs (And to a degree, offered club status and maybe expect number of appearances)

3) Relations with club and any players at said club (Also, if offering club is in home nation plays a small part)

4) Reputation of club's manager

And, I believe it too be pretty much in this order. Though, with enough money and/or the right squad status, you can sometimes swap 1 & 2 (which allows mid-teams to buy players ahead of top-teams)

Also, I'm pretty sure the "Well Supported Club" and "Playing in Europe" excuses are either just for show, or based around rep, therefore you've gone back to number 1.

I say this because, I'm at a well supported club playing in europe, but still have on occasion been turned down to go to higher rep teams with a lower fan-base (going by maximum attendance levels here since we have no fan base value I'm aware of), who aren't in Europe, where the offered contracts/squad statuses are the same, 3 isn't a factor for these players, and the reps of both managers are the same

Players who play sunday league football in front of 40 people a week in a field?

Sillyness, they aren't professional, but I hope you understand the point

FM deals with mostly professional/semi-professional leagues, many leagues only have attendances of a couple hundred people

I was thinking of a 2nd tier pro team, and the standard of player that would attract. Should have made it clearer.

With regards to the rest of your post, I know what you mean totally. IRL different players would do different things because of their personality, maybe me and you would react differently if we got an offer from this club :D

It's a shame FM can't reflect these differences in personality, to my knowledge it's more formulaic, based on the 4 points you mentioned. I was just thinking of reasons why players might not be joining that team, as IMO club rep increases at an acceptable rate.

I agree that club rep rises at a decent rate

BUT, the problem I feel (and I've said this a hundred times before), too much is based on reputation, IRL, money talks, loyalty talks and so does pride, tbh outside of top, ambitious or disloyal players, the last two play a pretty decent part in the decision process

In the game, rep talks, money talks a little, the rest is there for the sake of "tie-breakers", and that's it

If anything, the [decision] logic could be argued as too simple

1) Reputation of offering clubs

2) Money being offered by accepting clubs (And to a degree, offered club status and maybe expect number of appearances)

Ive had lots of players (over the many versions of the game) disprove this a massive amount of times

unhappy tag appears -> 'Wants to move to bigger club' or 'Feels has achieved all he can' are usually in thier personal profile, sometimes they request a transfer and sometimes they don't.

A lot of the time they

move to clubs mired in relegation battles

move to clubs that have already acheived relegation

accept lower wages

accept lower team status and match time

move to a lower division (by extrapolation*) in a different country

sometimes the 'decisions' players make just don't make sense, especially when after declaring in the media they want to move AND refuse to renew a contract, then bitch&whine when you try to sell them.

*NB

By this i mean for example

Bulgarian A league transfer to Czech 2nd Division (in a relegation spot),

This has happened very recently in my current save with my Captain (keyplayer) who started every match

His statement was that he wanted to win medals & promotions ....... go figure .....

Yes he was Czech ...

@TheRealMagpies

What I mentioned is still holds out, since that will be the decision when deciding which of the buying teams to go too

If you've offered a counter contract to an unhappy player, by design they will reject it, so it will then flip back to the list I put above

I'm not saying that they WON'T move because they are currently on higher wages and player status at your team and your rep is higher

I'm saying once the decision to move has been made, how they decide which team to go to

Of course, you'll find exceptions (and I've even seen them myself), there are exceptions to every rule, this is a fact of life, but remember we are talking about 99% of cases here

If you can post an exception, please do, I'm not saying what I've put is rule of law, it's just by my own observations

Well, you are playing a team that is a really weird case in spanish football, with factors that are really hard to depict in a game, even this game!

Maybe so, but if they aren't depicted in the game, then they won't make a difference to the game logic

Really how so? Choose them randomly myself.

It's hard to explain, but I'll try.

First we have Ciudad de Murcia, a club that appears in 1999. Very fast, in 2003, it ends promoting to liga adelante, after playing in different stadiums along the low leagues in spain.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/CF_Ciudad_de_Murcia

In liga adelante they counted with well known names like Lillo and Güiza (who scored 21 goalds in his first and only season before being sold to Getafe)

The next season they were really close to promoting to primera. Have in mind that the other team of Murcia, Real Murcia, founded in 1908, was in Segunda too, and of course it was the most popular team in the City, obviously. Weird situation.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Murcia

The next year the Team was sold to the Owner of Granada 74, because the team was not helped at all by the authorities of the city of murcia. The team gets moved to Granada.

The few fans the team has ask the new owner to give them Ciudad de Murcia B, to be refounded as the new Ciudad de Murcia, but the federation cant let them do it, so they bought a small team, UD Lorquí and start almost from scratch, with the new Name, C.F Atlético ciudad.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atl%C3%A9tico_Ciudad

They still have lost of issues and problems, but this is it, long story short.

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm sure everyone has been frothing at the gash for the an update to at the end of the season having established myself as mid table side the club still could not attract anyone but a week after the transfer window opened the club finally officially went professional and its opened up to the sort of level I'd expect now. Bit annoyed its taken a technicality to sort out when all players and staff have been on full time contracts the whole time basically but its sorted now.

I'm in in my fourth season in the Premiership with Oldham, I've finished 11th, 11th, 5th and am current 1st in the middle of January... and my players are still getting angry that I'm rejecting bids from relegation battlers in Serie A, saying that they want to move on in order to win things.

This aspect of interaction is something I really hope gets sorted out in future versions of the game.

Archived