FM11: With ball and without ball positioning to return?

I remember in the old CM days, that you could set rudimentary positions for players both with and without the ball.

In the current days of Barcelona shifting a DM (Toure) to sit as a CB with the 2 CB's (Puyol & Pique) moving to the wings when the WB's (Abidal & Alves) have bombed forward, can we expect an introduction of this feature?

Example as well, instructions to specific players when the team don't have the ball. For example having one of the strikers drop off and mark the DM when the team doesn't have the ball to stop them having loads of time on the ball, but then to go back to stepping up to help with attack when the team does have the ball.

These can all easily be related to the player in question's positioning attribute...

I think it should be in. It's not telling players 'every moment where exactly they need to stand' but a general off the ball formation. All teams have an off the ball pattern as well as an on the ball one... It'd be a great strategy tool to make it easier to replicate real life movement of players, like the Yaya Toure example.

I think it should be in. It's not telling players 'every moment where exactly they need to stand' but a general off the ball formation. All teams have an off the ball pattern as well as an on the ball one... It'd be a great strategy tool to make it easier to replicate real life movement of players, like the Yaya Toure example.

Its already there, you just don't see it graphically.

The layout on the tactics screen is "Off the Ball" while the orders you give are "With the Ball"

The orders can of course be improved and perhaps a graphical representation of "With/Without ball" could be included but I've no doubt it won't return in its old form.

EDIT

Actually there are some examples of "Without Ball" orders as well within the current setup. My defensive forward for example makes a five man midfield when we lose the ball.

Its already there, you just don't see it graphically.

The layout on the tactics screen is "Off the Ball" while the orders you give are "With the Ball"

The orders can of course be improved and perhaps a graphical representation of "With/Without ball" could be included but I've no doubt it won't return in its old form.

Exactly. The roles/mentality take care of this for you.

Just because cm10 has it doesn't mean fm should have it.

Edit: if you want a striker to mark someone then you can set him to man mark.

From what I remember, both the with/without ball positioning and the directional arrows were removed because they created so many ME-breaking tactics, scenarios that the AI couldn't defend against, and had people howling on the forums on a regular basis. Like the corner (so called) bug, when an ME-breaking tactic is found is simply HAS to be used and it's all SI's fault that people can't resist using them.

They're there, it's individual instructions again. So it's that they're not graphically represented as arrows.

I mean the arrows that instruct the player to take another position (like in fm08..07..06..05), not the run forward arrows (fm09 and fm10) nor swap position with other player. Which individual instruction in FM2010 will tell a player to play as AMC when without possession and play AML while on possession?

Archived