International Management...any guides?

I've tried searching the forums before posting but haven't found anything. I've been offered international management for various teams before, but now there's one I want to take...except I've don't know anything about how to internationally manage!

I get the basic structure of how to manage teams in leagues, but I know international teams are different because their squads are called up from other teams. Are there any guides on how to begin once taking over an international team? Any help is welcome! :)

Good :)

Well first of all you will get news from the players whom you have in your national pool. This can be an advantage as now you can see every attribute of every Canadian player :D

Watch out for young talents now it's your job to promote them from the under 19th and under 21th sides.

Tactically it's the same as you would manage a club, but you have separate moral for club and country which is good.

Before every game you will be presented whit the opportunity to select your squad. I suggest that study your players well then decide whom to pick for your tactic.

But since you don't have the required depth and star power call up all those who are the best. Like 4 good ST and no DR then go for 3-4-3 tactic. Use your advantage if your star player is an MC build around him as you would do at your club.

At the nations information screen you'll find the players considered star players, don't forget to call them up :)

Good luck and post your progress I'm interested , any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks Eles Gergo! I appreciate the help. I've taken a look at my national pool and it doesn't seem too bad...not great, but not bad either. My main need is staff. Canada has their main team, U23s, and U20s and only right now have an Ass Man and a U20 Manager. So, I've put out job posting for U23 Manager, physio, coach and goal coach into. I understand scouting ability will be important as national teams don't have actual scouts? Thought I read that somewhere...

Thanks again! :)

Thanks Eles Gergo! I appreciate the help. I've taken a look at my national pool and it doesn't seem too bad...not great, but not bad either. My main need is staff. Canada has their main team, U23s, and U20s and only right now have an Ass Man and a U20 Manager. So, I've put out job posting for U23 Manager, physio, coach and goal coach into. I understand scouting ability will be important as national teams don't have actual scouts? Thought I read that somewhere...

Thanks again! :)

Under 23 are for the olimpic events so any players there I'll advise you to pick cause they just sitting there. Under 20 is even less used.

Regarding staff, you can go to any coach or even a manager and offer them the job. :)

Scouts you'll miss but you have an ass men, and yourself as well, I always spend a hefty amount of time just clicking on everyone assessing their strengths.

Get lucky :) I managed to win the 2022 World Cup with Mexico. I had a really easy run to the final and we were carried there by Vela. In the final England are 2-0 up by halftime. I had given up at this point. 82nd minute Andrade scores a 30 yarder, 92nd minute we hit them on the counter and Vela scores a tap-in. We went on to win on pens :) Well we were against England lol.

Yeah, the U23 has only 3 players assigned to it right now, so I won't worry too much about it, but I"ll take a look at the players to see if they're worry of the main team.

i currently manage Wales and have the youngest sqaud ever mostly 16-21 year olds and looking to build for the future. The results at the moment are mix n match with a 3-3 draw with england at Wembley but then a 5-1 loss to Tunisia. Hopefully il have a team capable of qualifying for a major championship.

As Russia, I lost the world cup final to Brazil.

I didn't like international management at all, it was like club with big gaps between games and no transfers.

One thing I kept forgetting was to put players back into the squad after an injury. Arshavin wasn't happy when I dropped him by accident.

That's my tip: don't do that.

• 3 months later...

Try this to get over the scouting problem.

Go to the player transfer window and set the filter to show only the players that are eligible to play for the country you are managing. Check the box to include your own players too. Then you can scout each of the players in turn (it also helps to have one of your scouts assigned to the country too) and get the reputation ratings for each. It can be a long job but I usually start with the most expensive players as they are probably the better ones anyway

On a different point i hope you can have more international friendlies before a tournament in FM11. I've just won the 2020 European championship with Italy and i could only arrange ONE friendly before the tournament and even then that was 2 months before!

Archived