Does anyone get any success when playing players out of position?

I was just wondering if, when you do have to play someone out of position, do you have any success?

The reason I ask is because I feel that players seem to become complete idiots when played out position no matter how good they are and I do not think that it should the case.

I know that playing a striker on the wing can be tough for the play since he is not accustom to being a set up man as he usually the finisher of plays (unless his name is Berbatov :mad:).

But, if say you were having 2 players switch position constantly (a striker and a winger), then the striker should be competent enough to at least be able to complete a cross since it is not like he does not cross the ball when he is up top (in many cases for me my strikers dribble wide and cross the ball in).

When you look at Chelsea, you have a front 3 of Drogba, Anelka (or Kalou or Cole), and Malouda. Generally they start with Malouda on the left, Drogba in the middle, and Anelka on the right......but they never end the game like that. I've seen Anelka switching between the right side and the middle, Drogba shows up everywhere in attack, and lately Malouda has been popping up as much on the right side as is on the left.

In fact Drogba pretty much acted as a winger as it was his left footed cross that was headed in by Anelka in Chelsea's 1-0 win over Bolton not to long ago.

And if you look at Barcelona......well you know. They are always switching positions.

In fact I remember a Serie A match last season when Inter Milan started with Mancini up front and Zlatan as a right winger.

I just would like to see in future version of this great game, that I am more than addicted to, an improvement to player's positional competence. Players shouldn't turn in to headless chickens when they are played out of position.

If I am wrong in this matter, do not hesitate to let men know.

Archived